CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 01-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Mike Deavers

Profile:
One Year vs. The Main Site

December 2008 was rapidly coming to an end. A great year, both personally and professionally, was winding down and my thoughts turned to 2009. I was looking for a New Year’s Resolution that would be black and white. Pass or fail. Crystal clear. A resolution that if successfully navigated would better me as a person, and as a police officer. One that would strengthen my body as well as my mind.

And it had been right in front of my face for the last two years.

The CrossFit Main Site WOD, or “Workout of the Day”.

I’d been checking in on the Main Site everyday for the last two years. Borrowing, modifying, and sometimes mocking. Whatever response fit my predetermined, and narrow, worldview of fitness at the time. All the while wondering deep down how anyone could perform the tasks laid out each night by the Glassmans for the next day. It wasn’t possible, was it? I mean I was pretty “fit”. I could run what I felt to be fast, and long, and I could do “a lot” of pull-ups. I was a CF dabbler, and I had it dialed in.

Or so I genuinely thought.

But it was time to test myself and the system, a system that I was quickly falling in love with the more I explored, studied, and attempted. My appetite became insatiable. The die was cast.

I pledged to follow the posted Main Site WODs for calendar year 2009 in an attempt to become fitter than I had ever been in my life. My running, an activity I loved, would be strictly limited to that prescribed by the site. My racing, and marathon running, would be suspended for a year. I had no excuses, and so armed with a key to the gym, and a progressive police department that allows on-duty physical training, I began the journey.

What follows is a first person account of how powerful, and doable, the Main Site programming can be. This free gift from the Glassmans can be done by anyone, and I don’t think my results are out of the ordinary. Hold on tight.

January hit me like a ton of bricks and the adaptation to the three days on/one day off cycle got my attention quick. I was instantly pitted against heavy lifts, “Mr. Joshua”, “Barbara”, “CrossFit Total”, “Elizabeth”, and “Nicole”. All WODs I would see again later in the year. What had I signed up for?

February introduced me to my first attempt at 30 Muscle Ups for time, which took 10:15 to complete and I couldn’t have been happier. Next came “Kelly” and a personal favorite “Cindy”, which saw me complete 28 rounds for the first time. “Fran” made her first appearance of the year and made me suffer in solitude for an eternity that lasted 7:30. The month would end with my dead lift up to 315lbs, and the “CrossFit Pull Up Clock” ringing in 16 minutes completed. I’m a goner.

March began with me lifting 325lbs of the ground for the first time. “Barbara”, “Helen”, “Jackie”, “CFT”, and “Murph” all left their mark. Then came “Lynne”, at 157 reps, and I began questioning my sanity. That is until “Karen” came around on the 23rd and I new I had gone mad. What else could there be to do in a month? How about the first “Fight Gone Bad” of the year. Joy. Three months down, nine to go.

April in Texas. Adaptations happening. “Nicole”, “DT”, “Nancy”, 30 Muscle Ups, and another “CFT” had the batteries drained. Or so I thought until the 15th, when I went sub-8 minutes on “Helen” for the first time. Interesting. “Danny”, “Angie”, and my first “Filthy Fifty” closed out the first quarter of the year. I might be on to something. The numbers were starting to show real improvement.

May started out heavy, with a new best in the Front Squat and another go at the dreaded “weighted/strict/kipping pull up triad” WOD. Damn, I hate that one but managed to take two minutes off my time with some focused intensity. Gotta do stick with it. “Grace” made her first appearance, as did one of my favorites, “Diane”. “The Twins”, “Michael”, and another “CFT” all conspired to damn near kill me. Three days on, and one day off requires commitment and dedication.

June in Texas. Summertime is in full effect and I’m getting married at the end of the month. My plate is full and I feel great. Or I was until I met “Erin” for the first time and nearly cried like a baby at how bad I miss-judged the difficulty of this one. 330lbs off the ground as my dead lift continued to improve, along with my score on “Lynne” and “Cindy” (31 rounds completed!). I was hooked now. No turning back. And what would June be without another attempted at the “weighted/strict/kipping pull up triad”. 20:45 last time, and 17:59 on the 21st. Oh, and she said “I do”!

July and a case of heat sickness after “Badger”. Scary. Another go at “Nate” and damnit the dreaded triad is back! 17:59 last time and 17:09 on July 11th. I’m on a roll. “Nancy”, “Filthy Fifty”, and 30 Muscle Ups all kept me in check. Humble, hungry, and focused. Another improvement on “Lynne” (183, up from 175), a first attempt at “Mary”, and a 10K run had my spirits high. Looks like a pattern of improvement to me.

August started with “JT”, “Fight Gone Bad”, and “Tabata Something Else”. 500 reps complete on that one. How cool is that? “Linda” tried to kill me on the 12th, and I lasted eighteen minutes on the “CrossFit Pull Up Clock”. I paid respects to “Ryan” on the 16th and dropped my “Karen” time to 6:01. Along the way managed to hit a new best on “Nate” with 15 rounds completed. Forging elite fitness one day at a time.

September would ring in a return of “Elizabeth”, a 5K run, and the business of moving heavy weights. “Randy” and “Annie” showed their heads, and I dropped my “Diane” time to 6:20 on the 13th! 335lbs came up off the deck on 22nd and on the 26th my “Angie” time dropped to 16:10 from 19:57 on April 19th. The highpoint of the month was a new best time on “Helen” of 7:44 on the 30th. The results, I would tell my friends, speak for themselves. Anyone can do this; I am not special in this venture. The program is.

