CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #1
Jason Senn

Profile:
WBS -Karen

What is the best way to get batter at Karen. I have a time of 6:38 currently. I want to go faster and I would love to go unbroken. What should I do to accomplish this. I have done 75 to 90 unbroken already but I didn't focus on how many I could do in a row.I k ow my endurance has slipped ao that has to get back. What else would help? Doing wbs in a vest (I just like using a vest), extra squats or a cycle?
The story behind this is I am the current leaderboard record hdr at our gym. I just turned 40 not that it matters. We have a 27-28 year old who squats a ton and tells me he will beat. His cardio is that good. We talk a lot of trash all in fun but now they are setting up a showdown for us in August. Any help to the old guy here would be appreciated.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:02 PM   #2
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:
Re: WBS -Karen

So many factors come into play here.
Engine is key as well as pace

There is always a mind game too. If you know the guy you are facing will keep going to not let you get ahead and you think you can outlast him, making him redline early can help with a win. His desire to hit 70 unbroken when his max is 55-60 can suck him dry for the last 1/2 of that fight. From there it is keeping the lead.

Doing OMEM are good.
Weighed chest can help.
Heavier ball

The question is are you going to focus a ton on one event or train as normal?

I held the top squat in our gym for a while. Then the young guy came in, we were close for a while and he just blew by me. With youth comes many things.

Use your brain. Find his weakness and strength and go from there.

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2016, 09:49 AM   #3
Jason Senn

Profile:

Thanks for the reply. You are on to something with him redlining early. He says he has never done more than 35 but hasn't tried to either. I think I have hit 75 and 90.

I will continue regular workouts but will take some time to focus on this. I will probably throw the vest on during the weekends and do sets of 50 or something. My engine is better already and will be much better in 2 months. He is getting ready to do a squat cycle but that won't help him do 150 wbs quicker i dont think.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

6:38 is a really great time.Like the trash talk.

Try using a heavy wall ball training- 25,30,40 or more.

See what your Karen time with a 30# would be.

I have done 5:55 with a 20# and 8+ with the 30#.

Also try doing high rep thrusters with various weights.

Don't let this hurt your other training. Push presses, pistols, squats off all kind high reps will help. Heck get some HSPU, GHD's also in.

Keep on training. You will kick his butt. Do it for us old guys.

I might pace the thing. Long sets with short breaks. 40 rest 5 seconds, 30 rest 5 seconds, then some 20's and 20's then what ever you have to do to finish. One of the keys is short breaks. Stay under getting so fatigued that you are no repping .
Old 06-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #5
Steven Wingo

Profile:

I think you've been given some great advice--find ways to do all kinds of explosive squatting and pressing movements and keep working your engine especially with full body movements like the wall ball and thruster.

Here are some other ideas, taken right from an article by Coach Glassman referenced in The CrossFit Journal. There was recently an article titled "The Glassman Chipper" suggesting athletes and coaches go back and read some of the old, original classics. One was "Strategies for a 7 minute 2k on the Concept 2 Rower." Glassman goes through some different training strategies to try to get there, distinguishing task priority and time priority workouts and also combining the two and factoring in pace. Here is a link to the article:

http://journal.crossfit.com/2002/11/...n-minute-1.tpl

Applying the suggestions to a faster Karen, as opposed to a 2k row, maybe pick an attainable goal time for Karen and design workouts to try to meet those numbers--let's say you go with 6:00 even with the idea that you could then dip just under it into the 5:00s. A 6:00 Karen means you have to average 25 per minute for 6 minutes.

So what are some different workouts to design to get there?

1. Hold 25 wall balls a minute for as long as you can, working to increase how long you can hold that pace over time until you can get to 150. Each time you try the workout, attempt to extend how long you can hold the pace.

2. An EMOM was suggested above--but I will add some specific analysis to it for you in terms of numbers. Right now, at 6:38, you are just above 22 walls balls per minute. Maybe try to go up to 23 or 24 per minute, then rest the remainder of the minute--it would probably be short but maybe beneficial--and see if that pacing strategy gets you closer to 6:00. You might find you are actually faster already just by targeting a more manageable pacing strategy and limiting rest. Over time increase the number per minute.

3. Another way, a suggestion by Glassman in his article, is to really combine task and time priority into one so you work to maintain a pace. For example, do 25 per minute wall ball pace for 6 minutes, but start by building in a short rest--maybe 20 seconds as a starting point--and go again until you get to the full 150. Then start shortening the rest over time as you improve until you essentially eliminate the rest.

Those are some other ideas on wall ball workouts, of course stolen/adapted right from the article. But great ideas nevertheless.

---

Just remember to have fun with your efforts to stay atop the leaderboard... ...someone better will always come along especially when you are working to keep up with the young crowd.

Last edited by Steven Wingo : 06-07-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:40 AM   #6
Jason Senn

Profile:

Thanks for all the great advice guys. It is much appreciated.