CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
Matt Corley

Profile:
Book Review: The Complete Strength & Conditioning Blueprint for Grappling Sports

Original Post:
http://www.bjjlegends.com/bjj/jiujit...appling-sports WFS

Tom Barlow, Braulio Estima blackbelt, decided to work with a strength and conditioning coach to prepare for the 2012 British Open. Enter Will Badenoch of Plymouth Performance Gym. Will designed a strength and conditioning program specifically for Tom that took into account that Tom had other responsibilities outside of BJJ, didnít want to sacrifice mat time and was coming off a long layoff due to injury. Tom went on to win his division in the British Open and said, ďI can honestly say that Iíve never felt in such good shape during a competition.Ē Will decided to use his work with Tom to create an e-book outlining a 12 week strength and conditioning program for other grapplers. The manual, The Complete Strength and Conditioning Blueprint for Grappling Sports, is a succinct treatise on how to incorporate Willís program into your training.

The manual begins with a few chapters detailing the differences between strength, power and conditioning. These physical attributes are intertwined with one another but have their own distinct characteristics and training methodology.

After explaining the attributes we are introduced to the basics of the programs:
  • There are 3 phases Ė each is 4 weeks long
  • Training sessions are intended to compliment your grappling training (not replace it)
  • There are 2 sessions per week
  • Each phase focuses on a single primary attribute with secondary focus on the remaining two attributes
  • The program is designed for someone with a life outside of grappling

The first two phases (Strength & Power focus) use the same basic template:
  • Mobility work
  • ďPrimingĒ Circuit
  • Strength/Power work
  • Circuit
  • Core
  • Finisher

The final phase (Conditioning) is broken down a little differently:
  • Mobility
  • Warm Up
  • Intense Complex
  • Optional work

The book ends with some guidance on what to do once youíve completed the twelve week cycle and how to taper for a competition.

What I liked:
The programming is intelligently designed and something that the average person with average recovery can do without changing their grappling sessions. Willís knowledge of powerlifting, strength training and periodization is apparent in the design of the program. For those familiar with Louie Simmons, Jim Wendler and Pavel Tsatouline youíll see familiar concepts.

Thereís virtually no fluff, the eBook is just 30 pages long. One of my pet peeves is buying a strength & conditioning book and realizing that 90% of it is pictures and descriptions of exercises that I already know how to do or can find demonstrated for free on YouTube. The program includes mobility work and is periodized, which is awesome and often overlooked.

What Could Have Been Better:
As I look at the exercise index I see a lot exercises that the typical Crossfitter (or anyone who trains in that methodology) will know but if youíre newer to strength and conditioning work youíre going to need some research and/or personal coaching to make sure that you can safely do the exercises listed.

The theory and concepts behind Willís programming arenít explained to any significant degree in the manual. Again there are some assumptions made about the target audience. If you already know these concepts or donít really care (maybe you just want to be told what to do) youíre good to go.

Wrapping It Up
The Blueprint shows you how to insert Willís 12 week program into your grappling training. In my opinion the programming is smart, manageable and realistic [Iíll be using it for myself in a few weeks]. I especially liked the emphasis on mobility work and periodization. If you have a background that includes strength training, Crossfit or similar activities youíre going to find a no-frills manual on how to adapt your knowledge to fit into the needs of a grappler and $19.99 (http://www.grapplingstrength.com/ wfs) is a reasonable price for a 12 week program. Once you've purchased the manual be sure to join the Facebook group for any questions you may have.

If youíre new to strength and conditioning Iíd recommend getting personal coaching from a qualified professional. Once youíve got a good base you can look into something like the Blueprint.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Patrick Kucera

Profile:
Re: Book Review: The Complete Strength & Conditioning Blueprint for Grappling Sports

Nice I have always been wary of these books always a lot of fluff in them so i had given up on them. Is there an example workout you can show before i buy this book? Just enough time to get started for Pan Ams.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Dakota Base

Profile:
Re: Book Review: The Complete Strength & Conditioning Blueprint for Grappling Sports

Just downloaded this one on my Kindle app, seems like a pretty short read (especially for the price), I'll post up a review when I get through it in a few days.

The biggest reason I don't usually invest in this type of book, ESPECIALLY FOR MMA, is that there's really no way for one program to be relevant to a broad audience within our sport. For example: there are guys at my gym that came out of the boxing ring, they have gas tanks the size of jumbo jets. Other guys came out of weight rooms, strength through the roof. Would this book/program suit both of these groups? I doubt it will, but I'll read it to find out. There's usually a benefit to having a real coach, rather than words on a page.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Great review, Matt. I'm assuming the program is intended to leave you in peak condition to compete on week 13 and has a taper in the last week?
Old 10-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Matt Corley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Kucera View Post
Nice I have always been wary of these books always a lot of fluff in them so i had given up on them. Is there an example workout you can show before i buy this book? Just enough time to get started for Pan Ams.
The 1st cycle is power focus:
Day 1:
Mobility
Priming the CNS circuit
Trapbar Deadlifts: 3 sets of 5 with the final set being all out
Strength based circuit that is whole body

Day 2:
Mobility
Priming CNS
Front Squats: 3 sets of 3 with the final set being all out
Strength based circuit that is whole body

My focus is obviously front squats (I'm very weak with them) and trapbar dead (my favority lift). You can have upper body stuff in there.

There are a lot of choices/lists for lifts and circuit work. You basically go to table 1 and pick something, then table 2 and so on.

Does that help?

Last edited by Matt Corley : 10-18-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Matt Corley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
Just downloaded this one on my Kindle app, seems like a pretty short read (especially for the price), I'll post up a review when I get through it in a few days.

The biggest reason I don't usually invest in this type of book, ESPECIALLY FOR MMA, is that there's really no way for one program to be relevant to a broad audience within our sport. For example: there are guys at my gym that came out of the boxing ring, they have gas tanks the size of jumbo jets. Other guys came out of weight rooms, strength through the roof. Would this book/program suit both of these groups? I doubt it will, but I'll read it to find out. There's usually a benefit to having a real coach, rather than words on a page.
Join his FB support page and he'll answer questions. I asked about focusing on one area over the other and he gave some suggestions.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Matt Corley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
Great review, Matt. I'm assuming the program is intended to leave you in peak condition to compete on week 13 and has a taper in the last week?
exactly