CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
Jake Thornes

Profile:
I took a break from Crossfit for awhile and got into a bodybuilding craze. After watching the U.S. Open I decided I wanted to go for the tennis/fit look. Suits my goals and body better, I think. My goal is to be about 185 coming from 157 with no muscle. I want the Roddick look. I think I can do it.

How do you think they train? Crossfit type stuff with a 5 x 5 or ME type stuff everyonce in awhile? I would appreciate some input.

Also I remember speaking to a trainer in Las Vegas through the crossfit.com website. If you have any ideas, I'd like to talk to you.

Thanks
Jake
Old 09-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
Crossfit is more about building functional strength than getting a certain "look." Many people have had great results for both strength and endurance using a XFit-ME-XFit-Rest split.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:36 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
If your looking for a certain "look" there are easier ways to achieve that then CF. Crossfit is about function not ascetics. That said, the look you want to achieve is attainable with CF and a knife and fork.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:04 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
What you look like more depends on nutrition..you eat more, you get bigger. If you want to cut up then you have to reduce the calories appropriately, but don't starve yourself. If you follow the CF WODs, which have ME days built in, you will get the workouts you need. Nutrition should be your primary focus to.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:54 AM   #5
Jake Thornes

Profile:
I know what makes a "look" but obviously no one watches tennis. Nevermind.

Jake
Old 09-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
I watch tennis, but I'm still not sure what you are asking.

You want to know how Andy Roddick trains?

Or you want to know how you can train to look like Andy Roddick?

Because they aren't necessarily the same.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #7
Daniel Foster

Profile:
Just because a person looks a certin way does not me that he can perform. Yeah he might play great on the tennis court and look good, but can he do other activities out side the court. I think crossfit will allow you to do both.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
No athlete just trains "one way", it's a mix of types of periodization for power, strength, size....constantly challenging the body...oh wait...sounds like a crosstype fitness program I know of...could it be....crossfit? Stick with Crossfit, monitor your nutrition to burn fat and maintain muscle...that's the look.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #9
John Vernon

Profile:
I once knew a guy who was going for the Sid Vicious look.....he died.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #10
Zach Simpson

Profile:
If you want to "look" or perform like a tennis player, you'd probably do the following: play 2-3 hours of tennis per day, perform plyometrics, lift 3-4 times per week, do yoga (Federer is an adamant devotee), and run sprints. You'll also need to sleep a bunch and eat really clean (to have maximum power and explosiveness but very little body fat).

Tennis players likely use the same theory as CrossFit, but probably not many of the exercises, namely for fear of injury. They train intensively, vary their workouts, and focus on core strength. Yet most tennis players that I know (and professional athletes for that matter) shy away from snatches, clean and jerk, and so forth for fear of injury (whether that's justified or not is a separate question). If they're going to get injuried, it's going to be on the court, ice, or field.