CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 11-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
Jared Ashley

Profile:
The answer to "How fast will I see results"

Give it one month guys (and girls)... seriously, it will blow your mind!

Let me start by saying I am a rookie crossfitter (6 weeks) but NOT a rookie lifter. I've converted from 3 years of globogym-type training. The first year, I made huge gains with that, having never done anything prior. After that I've had to fight to stay motivated... gains slowed to a crawl, hence giving crossfit a try. So here's my story:

"Linda" was one of my first WOD's, and boy did she kick my a**. I'm about 137 lbs, and scaled to:

deadlift: 125 (did only 2 reps at 165, realized I needed to scale more)
bench: 115
clean: 65

Time: 31:35 - my back was shot, my legs were burning, my wrists hurt from bad form on cleans, I was breathing hard, and I really questioned if the program was for me, but I kept it up.

Repeated "Linda" today, 5 weeks later. I have done nothing but crossfit, mostly scaled, and admit I've missed 1 day a week or so.

deadlift: 170 (45 lb increase!!! Remember I couldn't even get through the first set at 165 last time)
bench: 137.5 (22.5 lb increase, and is as Rx'd!)
clean: 70 (could have done more, but still working on form)

Time: 35:50. Yeah, it's longer, but my back hurt LESS, my legs hurt LESS, my form on cleans still sucks but it's improving and my wrists don't hurt, and I didn't feel like I was sucking wind like the first time. Oh, and a lot of that extra time was taken up moving weights around... I only have 2 bars and had to change weights every set. first time only had to change weights for 2/3 of sets.

That's in 5 WEEKS! I haven't made gains like that since my first 5 weeks ever lifting. I've seen the change in my body too, as has my fiance... she approves.

Bottom line: crossfit is more fun, takes less time, is more effective, and can be done at home more easily with less equipment than any other program I have seen, and believe me, I've looked around. The community aspect is amazing also.

Thank you!
Old 11-21-2007, 01:45 AM   #2
John Maloney

Profile:
Re: The answer to "How fast will I see results"

Congrats Jared.

One of the greatest things about CF is that you've got goals built right in - completing a pullup, completing 20 pullups, performing a muscle-up, deadlifting 2x your bodyweight, beating your last Fran or Helen, adding 20 lbs to your OHS, etc. And unlike bodybuilding, you don't get easily bored with the drudgery of doing the same routines over & over. That kind of training will look like a hamster-wheel in hindsight. Because of the new skills, new PR's, new goals, new information (CFJ & videos) & community, you can truly envision the path, where you're at, & how far you have to go. For most people it's going to be a long road - many years of training to reach our potential. Just like black belts and PHD's, excellence doesn't come easy, nor should it. If you keep your training up you will see new PR's every month. You'll see everyone else's results and be humbled. This will fuel your commitment and steel your conviction. Your life changes and you gain focus. The importance of instant gratification fades. Things that used to be important become unimportant -and you wonder it took so long. You change your diet because your mission in life is to raise your game.

I have a long way to go. A killer Fran time is not imminent ... not yet. But I'm on the path and I see where it leads. It's taken me from "can't do 1 pull-up" to doing 200. I don't think in terms of a finish-line anymore as in a "12 week body transformation". That's short-sighted and temporary. I'm here for life. I only think in terms of goals and take joy in the journey. I will get that muscle-up. I will climb that rope sans feet. I will master double-unders and handstands. I will score 300 in Fight Gone Bad.

Last edited by John Maloney : 11-21-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

John...poignant response. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maloney View Post
Congrats Jared.

One of the greatest things about CF is that you've got goals built right in - completing a pullup, completing 20 pullups, performing a muscle-up, deadlifting 2x your bodyweight, beating your last Fran or Helen, adding 20 lbs to your OHS, etc. And unlike bodybuilding, you don't get easily bored with the drudgery of doing the same routines over & over. That kind of training will look like a hamster-wheel in hindsight. Because of the new skills, new PR's, new goals, new information (CFJ & videos) & community, you can truly envision the path, where you're at, & how far you have to go. For most people it's going to be a long road - many years of training to reach our potential. Just like black belts and PHD's, excellence doesn't come easy, nor should it. If you keep your training up you will see new PR's every month. You'll see everyone else's results and be humbled. This will fuel your commitment and steel your conviction. Your life changes and you gain focus. The importance of instant gratification fades. Things that used to be important become unimportant -and you wonder it took so long. You change your diet because your mission in life is to raise your game.

I have a long way to go. A killer Fran time is not imminent ... not yet. But I'm on the path and I see where it leads. It's taken me from "can't do 1 pull-up" to doing 200. I don't think in terms of a finish-line anymore as in a "12 week body transformation". That's short-sighted and temporary. I'm here for life. I only think in terms of goals and take joy in the journey. I will get that muscle-up. I will climb that rope sans feet. I will master double-unders and handstands. I will score 300 in Fight Gone Bad.

words of wisdom

About to get my first free-handstand push up, and then i'm moving to developing the planche!
Meanwhile there's also that 2xBW DL, and the 5min/mile, and ... and.... and....

Old 11-23-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
Ryan Whitenack

Profile:

I started two years ago, and at first I mistakenly focused on just bettering my times. As of late I have been focusing on improving the skills that have been more difficult for me--muscle ups, rowing, hand stands, double unders. All of these have improved leaps and bounds.

There are so many domains and modalities to take into account that I am sure progress can be always be being made in some realm.