CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-18-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I found out I have arthritis not sure if it is rheumatoid or ostio yet but it recently spread from my hands and wrists to my elbows.

My question is should I back off on training or push through I know it is important to exercises when you have it to maintain bone density but is it ok to work the specific joint while it is flared up?

(Message edited by kmckay on June 18, 2007)
Old 06-19-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
Jonathan Rich

Profile:
Hi Kevin-
I have osteo-arthitis in my knees, that I know about, and probably more places. I've read research that backs resting, and research that backs staying active. Mine tends to bother me more if I'm inactive for an extended period. But most of the research I have read has to do with the knees. It may be different for smaller joints like the hands and wrists. I would say try both and see which seems to work better, but then again I'm not a doctor.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
Milton Grasle

Profile:
Hey Kevin, Milton here. I'm new to c/f and have never posted. I don't know a lot about c/f but I know something about arthritis. I have rheumatoid and have had it for twenty years. If you are under forty, I doubt if you could have osteo, but it is possible. An ANA blood test will tell you what form of the disease you have. I'm assuming you have had that test and that is the info you are waiting on. In the last few years science has come up with some amazing drugs that have turned me from a near cripple to someone who can rip off a 6:03 mile and do some very heavy lifting and other exercises. And I am fifty nine years old. What you are able to do as far as physical exertion is concerned will be determine by the severity of your disease. Until you are properly diagnosed go easy, listening very closely to your body. Hard exercise can sometime enrage the disease and send you into a flare that can last for weeks. If the soreness is in your upper extremeties save the harder stuff for lower body. Jusr remember that arthritis is inflammation and that can affect your entire system. Sorry if this sounds too negative. The good news is that it really isn't. Like I said above, the new medicine today can help most people to lead a normal and very active life. Be patient and wait for your results. If you haven't been to a doctor, find yourself a good rheumatologist and go. Best wishes for you.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Thanks Milton, that is encouraging my biggest fear is that I would have to stop working out. I have an appointment with a rheumatologist 7/6 so hope to know for sure soon.