CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Nelson A Mitchell

Profile:
A little bit of help

Hello all, i have a quesiton regarding my crossfit performance. I have been crossfitting for about 1.5yrs but only since Janurary did i buy into the nutrition part. For the first 3 months of the year I was strict zoning lost a cool 20lbs and my times were getting better( knocked off 30sec from my row time, 1:37 500m) and so on).

When i hit a weight plateau in March, I stopped strict zoning but adopted a lesser strict paleo/zone with carb restriction( under 100g a day)and have seen some postivie results in the mirror test ( eventhough i have stayed the same weight; 237-241 the whole time).

I dont care about the scale stuff but i have noticed that this month my times have suffered and my energy gets zapped alot quicker that before . I did some searches and read Robb Wolf's page, and practically i came to the conclusion that i need to eat more but after meals i am full and do not get hungry between meals. According to Fitday I have been eating about 2521-2241 calories everyday. My food schedule is pretty consistant

breakfast: 4eggs, fruit(if we PT in the morning)/veggies( if i work out at lunch) and 24 almonds
Lunch: 1 chicken quarter(baked), veggies(if we PT in the morning)/fruit( if i work out at lunch) and 24 almonds
Snack: 1 chicken quarter(baked) and 24 almonds
dinner: Depends but is always meat and veggies

I drink 4L of water a day, 3gs of Fish Oil and get 6-7 hrs of sleep a night( would get more but it takes an hour or so to get my 2yo to bed). My Wo schedule is CF( M-T-W-Th) group PT(F) and rest weekends. Last time i got Bdy fat tested was on the football team 3yrs ago. It was 18% but i was also 275.

If anybody has some suggestions on how to regain my performance, it would be much appreciated.
Sorry for the long post and again
Old 06-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: A little bit of help

I would try one of these at a time, in this order:
1. Take a rest/break for a week. I can barely CF 3x in a row, I don't understand how anyone does 5/2.
2. Try moving some carbs to PWO
2. 2x fat.

I would say get more sleep, but there is only so much we can do, I'm sure you'd get more if you could!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

If restricting carbs kills your performance, add carbs back in.

(Pauses to duck rotten fruit thrown by other posters.)

That's not a popular position around here, but in my experience many active people blow through so much glycogen that carbs are really the only way to get it back fast enough.

That could simply mean snacking on fruit throughout the day and especially post-workout. It doesn't need to mean pigging out on mashed potatoes and waffles. Depends on how many calories you're actually burning and where you are relative to your target weight.

Katherine
Old 06-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Laura Kurth

Profile:

I was also going to suggest adding carbs back in. You could eat some sweet potatoes post workout perhaps?
Old 06-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Robert Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson A Mitchell View Post
i came to the conclusion that i need to eat more but after meals i am full and do not get hungry between meals.

Find out what is making you too full. It is likely to be eggs, chicken, or almonds.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Or just suck it up and eat anyway.