CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
Nick Braden

Profile:
New guy needs expert advice about using XFIT

hi all,

Well, Let me start by saying that its great to find out about cross fit at last. That being said, I really need the advice of some of the experts out there.
First a little about me, so you know where I'm starting from. I'm a former Captain in the Infantry and use to be in great shape. Due to an accident I ended up having my ACL reconstructed, collar bone broken, torn AC ligament (connects your shoulder to your collar bone) and some wrist issues. ( Doc's never could figure it out, still hurts like hell even after a surgery to remove the scar tissue and inflammation, although my docs have no Idea why its like that).
So now I sit 30lbs heavier and out of shape. For the past three weeks I've been working out twice a day, 5 days a week.
I have a couple goals I have to reach, and have listed them below along with my current workout. I'd really like someone to look at it then let me know if crossfit would be a better way to obtain my goals.

Goals: Push ups - 100 in 2 mins; situps -100 2 mins, and a 2mile time run in under 13:30. also a 300 meter sprint in under 50 seconds. and a 5 mile run time of less than 40 minutes.

Current workout: M,W,F

AM: A pyramid of pushups (four different types) for a total of 130
A pyramid of assisted pull ups - about 8
20 minutes of cardio

PM. (I do a full body lift with reps of 4, then 8. then 12. then 16. I start with a heavy weight and work to a lighter weight.
1. Incline Dumbbell press
2. Assisted chip ups
3. Dips (assisted)
4. Alternating standing Dumbbell curls
5. military DB press
6. 20 minutes of cardio

ON T, Th:

AM. Ab routine consisting of 2x35 situps, 20 (four count) flutter kicks and leg raises, then 2x10 hanging knee raises.
I also do 5x10 squats (bodyweight), and 2x10 lunges (also bodyweight)

PM. I do leg press, leg curls and calf raises following the same lifting routine I do for upper body.

I apologize for the long post, but I'm really concerned that if I do cross fit, I won't make my goals or drop the weight. I thought this would give you a good idea of where I'm at and where I want to be. I'm not afraid of the hard work.. and I have pretty thick skin so all advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 05-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: New guy needs expert advice about using XFIT

Dropping weight is primarily a factor of a good diet. Check out Zone or Paleo/IF (like 80-90% diet).

While the exercises aren't too bad you are extremely pushing heavy which is gonna give you some muscular imbalances and more pain. I would highly suggest you just do CF instead. It's more in line with your goals anyway.

As for your injuries -- find a good PT, stretch (stretch, foam/tennis ball roll, etc.) and get tons of massages to break up scar tissue.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

Hey Nick,

Welcome! I think a lot of advice you'll get here will surprise you because it'll likely go against most of what you 'know' about fitness. Keep an open mind and be willing to try new things. That said...

--"but I'm really concerned that if I do cross fit, I won't make my goals or drop the weight."
I'm curious why you make the assumption that Crossfit won't help you meet your goals. Do you have concerns over specific aspects of the program? Some common thoughts are:

Q:The WOD doesn't seem like enough. A: It is if you do it hard enough. If you aren't collapsed in a puddle of sweat today, count yourself lucky and get ready for tomorrow...

Q: There aren't any leg curls/bicep curls/cable rows/insert machine exercise here. A: CrossFit is built on big, compound exercises and the neurological/hormonal responses to these types of stress. A curl might burn, but it uses very few muscles and doesn't present your body with a stimulus to adapt to a stressful situation. To understand my point, give "Fran" a try and then compare what your body feels like after Fran and after your usual workout. I think you will notice a difference.

On the general subject of goals and weight, Crossfit will help both. The intensity of the work is what fuels the results, and you will lose weight, gain muscle, and as a result of gaining muscle, continue to lose more weight. All while becoming more capable as an all-round athlete.

--Like I said earlier, Crossfit is about big exercises meant to stress your body. Routines do not stress your body; they are the opposite of stress. An exercise "routine" will not improve your fitness for long. That you can describe your workout every day of every week from now until forever in a few paragraphs is not a good sign. Give Crossfit a chance! Jump in, do the workouts as prescribed (or scaled appropriately) for two weeks and see what a difference it makes, having a new challenge presented to you every day!

Finally, a parting thought about why I really like Crossfit: it's the challenge. Knowing that the same workout I did today, I will do sometime in the future, and everything I have done between the two times has prepared me to better. Stepping into the gym knowing that I'm prepared to set a new record for myself, despite not specifically training for this event. It's going all-out as the timer creeps towards 0:00 as I rush to squeeze out one more round and set the bar even higher for the next time around. Like the article says, men will die for points! I am also military, and my perspective on fitness testing has changed so much: My daily workouts are so hard that maxing the test is a sub-maximal effort for me. My body knows it, and my mind knows it, and it makes the test something I can do with confidence instead of anxiety. WFS: http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...talFitness.pdf
Old 05-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
Todd Angel

Profile:

Nick,

I too have to agree that CrossFit is much better in tune with the goals that you have established. If you do the WOD and spice it up with a bit of goal specific specialization, you will get much farther along than a BB split routine. I along with many oter CF'ers have come from the split type school of thought and have never looked back. Oh yeah, follow Steven's advice the paleo/zone stuff is on the money. Welcome to CrossFit, and good luck with your goals.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
Mark Sands

Profile:

Nick,
give the wod a try for a while. i've only been doing them for a little over 6 months and the results are staggering! you'll be truely impressed with the changes in a relatively short time.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Nick Braden

Profile:

Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate the feed back. I do have a couple of questions though... I saw the "Warm Up", is this done everytime before working out? If not, would it be a bad thing to do it every workout?
Also I looked but couldn't find out, is a WOD done every day?

Once again.. Thanks for the Advice. I'm starting today and see where Crossfit takes me. I'm doing "Cindy" today. (Mostly because its my wife's name, and she thought it would be a good idea to finally kick my butt.)

I'm sure I'll be asking more FNG questions and I'll keep you all posted on how its going. Can't wait to see the look on the GYM staff's faces when I'm doing the kipping pull ups and all today, in the middle of a bunch of Bodybuilders.

Nick
Old 05-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

warmup.. if you want. some people use their own warmup. others use that one. whatever gets you warm (aka blood flowing, light sweat, muscles pliable,etc.).

WOD is on the frontpage. 3/1 cycle.

P.S. use the search button. most if not all of these questions have been already answered before.