CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
Todd R Miller

Profile:
Re: Heart Rate During Exercise

For several years I raced mountain bikes - cross country. I used a heart rate monitor in all of my training and most of my racing. It was very common for me to average heart rates in the mid 180s over the course of a race, typically 1 to 1.5 hours - that is the average over then entire duration of the race, which included downhill sections. I would have many spikes into the upper 190s and even low 200s on steep climbs, and sometimes drop into the 150s on fire road descents. I'm still around to tell the tale.

My heart rates run high. Every person is different, and this is true with heart rates too. I have friends who run low - their heart rates average in the upper 160s to low 170s for a similar effort/duration. I've never seen any evidence that either low heart rates or high rates result in better performance - just different. For what it's worth, I've seen logs of Lance Armstrong's heart rates, and they seem to run high (I have no way to validate their accuracy, but they seemed to be from good sources).

Bottom line - I believe you can sustain as high a heart rate as you possibly can. Trust me, it's HARD to sustain a high average hr over a long period of time. I could only do it during racing - either chasing others, or (rarely) being chased. In training, it takes a gun to the head effort, or a long steep hill.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
Todd R Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Somebody lying then?

Quote from post nr 2:

Anyhow...how should one program his training together with HR? Is it better to just try and do as much as you can, no matter how high HR is, or its better to keep HR at a certain zone for max gains?
Dare - here is what I use to do. To begin, I would do a 30 time trial on a stationary bike with a hr monitor and a watt meter. This would be an all out effort for 30 minutes. It would give me two data points: 1) average HR (lactate threshold heart rate- LTHR) and 2) average watts (lactate threshold power - LTP).

I would then plug those numbers in to the following training zones:
Zone 1 - <65-70% active recovery
Zone 2 - 71-80% endurance zone (1 hr +)
Zone 3 - 81-90% Tempo (30 min to 1 hr)
Zone 4 - 93-95% Sub threshold (10-20 min)
Zone 5a - 100-102% Threshold (3-8 min)
Zone 5b - 102-105% VO2 max (30 sec - 4 min)
Zone 5c - >105% Anaerobic (10-20 sec)

You can use either LTHR or LTP as the number to base off of. However, heart rate is extremely variable from day to day, so I always used power (watts) and didn't worry too much about HR. Watts works great on bikes and rowers. I believe that runners use pace instead of watts, but I don't know the details of determining pace.

I would re-test every few months. My goal was to raise LTP with similar LTHR.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #23
Todd R Miller

Profile:

One more thing - your LTHR and LTP could be completely different for rowing, biking, running, whatever. If you are going to use HR for training zones, you would need to test each modality. I.E. do a test on the bike, do a test on the rower, etc.. Don't apply your biking LTHR/LTP to the rower.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #24
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Somebody lying then?

Quote from post nr 2:

Anyhow...how should one program his training together with HR? Is it better to just try and do as much as you can, no matter how high HR is, or its better to keep HR at a certain zone for max gains?
The problem is that this person doesn't know his maxHR. Also, like Todd stated, % maxHR at lactate threshold is variable between individuals. It can be trained to some extent, but it is largely genetic.

With regards to your latter questions, that's up to you and your training approach and status. You can look through my old posts. I think I've talked about or alluded to HR training somewhere in the past.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #25
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R Miller View Post
One more thing - your LTHR and LTP could be completely different for rowing, biking, running, whatever. If you are going to use HR for training zones, you would need to test each modality. I.E. do a test on the bike, do a test on the rower, etc.. Don't apply your biking LTHR/LTP to the rower.
Also, as a general rule, your intensity while exercising on your feet vs seated is equivalent to about 10 beats apart. For example, 150 bpm while running is equivalent to 140 bpm while biking. And, your resting HR while seated will be about 10 bpm higher than while lying down.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #26
Dakota Base

Profile:

In general, getting up in the 90-95% max heart rate threshold should be VERY short lived. I'm not sure I resign to the idea that the "220 - age" rule applies forever (since at 60yrs old, it's a LOW heart rate), but one way or the other, doctors generally recommend reducing the percentage of maximum HR for 'older' athletes as well, so I figure it's fair to assume these rules of thumb are the best we have, short of extensive medical evaluations.

So if we DO use that rule, then your max anaerobic workout range for short bursts should be in the 158-167bpm range. Getting over 170 SHOULD make you feel like you're going to die, absolutely wouldn't want to have it hanging out at that range for Metcons.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #27
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Thanks for everybody's replies.

I've talk to a Dr again and he said that is it well "known" that athlete that do long high intensity "sports" have a heart thats in hypertrophy, but once the athlete stops participating in these sports, hypertrophy goes away.

I guess because heart is the muscle it goes throw same changes as a "normal" muscle so it grows and this is not really something alarming.
My info about heart failure if being in high HR for long is false.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #28
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

mine was 280-300 BPM because of an irregular heart rate...

not fun...

Was 100-130 average during normal nothing... would spike past 200 after 4-5 mins of a WOD

During WallBall/DU/MU Open workout I hit 250 or so and basically laid down to prevent passing out...

I posted in the injury forum, I just had my heart ablated and cardioverted (thursday) and will see if it fixes my irregular heart rate...

I can't imagine how good a 160-180 rate would feel during a WOD
Old 01-14-2016, 11:49 PM   #29
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Coming back to this thread...

It appears my conditioning is still underdeveloped even thou I follow HIT regime (CFFB).

Bear in mind I have a mild case of pectus excavatum, around 2.3 haller index. This condition means my sternum in sunken "inside" a chest. There are reports of sternum pressing against the heart making it impossible to pump the way it should, but that happens in more severe cases than mine.

But this got me thinking...while my heart might be functioning just fine when sedentary what if things start to go wrong when I put it under load? Maybe its not able to expand to its full size when pumping undera load which then affects its stroke volume and performance?

Are there any tests possible to evaluate this, I mean some real "hospital" kinda stuff, like ultra sound, etc?