CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-16-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
Jake Thornes

Profile:
I am leaving for Alaska to gut fish tomorrow and I want to workout in my free time. I have push up bars but thats about all the equipment I'll have.

What should I do? At home I was mainly doing pushups, situps and pullups but I think that caused unbalanced muscle growth. My biceps and front shoulders increased a lot compared to everything else and I think it injured me. Activated a few trigger points in my forearms and some of my joints are clicking when they did not.

What is a balanced workout I could do in the woods? Also, anyone have trouble getting a burning feeling in his or her chest after pushups? My shoulders seem to do all the work.

Thanks
Jake
Old 06-16-2006, 06:00 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Handstand pushups, diamond pushups, pseudo planche pushups all will work the triceps harder. Also, if you have a space to do pullups, do front lever pullup progressions as well.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Find some rocks, logs or a heavy sandbag.

Do squats, cleans, carrys etc

There is always heavy stuff around, you've just got to be creative.

Look though the WOD archives for workouts you can do and adapt them to the facilities youi've got.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:36 AM   #4
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
Burpees and box jumps... anything with your own bodyweight. Just be creative. Instead of thinking of this as a setback, think of all the opportunities to do stuff you can't do at a gym. Look around when you get there, let your imagination run wild, and get after it.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:41 PM   #5
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:
you can use the push up handles for L sits too
Old 06-22-2006, 03:46 PM   #6
John Seiler

Profile:
-Do sprint work.
-Do ballistic movements with the rocks too: front squat into throw, scoop toss (like a KB swing only throwing it out in front and in back of your position), etc.
-And of course, bear wrestling
http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&pro file=trianglechoke7-users

As for the pushup question: try different hand spacing. Also play around with hand position on the vertical plane; ie. one hand at head level, the other other below sternum level.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:39 PM   #7
Anthony Cecil

Profile:

"And of course, bear wrestling"
Unfortunately, bear wrestling has only ever been sucessfully done by Fedor... :-)

Here is another vote for rocks. Single hand OHS with rock is my favorite as my shoulder flexibility sucks at it.

Pull-ups can be done on many surfaces but beware of your finger ligaments if you do doorjam-style PUs. They give out before everything else unless you are a seasoned climber.