CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
Jake Thornes

Profile:
I thought I posted this a few minutes ago but I don't see it. Must have done it on the wrong board.

I have some pain in my hands and forearm. Went to a few medical people and they said it was tendenitis. Treated it that way but it didn't really help. I read that the problem could actually be in the shoulder or neck. I do feel a little pain in my shoulder. A little nagging pain.

I went to a sports doctor and he didn't know what was going on. I mentioned I had a muscle imbalance in my shoulder(knuckles point forward) and my internal rotators were stronger than my external. He said my shoulder was tight. Also, when I rotate my arm I hear a popping in my shoulder and somewhere in my forearm. Could my imbalance be causing an impingement? Are impingements permanent? As for as I can remember, the pain in the hands and forearms started when I started my summer workouts. I don't have access to equipment so I went on a pushup binge. Within a week, I noticed the front of my shoulders getting bigger. Pain came shortly after.

The doctor gave me an order for physical therapy but all the PT people around here are pathetic. I have a book by John Berardi that gives workouts for people with imbalances, I might follow that for awhile and see what happens.

This has been bothering me for about 2 months and I've been to several doctors. I've learned that a lot of doctors are clueless. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jake

(Message edited by JThorn on August 05, 2006)
Old 08-05-2006, 06:39 PM   #2
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
looking in a mirror, is one shoulder higher than the other?

when you sit, do you always put weight on one side of your butt?

if you stand with heels and head against a wall, does one hip not touch the wall? does one shoulder not touch the wall?
Old 08-05-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
Jake Thornes

Profile:
When I sit, I put most of my weight on the right side. The side that hurts the most.

When I'm against the wall, my shoulders don't really touch the wall. They slump forward. Its hard to tell with my hips. I think the right side is further from the wall. My right shoulder looks higher.

Thanks
Jake
Old 08-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
my friend you have got some serious postural distortions going on there. it is highly likely that they are the cause of your arm/shoulder pain, assuming you didn't start having pain as a result of an injury.

are you in pain now?
Old 08-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
Jake Thornes

Profile:
I can feel my shoulder and a little in my forearm now. Serious? What should I do? I have poor posture in my lower body too. Duck feet.

Thanks
Jake

Old 08-05-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
will you try an experiment for me?

i want you to stand up, take off your shoes, and go walk to the wall again. put head and heels against wall, feet shoulder width apart, no wider. Now squeeze your shoulder blades back and down; NOT UP -- make sure not up!! -- relax your stomach, turn your toes in so you're pigeon-toed (toes touching) and tighten you thighs a lot. relax your stomach!

hold this position for three minutes. then come back to the computer and tell me what you feel in your right arm/shoulder.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:24 PM   #7
Jake Thornes

Profile:
I started to notice my shoulder pain a little more. Mainly on the top of the shoulder. Hand felt number. Didn't notice much in my forearm. Overall, not too much of a difference, but noticable.

Thanks
Jake

Old 08-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
hmmm, not the reponse i wanted, but that's ok. why don't email me tomorrow and I'll ask more Qs, in the meantime you can wait for others to respond to the thread that I have hijacked!
Old 08-06-2006, 04:09 AM   #9
Jeff Kilpatrick

Profile:  
You need to go see an orthopedic surgeon and have an MRI done.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
I think andrew is right, you probably have some major posture and muscle imbalance issues that are causing impingement of some nerves. I would recommend finding a different PT, its not a hard fix probably, but takes some hands on time.