CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #1051
Tim Alford
Member Tim Alford is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Columbus  OH
Posts: 301
Re: 2015 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Ngo View Post
Same as Camille last year
Really? Guess I didn't pay as much attention to that. You don't have to win them all, just be in the hunt on a consistent basis.

Total side note: Camille was exposed this year, last year she was pretty fortunate with the events and several top competitors not being there (injury, missed cut, etc.) She's a fantastic competitor, but she's barely top 10 for me on a yearly basis.
__________________
Henry: You're not afraid of competition, are you Shawn?
Shawn: Of course not. As long as doesn't involve people trying to best each other.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #1052
Tighe Crovetti
Member Tighe Crovetti is offline
 
Tighe Crovetti's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Collegeville  PA
Posts: 359
Re: 2015 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Watching the awards, I believe Bailey, Smith and Ence were the only athletes that won more than one event (and they each only won 2)? I think that speaks volumes to the programming being very well-rounded and that you couldn't simply be "the strongest" and run away with this, or just have a "great engine." The mix really tested brute force work, gymnastics, endurance, strength/technique, etc... Was it "not true Crossfit," as Amanda Goodman not-so-subtly jabbed? Yes, but that's only because, IMHO, "true Crossfit" has to recognize that most people can't build random equipment on the spot, it has to stick to (largely) the core equipment/facilities throughout the year, and into the Open and Regionals, too. The Games, however, is no holds-barred. You're talking the fractions of a percentage of the people, the elite test, anything goes, and you have to deal.
__________________
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."

Last edited by Tighe Crovetti : 07-28-2015 at 09:45 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #1053
Steven Ngo
Member Steven Ngo is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pasadena  CA
Posts: 848
Re: 2015 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

^^ sam briggs and spencer hendel also with 2 wins.

I think smith's performance on the soccer chipper was really where it turned, taking first on that one and beating hendel's time (who went ludicrously fast and was in a different heat so smith really had to gun it without having someone to pace).

on a different note -- the icelanders are the targaryens of crossfit with the flowing white/blond hair and potential to dominate the crossfit world for some time. winter is coming and they are ready!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #1054
Richard Colon
Member Richard Colon is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Peoria  AZ
Posts: 523
Re: 2015 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean J Hunter View Post
IF WE IGNORE THE WEAKNESSES.
I'm always reminded of "If Grandma had balls, she'd be Grandpa", when I see stuff like this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #1055
Sean J Hunter
Member Sean J Hunter is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Shore  New Zealand
Posts: 805
Re: 2015 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rigney View Post
Whole Ppost."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
I'm always reminded of "If Grandma had balls, she'd be Grandpa", when I see stuff like this.
I'm referring to next year. Matts weaknesses are experienced based and skill based, far easier to fix then Bens issues. Hold the games again in 3 months and Matt would crush.

S
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #1056
Steven Ngo
Member Steven Ngo is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pasadena  CA
Posts: 848
Re: 2015 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

smith jumped 6 places from last year (7th to 1st), fraser didn't improve any. so going by that logic, if Fraser is in 1st in 3 months, then smith would be transcendent.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #1057
Matt Rigney
Member Matt Rigney is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Huntsville  AL
Posts: 50
Re: 2015 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean J Hunter View Post
I'm referring to next year. Matts weaknesses are experienced based and skill based, far easier to fix then Bens issues. Hold the games again in 3 months and Matt would crush.

S
What are Smith's weaknesses? He didn't do well on the sandbag carry (and we don't really know why...he wasn't shown much when it aired). Outside of that, where was he weak? His worst finish besides that evnet was 11th (the top quarter of the field). Could Matt win next year? Sure. It came down to the final event. Fraser will probably never do overly well in the sprint events no matter how much he trains...he'll do better w/rope climbs next year I suspect...but I thought the whole conclusion of the weekend was that Smith didn't have many (any?) holes to fix.

You said in your original post that Smith "Didn't show the same consistency as Matt in general."

Standard deviation (e.g. spread around the mean) of Fraser's placing: 12.72
Standard deviation of Smith's placing: 8.64

So Smith was more consistent (generally) that Fraser, not vice versa.

So in the end, is this your argument?
"Fraser's weaknesses were x, y, and z. He'll correct those by next year and dominate. Smith's weaknesses are a lack of consistency [which we just showed really isn't true], therefore he won't dominate next year."

