CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
Edmond Fenton

Profile:
Clean Progress Critique

The first video is from about a month ago. (both 80%)

1 Month ago (WFS)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga1nbuLycNE
* I have been trying to fix the bar flying out after the 2nd pull.

Today (WFS)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XFih8N3-cw
*My bar path appears better. I am no longer jumping forward. However I'm not sure if I just be pull back harder and really extend more or is this sufficient?

Dropping in /out of the hole needs work.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Edmond Fenton

Profile:
Re: Clean Progress Critique

anybody?

I am really just looking for some help with the recent video in regards to my 2nd pull.
-Ed
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Ed, sorry this took so long.

Couple thoughts:

-Hips shot up on first pull, but just a little bit.

-Second pull looked good to me. Weight was back on your heels and you didn't pull too soon.

-I do think that you waited a little long to get under the bar, I think its possible that you're trying to hard to "shrug" the bar up and that is causing you to hesitate getting under, what do you think?

Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Edmond Fenton

Profile:

Brad
Thanks for the reply. I agree I have been focusing alot on the 2nd pull and I am not being fluid about trasitioning right into the catch. My other concern is that I don't extend my shoulder and head back into the "arched angel" pose that Joh North talks about.
Any thoughts?

-Ed
Old 02-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Fenton View Post
Brad
Thanks for the reply. I agree I have been focusing alot on the 2nd pull and I am not being fluid about trasitioning right into the catch. My other concern is that I don't extend my shoulder and head back into the "arched angel" pose that Joh North talks about.
Any thoughts?

-Ed
You could get your shoulders back a little bit more, but I don't think getting to a perfect "arched angel" is all the necessary.

Here is a good article about torso angle at the end of the second pull by Spencer Arnold. http://spencergarnold.wordpress.com/...e-second-pull/ (WFS)

If you look at the image, your torso angle looks pretty dang close to that.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Edmond Fenton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
You could get your shoulders back a little bit more, but I don't think getting to a perfect "arched angel" is all the necessary.

Here is a good article about torso angle at the end of the second pull by Spencer Arnold. http://spencergarnold.wordpress.com/...e-second-pull/ (WFS)

If you look at the image, your torso angle looks pretty dang close to that.
Great article, very interesting perspective. I have been fighting between conflicting information about whether I need that amount of extension or whether it is not necessary. From what I have seen from earlier vid from me, if I over-focus on arching back I just end up driving the bar away horizontally instead of accelerate it straight up.

So would you just recommend to continue to work on maintaining back angle on 1st pull and just get under the bar faster at this time?

Thanks
Ed
Old 02-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Fenton View Post
Great article, very interesting perspective. I have been fighting between conflicting information about whether I need that amount of extension or whether it is not necessary. From what I have seen from earlier vid from me, if I over-focus on arching back I just end up driving the bar away horizontally instead of accelerate it straight up.

So would you just recommend to continue to work on maintaining back angle on 1st pull and just get under the bar faster at this time?

Thanks
Ed
I've been reading the same conflicting information myself and have been trying to find what works best. Play around with it and see what you like best, but I think your torso angle is good in the last video you posted.

But yes, I think you should do some clean style deadlifts to your knees (100% or higher of your clean) and make sure sure your shifting the weight back to your heels and you hips and shoulders rise at the same time.