CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
Jay Rhodes

Profile:
Re: Clean PR - 300lb

Great clean.

And good discussion on not having to fully extend the ankle. Peak power in the pull is actually reached before the ankle is fully extended and some lifters tend to hang out in that second pulling phase too long when they could be going under the bar. That's the whole "catapult" style lifting.
You do it quite well.

400lb clean.....haha that may be a little out there. But there IS definitely way more in the tank.

This is a vid of me hitting 300 and 305 last year right around this time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t14bDuH5FA4 (wfs)

Thought it was pretty close to maxed out. I was still low bar squatting. Switched to high bar, started seeing more gains, etc, etc. Clean is now at 335.

Read this as well, you sound A LOT like where I was the last 2 years or so. I just wrote this in the last 2 weeks.

http://outlawnorth.com/blog/low-bar-...s-of-crossfit/ (wfs)
Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes View Post
Great clean.

And good discussion on not having to fully extend the ankle. Peak power in the pull is actually reached before the ankle is fully extended and some lifters tend to hang out in that second pulling phase too long when they could be going under the bar. That's the whole "catapult" style lifting.
You do it quite well.

400lb clean.....haha that may be a little out there. But there IS definitely way more in the tank.

Thought it was pretty close to maxed out. I was still low bar squatting. Switched to high bar, started seeing more gains, etc, etc. Clean is now at 335.

Read this as well, you sound A LOT like where I was the last 2 years or so. I just wrote this in the last 2 weeks.

I didn't say he was strong enough to do 400lbs at the moment. I'm sayin with his size and technique, if he gets stronger, 400lb is a definite possibility!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
Tristan Lang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean M Hutchinson View Post
I didn't say he was strong enough to do 400lbs at the moment. I'm sayin with his size and technique, if he gets stronger, 400lb is a definite possibility!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes View Post
Great clean.

You do it quite well.

I've officially switched to high bar as of yesterday thanks to this thread. So thank you guys. My plan will be to do high bar once a week, clean heavy (with or without jerks) and/or front squat 1-2 times a week, and snatch 1-2 times a week.

Jay, have you done anything to supplement your hamstrings since making the switch? I'm thinking of adding RDLs and reverse hypers 1-2 times a week. Also, how has your jerk been affected since switching?
Old 02-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
Alan Siebuhr

Profile:

Only thing I would change is your feet: move them. it will result you being more stable when you get under the bar.

Jay is right about many people hanging around in the second pull for too long; I recently fixed this problem. The reason why it's a problem is because there's lots of wasted motion, which takes more time getting under the bar.

Next time, think "phone booth," so you're going straight up and not pulling the bar back so much. Also, do lifts from blocks as they will help you tremendously.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #15
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Lang View Post
I've officially switched to high bar as of yesterday thanks to this thread. So thank you guys. My plan will be to do high bar once a week, clean heavy (with or without jerks) and/or front squat 1-2 times a week, and snatch 1-2 times a week.

Jay, have you done anything to supplement your hamstrings since making the switch? I'm thinking of adding RDLs and reverse hypers 1-2 times a week. Also, how has your jerk been affected since switching?
RDL's are a great exercise to do for the posterior chain!