CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
Nick Murrell

Profile:
Back Squat, Deadlift & Double Unders

Hi,
New to the forum so apologise if I should have separated out these questions.

Started CrossFit about a year ago, never having done any real lifting before. Had 2 lower back injuries in the last year that have kept me out for some time. Would really appreciate some assessment/critique/guidance on my back squat and deadlift to see if bad technique maybe leading to injury.

Back Squat
http://youtu.be/2uBn4E9JOtI

Deadlifts
http://youtu.be/ALPaRuTeNk4

Double Unders
Along with many other things, double unders are frustrating the hell out of me. I know my technique is bad so looking for some guidance here as well.

http://youtu.be/IjkEr4NARX8

Thanks in advance
Old 02-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:
Re: Back Squat, Deadlift & Double Unders

Squat looks ok, just might need to work on some t-spine mobility to help with that buttwink. Not a huge problem but its not really something you want.

Deadlifts look fine to me. Nothing too obvious.

Double unders - all I have to say is keep your hands in front of you. Look how much they are moving behind your body.

A change of music could always help too...
Old 02-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I think the weights were too light to really evaluate form.

Squat depth--might be a tad high, tough from the angle and something weird that happened with the video.

Deadlift--why use the mixed grip? Save mixed grip for heavy sets, otherwise hook grip or build strength in the pronated grip with repetition and light sets. I'll go with pronated grip until I get to heavy triples (hence I need to work on my grip).

Neck is too up, pack/stack the chin to neutral position.

You are almost stiff legging the deadlift. See if you can stick the butt back more and a little down.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Andrew Wiemken

Profile:

Nice dude. Yes, work toward going lower in the squat. It looks good, it's obvious you've got the 'knees out' cue down. Squat between your legs, try to keep upright and go straight down - break at the hips first but immediately really shove the knees out as the primary cue for the descent. That will help get rid of the exaggerated lumbar arch and the subsequent forced pelvic tuck below parallel. But don't overthink it, your mobility in the hips and thorax will improve by just doing the movement, and you'll have a solid deep squat before you know it.

The advice you got from Robert for the DL is right on point, obviously.

I'm not an authority on double-unders, but do what Brad said, and try to loosen up in the whole body, you look like you're tense and that's making it unnecessarily harder. You've got it down, just let your body do it.

Nice work, keep training hard.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
Dan Thomas

Profile:

To echo the advice I got about a year ago on here...

You do what a lot of people do when they squat... you bend your knees first. I think you'll feel much more solid if you start with your hips. By that I mean, start the movement by pushing your hips backward... the knees will follow. When they do, be sure to push them outward so they track over your toes.

For me, that helped immensely (thanks, Robert).
Old 02-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
Bryce Nelson

Profile:

good work, plus some good advice on here.

Backsquat- one tool i used for myself is i warmed up with the bar and went deep in my squats for a slow 20-30 reps. alot of the time i find people who are still stiff in their hamstrings and groin area. it prevents them from a fluid comfortable motion in the squat. after time flexibilty will get there, allowing to hit the 90 degree plane and below.

Deadlift- i would bend the knees more. this allows you to get the most from your legs. instead of bending over to at the hips to rep the weight, bend the knees until the weight hits the ground, then back up. good work tho

Double unders- these dont come very easy, it takes time. key is to keep your hands in front, and jump in one place. practice will get you there.

keep up the good work.

Last edited by Bryce Nelson : 02-15-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Nick Murrell

Profile:

Thanks all, notes taken and will work on form and post again at a later date
Old 02-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

For the DUs, keep your elbows in close to your body and spin from the wrists. Its just a quick flick of the wrist really. Also, try not to have any tension in your shoulders and back. Try to relax.