CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
Eric Shuty

Profile:
Re: DL Critique

I'm not as worried about your butt coming up to quick as I am with the fact that you seem to be falling forward on each lift. In other words keep your weight back on your heels more. Also, is the bar touching your shins when you start? It seems like the weight is away from your body from that angle. As for the belt, I agree you shouldn't use it on every set but it is also a helpful tool. It will not make your "core" weaker as is often falsely assumed. Regardless, establish your own personal point at which you start using it.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
Dana Rice

Profile:

Here is the thing - everyone is going to have a slightly different setup/pulling technique based on their body's anthropometry. Overall, I think the reps look good, but this didn't appear to be a particularly challenging weight for you. Nothing wrong with a dynamic start, but your butt shooting up before the pull indicates to me you are not really getting tight. Also, I'd recommend squeezing your chest up before the lift, which would also help with locking in a more solid position for your lower back. I have problems with this too going on currently with my heavierish pulls, and is something I am currently trying to work on.

x2 with Sean as well. If you are doing this as assistance for oly lifts, keep the shoes, but if you are trying to build up your deadlift, loose the oly shoes, and go with something flat, with as little height as possible. Socks, or chucks work fine. I would guess the heel is contributing to you not being able to keep the weight over midfoot, as Eric noted.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
Joshua Gorman

Profile:

I will try to get another set in tonight, with my Vibrams on, no belt, and a little higher camera angle to see if I can work on these things. I tried getting shins vertical, no way! Probably due to lack of flexibility more than anything.

As far as the weight used, I believe it was 275lbs. and my one rep max(with bad form) was 315. I can feel the bad form at 300+ and so dropped the weight to work on form before going back up. I am 37y and weigh 146 lbs. right now, just for reference.