CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
Shane Bradbury

Profile:  
School or Experience?

Hey everyone I'm a 19 year old male, I'm relatively new to Crossfit (About 6 weeks), I've just started to perform the WOD to the best of my ability. I'm in college right now in Toronto for a Two year program called Fitness and Lifestyle management, to become a personal trainer. I applied for college before I found Crossfit (unfortunately )hoping it would help in my quest to become an amazing trainer. So far from what I have seen, from the second year students training methods, to the teaching approach and to the general idea of fitness from the first and second year students, is disapointing to say the least. I've not been taken seriously at all when I talk about Crossfit methods or ideas in our personal training class. My question is this, should I continue with this program until June 2009, and graduate with a dipolma? Or should I maybe dropout get Crossfit Certified ASAP, and start applying for training positions and jobs in my area? I've been working out for a long time and training friends in family, I'm involved in sports and I walk the walk when it comes to diet and training, I'm passionate and committed to real, serious fitness. My goal eventually would be to have my very own Crossfit gym, as I love the fitness and ideas behind Crossfit 100%. The thing is I can't see myself in two years saying 'Thank god I stayed in school.' Everyones opinion would be welcomed good or bad, thanks so much guys!
Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: School or Experience?

Read this (wfs) -- basically your question being answered by trainers:

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=1406
Old 10-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
Shane Bradbury

Profile:  

Thanks, this is great
Old 10-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
Steve Sheffar

Profile:

From Experience!

GO TO SCHOOL!

While going to school get experience.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Whatever you do, keep your debt (from college) absolutely as low as possible, no matter what you have to do to keep it low. Well, nothing illegal, but you get the point, don't go into debt if you can help it.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:26 AM   #6
Dan Wall

Profile:

Degrees and certifications never hurt anyone. Besides, maybe you're the guy who is going to change how things are done around there. You have two years. Change doesn't happen over night. Even if you don't convert the entire program, leading by example (aka, not being preachy or militant) you could show others the light.

Be cool stay in school!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:56 AM   #7
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Stay in school, keeping your debt as low as possible. But milk it. Don't just memorize enough of the curriculum to get through - or even enough to do really well. Figure out how you learn best. And whatever the field, get a real credential.

Right now, you now want to be a kick-@ss trainer. Great. When I was 19, I was training to be a concert cellist and an opera singer - also great. And I was getting a Political Science degree "on the side".

Good thing. Fast forward 26 years. While I still make plenty of music, sometimes for money, the bills got paid because I had degrees that got me job interviews.

Different job interviews in different fields - because to be honest, the area the credential's in is often less important to a potential employer than the fact that you've got one. That piece of paper says you know how to learn, and probably know you'll keep on needing to. And it says you've got enough initiative to start a program, and enough determination to finish it.

Maybe you'll still be a kick-@ss trainer, or a gym owner etc. in 26 years. If so, the worst-case is that you learned something while getting your piece of paper (not necessarily the curriculum either!), and you started your career a bit later.

But maybe in 26 years, you'll be doing something else entirely - and training will be an important sideline. I'd give good odds that the piece of paper will have opened doors that otherwise would have stayed shut.

t
Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Shane Bradbury

Profile:  

thanks for all the replies everyone. The good thing is I don't have any debt to pay off, college is paid for. I paid most of it, with my parents helping out a bit. i still cover all the transportation cost, eg. train, subway, biking to the train station. I can't stand debt in any form.
Your all right though, the worst that could happen to me is to graduate with a degree. I could also change the way things work around here slowly, crossfit style, of course not being preachy or militant. Thanks again guys, this message board is great. Feel free to keep the comments or questions coming.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #9
Kevin Perry

Profile:

Hey Shane,

Stay in school and get a degree in something you enjoy, And keep your debt low. There is a lot of great advice in that other thread but if your serious about this like I am you can do it as a side project but keep in mind it will probably take a while. Getting a group together of like minded individuals and starting out in a park while you save up some cash to get CF certified is a the approach im taking right now so that can give you an idea.

Just stick with it and if your serious about it then make it happen. But don't drop out of school, a back up plan is always important.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #10
Robert Olajos

Profile:

Ever heard of the phrase, "Know thy enemy"? You can use your college training in standard fitness methodology to be a better CF trainer. Besides, you will be learning stuff that is broadly applicable, like anatomy and physiology.

And as for people looking at you askew when you talk about CF, welcome to the club.