CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #1
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
How to fix this imbalance?

I am not sure this is really muscle imbalance, but something wacky is going on. Id like to point out I dont recall I ever had anything wrong with my shoulders, not any injury, surgery, etc...(thou I think I will ask my parents if they recall anything).

Whenever I am pulling from the floor it seems my left shoulder is "more out of socket" than my right one. Resulting bar path being not even, causing all sort of issues with lifts, like power snatch/clean.

Here are two examples (video is half speed, use 0.25x speed in YT for even slower playback):

Power clean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI6g9K_UA-E
- stop at 5sec; see shoulders, left much lower, bar not even, at knee height
- a few slides forward, not yet 6sec; about hip level, when extension starts to happen, left still much lower
- stop at 6sec; shrug in progress, shoulders are even now.

Power snatch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFZou4dM6s0
- stop at 8sec; knee level, shoulders not alined, bar not even
- two sliders forward; hip level, bar all over the place, much lower on the left side
- shrug seems fine again, both shoulders about at the same level.

I am not sure what is going on here, in both lifts, I contracted the shoulders, still the left one seems to kinda "hang", not being in proper position.

I notice similar when doing snatch balance, the bar is lower on the left side, thou I dont feel anything being wrong or bar not even, it just awfully is.

When I am actively pressing from my front rack or back rack (military press, behind the neck press), I dont see same issues.

Anybody had anything similar going on, or have any idea how to solve this or what kinda analysis is needed for a better diagnose?

Ps, links wfs

Last edited by Dare Vodusek : 11-04-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: How to fix this imbalance?

I can see what you are referring to especially in the clean video.

Could it be as simple as an activation issue. Scapular retraction is what is missing. This pulls the shoulder back and down making it tight for energy transfer. You have it on the right and are missing it on the left. So first thing I would attempt is to build awareness of the position on the left side.

Have a coach or friend watch you. They can gently poke the left side lat, trap and rhombiod (you big back muscles) to make sure they are hard and tight. If engaged correctly this should pull that left shoulder into position. Have them help you until the shoulder is in the correct position.

Then practice just the first pull slow off the floor keeping the shoulder in the correct position. What will happen at first is as soon as you think about something else the shoulder will drop. Have your friend or coach stop you as soon as it happens.

The other question I have is how is your left hip mobility? Have someone look from the back and see is your hips are level in the starting position.

You have some early arm bend. Keeping those elbows straight until you are up on your toes will help keep things tight.

This may not be the answer but it is where I would start.

Structural shoulder problems tend to produce a lot of pain. If your not in pain then most likely it is not a damaged structure.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
Michael Hollister

Profile:
Re: How to fix this imbalance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
I am not sure this is really muscle imbalance, but something wacky is going on. Id like to point out I dont recall I ever had anything wrong with my shoulders, not any injury, surgery, etc...(thou I think I will ask my parents if they recall anything).

Whenever I am pulling from the floor it seems my left shoulder is "more out of socket" than my right one. Resulting bar path being not even, causing all sort of issues with lifts, like power snatch/clean.

Here are two examples (video is half speed, use 0.25x speed in YT for even slower playback):

Power clean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI6g9K_UA-E
- stop at 5sec; see shoulders, left much lower, bar not even, at knee height
- a few slides forward, not yet 6sec; about hip level, when extension starts to happen, left still much lower
- stop at 6sec; shrug in progress, shoulders are even now.

Power snatch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFZou4dM6s0
- stop at 8sec; knee level, shoulders not alined, bar not even
- two sliders forward; hip level, bar all over the place, much lower on the left side
- shrug seems fine again, both shoulders about at the same level.

I am not sure what is going on here, in both lifts, I contracted the shoulders, still the left one seems to kinda "hang", not being in proper position.

I notice similar when doing snatch balance, the bar is lower on the left side, thou I dont feel anything being wrong or bar not even, it just awfully is.

When I am actively pressing from my front rack or back rack (military press, behind the neck press), I dont see same issues.

Anybody had anything similar going on, or have any idea how to solve this or what kinda analysis is needed for a better diagnose?

Ps, links wfs

Dare,

I see what you're talking about pretty clearly in the video. In both cases that shoulder seems depressed and rolled forward. It seems to me that the right side is doing a LOT of work and the left sort of trails behind. Then at the end of the movement it actually looks elevated.

If it doesn't cause you pain now, there is a good chance it will in the future because that is not how a shoulder is meant to operate. It means there is an imbalance/dysfunction somewhere and that shoulder is compensating.

The good news is it's totally fixable.

A couple things:

1. Do you have any pain/imbalance in your hips, or any other joints?
2. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of work do you do for your day job?

The site of dysfunction/imbalance is rarely the cause--everything is connected (i.e. the source could be somewhere else, like your hips).

I had similar imbalances/shoulder issues (hip for me too) and fixed them so I might be able to help you out. Left/Right-side view pics would be helpful to get a good picture of your overall posture--I'll give you my e-mail if you want.

Last edited by Michael Hollister : 03-27-2016 at 02:36 PM.