CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 11-28-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
Dave Re

Profile:
Does this look like progress?

You tell me...

From my shooting blog (w/f safe): http://re-gun.blogspot.com/2007/11/r...-shooting.html
Old 11-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
Beau Bryant

Profile:
Re: Does this look like progress?

Dave,
Sent you a PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
Dave Re

Profile:

PM'ed ya back, Beau. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

Looks good to me bro. Keep it up.

What's your eventual goal?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
Dave Re

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Di Vita View Post
Looks good to me bro. Keep it up.
Hey, buddy Fancy meeting you here...

Quote:
What's your eventual goal?
As far as fitness goes? My working set right now is: 10% body fat (or less), hit 185#, 7 minute mile (with 5 minutes being my longer term goal), enough strength to do Linda as prescribed, hold a 1 minute unsupported handstand, and do 5 muscle ups. The first two are going to prove relatively easy, I think - I suspect those'll get knocked out soon, and updated. The others might take a little while...
Old 11-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

Very nice.

In my experience, getting down from 15% to 10% or lower bodyfat becomes largely more dependent on your diet the further down you go.

Are you able to do a muscle up? If not, how many full range dips and pullups can you do? (preferably on rings if available).

I've been doing a lot of work on handstand pushups lately as I think the shoulder and core strength derived from it is a great aid to us during field courses. I haven't tried a hold for a minute, but I think a big part of it would be keeping your core solid and engaged so you don't get any unwanted pelvic movement.

Just a few observations.

Keep it up!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
Dave Re

Profile:

Quote:
In my experience, getting down from 15% to 10% or lower bodyfat becomes largely more dependent on your diet the further down you go.
When I started this gig, I pretty much dove into Zone right away, too, so its hard for me to know exactly how much difference the diet made vs. the exercise. But, I've got a good start on managing the input to the system, too. Refinement will likely need to follow, I suspect

Quote:
Are you able to do a muscle up? If not, how many full range dips and pullups can you do? (preferably on rings if available).
No MUs, yet. Pullups are currently the limiting factor - from a dead hang, I can't even do one, yet. Just can't get started. Its getting better, though. I can do a ton of full range box dips - ring dips are tougher, but I can manage 5 or 6 before I start needing cheat... uh, I mean assistance. Those are getting stronger, too.

One of the sub-goals is to get some gear together at the house, so I can work some of those things on the off days, too - finding a spot to do pullups of any sort near my house has been a challenge, and having some rings to go with that would be right handy....

Quote:
I've been doing a lot of work on handstand pushups lately as I think the shoulder and core strength derived from it is a great aid to us during field courses. I haven't tried a hold for a minute, but I think a big part of it would be keeping your core solid and engaged so you don't get any unwanted pelvic movement.
Right now, they just beat up my shoulders, and I need a wall. Eventually, yeah, the core stuff has got to be pretty sweet from those - I can't help but think that the balance and body awareness benefits will be huge, too. I'm really digging the gymnastic stuff for that.

The cool part about all this is - I have a lot of room for improvement, so it shouldn't be hard at all to establish new goals and go after them. With the relatively random nature of the workouts, and such, it should keep my interest going for quite a while, I think (and hope).

Now, I'm really interested to see how this starts showing up in the scores at the matches
Old 11-29-2007, 04:37 AM   #8
Travis Loest

Profile:

In one word? YES! Great job!!
Old 11-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #9
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

Yeah absolutely. I think you will noticed a positive shift of close to 10% in your field course performance.

For the pull ups, you might just try starting out with jumping pullups and focusing on controlling the eccentric motion. Since you do have so much room for improvement you should make substantial gains pretty quickly.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:00 AM   #10
Dave Re

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah absolutely. I think you will noticed a positive shift of close to 10% in your field course performance.
10% would be a significant jump, for sure. Heck, if I could just close the gap between where I'm at now, and the speed that you and TT operate at, that would be a major improvement... I have some other thoughts, but they might be getting a little sport specific for this forum - I'll drop you a note offline...

Quote:
For the pull ups, you might just try starting out with jumping pullups and focusing on controlling the eccentric motion. Since you do have so much room for improvement you should make substantial gains pretty quickly.
Yeah, jumping pullups have been my sub, so far. I'm focusing on only jumping as much as I actually need to and making sure I'm pulling as much of it as I can. I need to look around a little harder for a pullup surface near the house - but I'm beginning to think that the doorway pullup bar will be the solution on that one.... Of course, if I lost another, say, 20#, they'd get a lot easier, too...

They've gotten a lot stronger, though, already. It won't be long before I'm pounding out 20 in a row, I'm pretty certain.

Hey, Travis, thanks for the kind word!!