CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:
Tight tight tight

So my hips lately have been very tight, as the title says, the last few months.

I have rolled and stretched, done mobility and tried to help with the tightness but man it just doesn't seem to be working...

It hasn't impacted my squat depth (hit 445x2, 455x1 today) but is killing my ability to drop into the snatch bottom and on cleans. I really have to force myself down and wider feet than I would like.

Anyone have any experience with this just "showing" up (yeah I'm 40 now) and what helped? I have contemplated massage therapy but it is really hard to find someone who can and will work that area over well.

I thought about the Arosti people but the few I know who have gone to them for other stuff haven't seemed like it did "wonders".

My main goal right now is to loosen up the hips (outside around the socket) so I can get a faster and better drive into my snatch and cleans. I have been chair sitting more than I want (working on trying to open a rock climbing gym in town). So I have been taking breaks and standing and stretching a little but to no avail.

Appreciate the help and guidance in what has worked for you all.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:56 PM   #2
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Tight tight tight

Been there and have had the same problem before. I am 46 and have no issue anymore.

Stretch and mobility on the hams, quads, calfs and ankle.... then after the stretch I do allot of flossing. I took it easy from the start but now I will stretch before and after every workout and then in front of the TV for 15-20min every night instead of being a coach potato .

I work on different areas every night giving more quality time to that specific area.

Kelly Starrett has some great mobility wods on this and I use a few of them and they have really helped me in the OHS.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:44 AM   #3
Maurice Mayfield Jr

Profile:

Mobility Wod has great drill that will help.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:53 PM   #4
Michael Hollister

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
So my hips lately have been very tight, as the title says, the last few months.

I have rolled and stretched, done mobility and tried to help with the tightness but man it just doesn't seem to be working...

It hasn't impacted my squat depth (hit 445x2, 455x1 today) but is killing my ability to drop into the snatch bottom and on cleans. I really have to force myself down and wider feet than I would like.

Anyone have any experience with this just "showing" up (yeah I'm 40 now) and what helped? I have contemplated massage therapy but it is really hard to find someone who can and will work that area over well.

I thought about the Arosti people but the few I know who have gone to them for other stuff haven't seemed like it did "wonders".

My main goal right now is to loosen up the hips (outside around the socket) so I can get a faster and better drive into my snatch and cleans. I have been chair sitting more than I want (working on trying to open a rock climbing gym in town). So I have been taking breaks and standing and stretching a little but to no avail.

Appreciate the help and guidance in what has worked for you all.
Shawn,

What you said makes a lot of sense--especially if you have been doing a lot of sitting throughout your life (like most of us), tight hip flexors and poor range of motion are going to result.

Stretching and mobility as mentioned above will certainly help, but think about this:

1) Considering how sedentary our lifestyles have become and how ingrained the muscle memory of stabilizer muscles is for most of us (or perhaps muscle atrophy is most accurate), it will take some work to reverse. But the body has an incredible ability to heal itself, so it can be done.
2) The body operates as a unit, as I'm sure you've heard many times. Just working mobility in your hips is like replacing a bald car tire worn from misalignment in the vehicle; it treats the symptom rather than the underlying alignment issue. We need to treat the body as a whole. Relaxing those psoas muscles will likely require addressing other areas like your pelvis, shoulders, and/or feet.

Do you have any other pain/imbalance in other joints, like hips, lower back, shoulders, or neck? I have dealt with the tight hips before, as well as shoulder and neck injuries, so I might be able to help out--especially if the stretches don't seem to have lasting effects. It's a matter of retraining stabilization muscles.

A video of you lifting, or profile + side views of your posture would be helpful. I can send you my e-mail address as well.

-Michael
Old 04-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #5
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Try the Russian Baby Maker Stretch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzhzUXOBe68 WFS

And yes, that tightness will just show up. I am 48 and feel pretty stiff most of the time,even know I am pretty darn flexible for lack of a better word. It really only takes a little time to loosen everything up when I grab the barbell.

Try stretching a bit in the shower. Sounds creepy but I will usually squat and floss around in the bottom position and stretch my hamstrings.

I don't use ROMWOD but seeing ROMWOD Instagram related posts, I have been doing a lot of those moves anyway. Funny thing is, over the years, a lot of the stretches I do, I do because I saw some Russian weightlifter doing it.

I have been considering going to Yoga a couple days a week.