What if Fraser can't correct his weaknesses? What if he's just weak? I'm not saying that's true...I just don't buy your logic (or the underlying presuppositions).
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #1058
Zac Metz
Member Zac Metz is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Honolulu  HI
Posts: 34
Re: 2015 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

This is just me, but I am sorta getting tired of the "rigged so Froning could win" stuff. There were NINETEEN team events. Aside from Froning by himself (ONE event), the entire team factored into the win. Khalipa, Hackenbruck, plenty of other top athletes had their chance to "shine" by themselves, and they were beat by Rich's teammates if I remember the heats correctly.

I think its of most people's opinion that NorCal would've either won or been VERY close had Miranda not gone down. But I find it silly to claim its rigged for one person with "solo events" when in all reality that means they took Rich OUT of the competition for 5 straight events and his TEAM scored all those points. Sure there was only a certain number of teams at that point - thats because they outperformed the other teams for the 12 events prior to get there.

With all that being said - I was rooting for Invictus because of my crush on Lauren Fisher. I just think there is too many conspiracy theories going on at this point. (*cough* Fraser "couldnt" win cause hes a Nike guy *cough)

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #1059
Jon Campbell
Member Jon Campbell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Henderson  KY
Posts: 443
Re: 2015 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac Metz View Post
This is just me, but I am sorta getting tired of the "rigged so Froning could win" stuff. There were NINETEEN team events. Aside from Froning by himself (ONE event), the entire team factored into the win. Khalipa, Hackenbruck, plenty of other top athletes had their chance to "shine" by themselves, and they were beat by Rich's teammates if I remember the heats correctly.

I think its of most people's opinion that NorCal would've either won or been VERY close had Miranda not gone down. But I find it silly to claim its rigged for one person with "solo events" when in all reality that means they took Rich OUT of the competition for 5 straight events and his TEAM scored all those points. Sure there was only a certain number of teams at that point - thats because they outperformed the other teams for the 12 events prior to get there.

With all that being said - I was rooting for Invictus because of my crush on Lauren Fisher. I just think there is too many conspiracy theories going on at this point. (*cough* Fraser "couldnt" win cause hes a Nike guy *cough)

This...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:06 PM   #1060
Jason A Smith
Member Jason A Smith is offline
 
Jason A Smith's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brandon  MB Canada
Posts: 2,659
Re: 2015 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

1/3 of the events in the team competition this year were counted from either all male or all female efforts. Mayhem, lead by Froning had by far the most dominating performance of any team in that department in the male only events. Their team comprised of Rich (4 time winner, 5 time top 2 competitor), James Hobart (who has been top 20 at the games) and Matt Hewett (top 20 last year in the central east). The male side of their team was stacked and the way the events rolled out definitely played well for them especially getting three wins in those solo events. Granted they did well in a lot of other events, but reality is that this year with the "super teams" they obviously wanted an opportunity to showcase the big names out there.

In contrast I went and looked at previous years team events, and there were zero solo events and at the most 200 points for just male/female scoring, a 10% increase from previous years and enough to make an overall difference. The male side of their team would be like Crossfit Reykjavik fielding a team with Annie, Katrin and one of their other top women competing. They would have crushed the other girls in the field.

The male side of their team was by far the best in the field and the women were good enough.


As far as Fraser vs. Smith. Ben has been on the podium three times in seven years and is a proven performer, he was healthy this year too so no surprise there. As far as Fraser's weaknesses, I think everyone here missed the very obvious one. His grip strength, it was lack of grip strength/endurance that cost him a pile of money. If he had it he would have made the rope climbs and then blitzed those KBs and won, otherwise (like most of the top people) his sprinting sucks, which likely is more technique, but it could be speed too. Look for enhanced gripping prowess and more of the same of what he did this year and he will be a force for the title again. His "cardio" is ridiculous.

The other thing is he is one of maybe 4 guys (?) to have multiple podium finishes and one of three guys to do it back to back years, the other guys.....Froning and Khalipa.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread Christopher Morris Competitions 1800 12-24-2014 01:23 PM
2015 CrossFit Games open ideas... Lets hear them Steven Thunander Competitions 44 11-16-2014 10:48 PM
Comprehensive list of open, regionals and games WODS?? Thomas Cofer Workout of the Day 2 12-18-2013 11:35 AM
2013 Open, Regionals and Games Thread Sean Dunston Competitions 2224 08-09-2013 02:10 PM
2012 Open, Regional and Games thread Sean Dunston Competitions 1527 11-30-2012 12:04 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.