CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #41
Joshua Boyd
Member Joshua Boyd is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Edmond  OK
Posts: 14
Re: Deadlifts: drop or put down?

Interesting thread. Been crossfitting for 6+ months at a local box.

I think its a personal choice and how your box recommends you do it. If its a wod and im doing my body weight, i want to follow it down and back up for speed -

If its a max; and I want to see how much weight I can pull, I'm not going to injury my back and lower it slowly; this is where i tend to bend over like a cat. I'll feel good when I can pull 500 but have to drop it. Same goes for doing a set of 315 unbroken -

Different days / workouts I'll do differently...

Is there really a black and white answer?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #42
Blair Robert Lowe
Member Blair Robert Lowe is offline
 
Blair Robert Lowe's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento  CA
Posts: 7,948
Re: Deadlifts: drop or put down?

There are some circumstances, for instance if you were merely concerned with working the concentric; that you would not bother with the eccentric.

excessive hypertrophy, mo' soah (muscle damage due to the eccentric)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #43
Pete Nadeau
Member Pete Nadeau is offline
 
Pete Nadeau's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: El Paso  TX
Posts: 425
Re: Deadlifts: drop or put down?

Put it down, or itís a failed Deadlift, unless itís about to cause injury
__________________
Honor Et Fidelite
 tre prÍt
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #44
Sean Dunston
Affiliate Sean Dunston is offline
 
Sean Dunston's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 5,759
Re: Deadlifts: drop or put down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Boyd View Post
Interesting thread. Been crossfitting for 6+ months at a local box.

I think its a personal choice and how your box recommends you do it. If its a wod and im doing my body weight, i want to follow it down and back up for speed -

If its a max; and I want to see how much weight I can pull, I'm not going to injury my back and lower it slowly; this is where i tend to bend over like a cat. I'll feel good when I can pull 500 but have to drop it. Same goes for doing a set of 315 unbroken -

Different days / workouts I'll do differently...

Is there really a black and white answer?
Josh -
If you are ever at the point where you "bend over like a cat" you should not be performing the lift at all - that is just silly and dangerous.
__________________
Mount Vernon CrossFit, Owner
USA Powerlifting, Virginia State Rep
My gym- Mount Vernon CrossFit
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:45 PM   #45
Joshua Boyd
Member Joshua Boyd is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Edmond  OK
Posts: 14
Re: Deadlifts: drop or put down?

100% agree, that was my point.

Maybe its just me, but I have to fail to know where my breaking point is....and when i mean fail, i mean lose good form.

If i start to arch my back on the way down, its too heavy and i shouldn't do that weight in a full (up/down) deadlift.

But if I can pull the same weight without losing good form on the way up; that doesnt mean I shouldnt pick that weight up at all, it just means to me, dont follow it down, until i get stronger...

I think we're nit picking at a crossfit level. In a tradional competion lift, yea, you might have to follow the weight down, but I wasn't sure if that's exactly what the OP was asking
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:15 AM   #46
Jon Gregory
Member Jon Gregory is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brisbane  QLD Australia
Posts: 312
Re: Deadlifts: drop or put down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Boyd View Post
100% agree, that was my point.

Maybe its just me, but I have to fail to know where my breaking point is....and when i mean fail, i mean lose good form.

If i start to arch my back on the way down, its too heavy and i shouldn't do that weight in a full (up/down) deadlift.

But if I can pull the same weight without losing good form on the way up; that doesnt mean I shouldnt pick that weight up at all, it just means to me, dont follow it down, until i get stronger...

I think we're nit picking at a crossfit level. In a tradional competion lift, yea, you might have to follow the weight down, but I wasn't sure if that's exactly what the OP was asking
Don't be offended....I am making a big assumption here....but.....if you are able to lift the weight with good form but then lose form on the down its just as likely to be technique related as it is the weight.....more so in fact.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #47
Sean Dunston
Affiliate Sean Dunston is offline
 
Sean Dunston's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 5,759
Re: Deadlifts: drop or put down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Gregory View Post
Don't be offended....I am making a big assumption here....but.....if you are able to lift the weight with good form but then lose form on the down its just as likely to be technique related as it is the weight.....more so in fact.
Indeed.

For every deadlift, the form you use lowering the bar to the ground should be a mirror image of the way you lifted it - just in reverse. The only real difference will be that the bar descends with greater speed than it rose because gravity is helping you rather than fighting you.

__________________
Mount Vernon CrossFit, Owner
USA Powerlifting, Virginia State Rep
My gym- Mount Vernon CrossFit
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #48
Andrew Breyer
Member Andrew Breyer is offline
 
Andrew Breyer's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Collegeville  MN
Posts: 578
Re: Deadlifts: drop or put down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
On metcons, it takes longer to reset your grip after a dropped deadlift than it does to keep your hands on the bar and do a touch-and-go at the bottom.
I meant after the entire set. It would be silly to drop for every rep.

After the first set of 21 deadlifts at 225 for Elizabeth, I drop the bar and begin HSPU's.
__________________
My training journal:
http://icemantraining.blogspot.com/ (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:27 PM   #49
Matthew Nichols
Affiliate Matthew Nichols is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Delhi  NY
Posts: 16
Re: Deadlifts: drop or put down?

By the standard can you drop the bar and have the rep count?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:20 AM   #50
Matthew Nichols
Affiliate Matthew Nichols is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Delhi  NY
Posts: 16
Re: Deadlifts: drop or put down?

No opinions allowed.
By CrossFit standard can you drop the bar and have the rep count?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barbells Drop or don't drop? Celestino Santiago Equipment 16 02-21-2010 09:29 PM
Drop a block 4 me? Ben Moskowitz Nutrition 8 10-10-2007 01:47 AM
Where to put deadlifts in the black box? Nick Cruz Exercises 1 05-21-2007 10:50 AM
Traditional Deadlifts versus Sumo Deadlifts Brandon Michael Enos Exercises 3 04-10-2007 10:45 PM
Sprint and Drop Bob Long Exercises 10 04-13-2006 02:01 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.