CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Edmond Fenton

Profile:
Power Snatch 2nd Pull Question

Hey Guys and Gals
Been looking at the attitude nation vids and jon advocates to really bang the bar into the "pocket" as he demonstrates in his instructional vids. My question is if I should be changing my approach to hitting my 2nd pull. I have been under the impression that the bar is suppose to come in and never really lose contact with your legs. I have worked hard at doing this, but I don't seem to be getting that explosive pop and sometimes feel like the bar is just gliding up (something Jon mentions is a big no no). Any thoughts or critiques would be awesome.
-Ed
P.S. sorry for the poor quality video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ted6VZiCQco
WFS
Old 02-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Keith Miller

Profile:
Re: Power Snatch 2nd Pull Question

First of all, I think your hips are rising too fast when you come off the floor. Second, I tend to disagree somewhat with Jon's teaching regarding "banging" the bar off your hips. Typically, when/if you're banging/smashing the hip pocket really hard, it means that the bar is too far away from your body when you get to the explosion phase. I've always been taught that you should have a brush through the hips, and not necessarily a hard smash/bang. The brush should be enough to rattle the plates, but enough to bruise anything!!

Hope this helps. Also, this is just MHO on the matter!!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Edmond Fenton

Profile:

Thanks Keith for the reply.
Yes the hips coming up first is something I struggle with the most to fix and in this video it was particuarly bad. I have also heard of the "brush" from guys like Burgener. From what I am seeing, besides shooting my butt up on the first pull, I do keep the bar essentially against my thigh going up.

My main problem now is that I am not explosive in getting under the bar immediately.
-Ed
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
Jessica Nantroup

Profile:

Hey,
I agree that you really need to work on keeping that back angle the same when you are pulling the bar off the ground. At one point in the video your legs are so straight, and your shoulders are so low that your shoulders are below your hips. This is a quick way to strain your back, that that should be the first focus.

As for the brush on the upper thigh, it is very important, but should never be "bounced off." If you fix your back angle and focus on a slow rise off of the floor, pulling the knees back, when you pass the knees you can bend them again slightly while you start your acceleration (this is not the shrug/hips yet). This is called the scoop to some people or the 2nd bend by others. It helps to keep the bar in tight, while maintaining the form in the upper body. Once you hit your pocket, that is when you explode with the shrug and triple extension through the hips, knees, ankles.

Try the Burgener warm up, if you aren't already.

As for trying to get under the bar quickly (the third pull), try practicing the snatch balance.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Edmond Fenton

Profile:

Thanks for the reply Jess. That 1st pull has been my biggest challenge. I know I am naturally going to have my hips set higher than normal, but I am working on feeling the chest and shoulders rising and pulling back to try to maintain the back angle.
Thanks again
Ed
Old 02-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
Edmond Fenton

Profile:

Here is a video from today. I was really working on trying to maintain that back angle and get quick under the bar. I will work up to going full speed. Also any comments on my setup? I've been trying to "load" from the top down (get back and lats engaged then hams)

WFS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_3j4U1a8-E