CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

How does one get good sleep and good recovery? I've read some of Dan John's articles about recovery and have noted he stated that the sleep you get before midnight is what counts.

Any other tips on how to get a good nights rest? I always wake up tired. I suspect I'm overtraining and take weeks off every 3 weeks of training but still feel tired.

I should mention several things... First, I go from about I'm either on campus/working out/at work from 9:30 AM to 9:00 PM Monday-Thursday. Second, I get in bed at around 11:45 AM and get up at around 8:15 AM.... usually I fall asleep sometime later after 11:45 AM so I don't know if that counts as 8 hours of sleep a night. Finally, I train in the mid-afternoon after I get of classes.

Any help is appreciated.

Kurt
Old 03-01-2006, 11:55 PM   #2
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
Kurt,

I'll just piggy-back on your question. I work the swing shift, so I am usually in bed about 3 AM and up by 9 or 9:30. I know, it's not enough, but once I am up... I am up. I try to work out as soon as I get up. I have to leave for work by 3 PM at the latest. I also feel tired quite a bit. In fact, I usually take Wed. and Sun. off. I rested my Mon. and Tues. this week just to get some rest. Any suggestions out there??
Old 03-02-2006, 01:10 AM   #3
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I've had plenty of experience with good, bad and ugly sleep situations so here is my .02

1. Diet - I've just started taking the Zone a lot more seriously and even when i get less sleep than is ideal i'm feeling a lot better all day.

2. Make your room dark and quiet, we just put up heavy black curtains in our bedroom cause my girlfriend was having lots of trouble sleeping and they helped a lot. Noise can be a real problem. I can sleep through anything but the GF is woken up by anything and where we live is noisy. Our solution is to run an aquarium screen saver through speakers to give a sort of blanket of white noise.

It annoys the crap out of me but it works for her!

3. power naps if possible

4. Relaxing before bed. You need to do something relaxing before bed so that you don;t take all the isues of the day with you to sleep. There is nothing worse than dreaming about business stuff.

5. Self Hypnosis strategies. there are some little self hypnosis/relaxation things you can do to clear your mind and help you get to sleep faster. You should be able to find info on this on the net.

6. Shift work. It sucks and there is very little tat you can do about it. If you work odd hours it is always difficult to get a good sleep pattern going.

Thats my ramblings for the moment, if i think of something else i'll add it later.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:30 AM   #4
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Fish oil. I always have better quality of sleep when I'm getting good quantities of DHA and EPA.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:48 AM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
Ear plugs works for me. And not the cheap foam kind, I use the soft rubber kind that looks like arrow tips with the chord attached. They don't fall out. I keep my alarm clock on my side of the bed and I can hear it when it goes off because it is loud enough. My wife has her own on her side. As a VFF it sucks sometimes if I have to get up at 1, 2, 3 or 4am to go to a fire call. I keep my fire pager on my side of the bed also and boy that’s really loud. I wake up with my heart in my throat from all of the chest pounding because I know I have to fly. Adrenalin kicks in and sleep time is long gone. I try to squeeze in a quick nap when I get back, depending on how long I have to stay at the scene, before I have to go to my real 9 to 5. But like I said ear plugs works well because I can go into a deeper sleep faster than just listening to all the environmental noise.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:50 AM   #6
Peter Queen

Profile:
Oh, and sleep masks helps for those daytime weekend naps also.:wink:
Old 03-02-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I have made it a habit to stretch every night right before going to sleep. It is much easier for me to fall asleep after stretching than to fall asleep without it.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:41 AM   #8
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I find taking a hot shower ended with cold water for about a minute is supremely relaxing before sleep.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:48 PM   #9
Jason Carriveau

Profile:
I was having trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep, I'm also a very light sleeper. I tried taking a melatonin tablet (1mg) before I went to bed one night and it seemed to help, so I've been taking it every other night to try to get my body to release it on its own. Might work for you?
Old 03-03-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
Scott Kustes

Profile:
ZMA 60-90 minutes before bed and reading for 20-30 minutes generally knocks me out. A dark room is incredibly important too.