CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-18-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
Nic Olson

Profile:  
This is purely subjective, yet if alot of folks point to the same thing, I'll know how to spend some money.

Old 08-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
Stephen Troy

Profile:

DIY sandbag.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:34 AM   #3
John Phipps

Profile:
I just got some parralettes (aprox $50) and they are kicking my butt.

Also gymnastics rings (aprox $75-100) are much harder to use then I ever imagined.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:48 AM   #4
Jesse Woody

Profile:
If you work it right, you can eek out a combination...perhaps a sandbag and parallettes...or parallettes, jump rope and home-made medicine ball. My next purchase will probably be rings (since I've made all the above already)
Old 08-19-2005, 08:29 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

Profile:
homemade parallettes = sub $20

so you have 30 left for other stuff
Old 08-19-2005, 09:11 AM   #6
Darren Mallette

Profile:  
Some DIY ideas

Sandbag ~ $5
Medecine ball ~ $5-10
Empty keg (free / pay deposit)
Big tire for flipping (generally free, may have to pick up and then you have to store it)

Old car tire - fill with concrete or the above sandbag/med ball/keg for a pulling sled

I've got all of the above and more in the garage - if you lay the big tire flat, you can store most everything else inside it if space is an issue.

Old 08-19-2005, 09:16 AM   #7
Nic Olson

Profile:  
I have to agree that my PVC parallettes are used all the time and I made mine for about $10 since I had some tubing lying around so I hade only to purchase couplings. I have a makeshift pull up bar using a fiberglass paint roller extended handle (no lie, seems to hold my 185lbs) and some tie down straps. One 50 lb dumbell with a fat grip (3"+)that I use for swings. I have a Boa speed rope from Ironmind. I do dips on old bar stools. Almost everything I have is makeshift, but it works.

I have the garage sale gym.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:12 AM   #8
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Is it just me, or is it a bit more appealing to be using bare minimum equipment..homemade if possible? I get a HUGE kick out of having a workout room that looks like I sifted through a scrap-metal yard, and doing workouts that take high-tech machine-based lifters and leave them in a pile of mush! Maybe it's just me :p
Old 08-19-2005, 02:28 PM   #9
James Falkner

Profile:
I made some homemade PVC parallettes and frickin' BUSTED them the other day throwing them down before cranking out some L-Sits!

They broke on one of the elbows that I had glued them together with. I was shocked. I wonder if it's cause it lives in my hot 110 degree or higher garage during the day?? I only threw it down from about waist height right onto concrete.

Old 08-19-2005, 03:48 PM   #10
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I concur with the parallette assessment. Cheap, and insanely usefull. After the parallettes, I'd go for rings.

James, congrats on breaking your paralletes. That's a truly rare thing. I've had parallettes for 12 years. My guess is they hit just wrong on the concrete. Lesson, don't drop your parallettes on concrete. It doesn't give at all. Even on a thin carpet they probably wouldn't have cracked. PVC is pretty heat sensitive, but 110 shouldn't cause a problem. Dropping them on concrete in cold weather is more likely to break em, cause they'll be brittle.