October was a gut check. Still sleeping great and eating well. 30 Muscle Ups for time improved to 6:51 on the 5th, and my one rep Thruster improved by 10lbs on the 7th. Run 5K, “Elizabeth”, and “CFT”, led to “Fran” on the 11th when I dropped my time to under five minutes for the first time (a major goal). “Tyler” showed up and was followed by “Annie”, along with moving more heavy weights around. Constantly varied functional movement, right? That’s what led me to 51 consecutive pull ups on 25th.

November said hello with a 20lb improvement on my dead lift. Battery a little low now. “Eva” didn’t help matters on the 13th and began a nightmare cycle of pull ups. Strict, L Pull Ups, Weighted Pull Ups. Awful. Oh, and “Angie” on the 16th rang in a nice little nagging pain in the left elbow. Freaking sweet. Universally scalable. Gotta remember to listen to my body. Or that’s what I thought until “Fran” came back by on the 17th. Time improved to 3:52 with some amazing support from my friend Chuck Bennington. Thanks brother. How did that happen? “Elizabeth”, and “Joshie” rounded out the month. “Lynne” time improved to 26:43 on the 28th. I’m a believer.

December, and the end of this experiment draws near. Feeling strong, feeling healthy. Rowed 1,000M in 3:50, worked on my Split Jerks, and ran a mile wearing an 80lb Bomb Suit with helmet in 14:50 on the 9th. That sucked. My dead lift improved twenty pounds to 390lbs on the 31st. Ran a great deal, got the pull ups in, and climbed a lot of rope. The highlight of the month occurred on the 21st, when I dropped my “Diane” time to 4:56 from 6:20 on September 13th. What better way to end the experiment than with a new personal best.

And so, for me, CrossFit works. Without question. Some days were better than others and I could not have met my goal with the support of my family and friends. By any measure I increased my work capacity across broad time and modal domains. The prescription of constantly varied, functional movements, performed at high intensities has been measurably, and greatly successful.

Anyone follow this universally scalable program. What are you waiting for?

Good luck,
Mike
http://madeavers.blogspot.com (WFS)

Last edited by Mike Deavers : 01-18-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Geoff Sallee

Profile:
Re: One Year vs. The Main Site

Wow, nice gains! Are you going to keep it up for 2010?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Ryan Kenny

Profile:

dude, that's OUTSTANDING!...i can dig it.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Mike Deavers

Profile:

Many thanks. I am continuing the 'main site experiment', though this year I've gone back to the 2004 WODS. Nice to read the comments from Kelly, Lynne, and Coach almost daily back then. Real human touch with only a handfull of comments each day. Very positive vibe. Chasing times from six years ago. Chasing ghosts.

Mike
Old 01-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Sweet. Thanks for sharing. Nuff said.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
Mike Deavers

Profile:

It was also an attempt to throw some respect back to the Main Site. It worked better for me than I had expected or hoped. I was seeking general physical preparedness, and increased work capacity across broad time and modal domains and I achieved both. All from a free website. For that, I am grateful.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Deavers View Post
It was also an attempt to throw some respect back to the Main Site. It worked better for me than I had expected or hoped. I was seeking general physical preparedness, and increased work capacity across broad time and modal domains and I achieved both. All from a free website. For that, I am grateful.
Yes. This.

I'm at an affiliate. But, what you are saying became very clear to me today, in fact. A friend whose affiliate follows the mainpage said that she couldn't walk on her hands after the WOD from last Thursday. So, I went and read all of the comments from that WOD. I was floored by the number of people who were complaining about the WOD...not just complaining...ANGRY.

I realized that it was a WOD that would have made me unhappy also. But, I recognize that my affiliate throws plenty of WODs at me that I don't want to do. Some I don't think I can do. BUT, I DO THEM.

So, I showed up for my private gymnastics lesson today, and the first thing my gymnastics coach had me do was WALK ON MY HANDS. I haven't tried to walk on my hands since I was in elementary school. My handstand holds are pretty good against a wall, but my freestanding handstands are shaky at best. But, never in a million years would I think to tell my coach, "I can't walk on my hands," or "No, I'm not walking on my hands." I JUST DID IT. It took a long time. Up and back on the gymnastics floor. Then handstands to forward rolls and back extension rolls, which I had never done. But, I freaking did it.

And, you know what? By the end, my handstand was a lot better. Huh. Amazing how that works.

So, yeah, the mainpage does rock. You do the WOD. You don't avoid the things you don't like or can't do. And miraculously, you get better. And, all from a free website . Thanks for making that point.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 AM   #8
Matthew Campato

Profile:

Mike I just wanted to take a minute and first of all say congratulations on the progress you made. Thats awesome. I also wanted to thank you for posting these results. I recently had to go from an affiliate to my garage because of school and was wondering weather or not I would be following Main Site. Well you have given me the answer. Starting February 1st I'm going to follow main site as close to prescribed as possible. Keep up the great work and keep us updated.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
Neal Carlson

Profile:

Thanks for the post Mike. Very fun to read, very inspirational. Iíve got a ways to go before I can do WODs as RX. But there is a seed in my mind for my 2011 New Years Resolutions...
Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
Mike Deavers

Profile:

Thank you everyone. Again, the mad props should go to the system on this one. All I did was elect to log-on each day and essentially do what I was told, all while keeping some faith in constantly varied functional movements.

Anyone can follow the Main Site. Anyone. Period. Universal Scalability is a beautiful thing and there were plenty of days in there where the loads were just too much and I had to scale. It all worked and I was the one to benefit from it.

Coach Glassman says on the "Every Second Counts" movie "you can get really, really good in your garage". I tested that bold statement, and the man was right. The system worked, and I had the the comfort of knowing all of my WODs weren't just "being thrown together by some dude." You can do the same. Again, I'm just totally grateful. The Main Site may no longer be "fashionable" in some circles, and no I'm not training or aspiring for the Games, but wow I couldn't be happier.

General physical preparedness, word.

Thanks Coach,

Mike