CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
Dan Broome

Profile:
What can I do on my days away from the box?

Hey all -- Looking for some advice on a routine I can do to increase my overall strength and performance during my regular WODs on days away from the box.

My current schedule has me hitting my local box 3 days a week. MTW. WODís usually consist of strength work. (squats, presses, oly lifts) Usually in the 3 to 5 rep range and 3 to 5 set range. Follow by a short WOD. 10 to 15 min or less. Some weeks we'll have a longer WOD and skip the strength work.

Thursdays are my rest day. Therefore I have Fri, Sat and Sun to do my own thing. My box closes early on Fri so I canít make it in. Saturdayís Iíll be damned if I wake up early before they close at noon and Sundays they are closed.

I have pairs of 20KG and 24KG Kettlebells in my garage as well as a fitness center in my apt building. I have access to dumbbells, treadmills, lat pull-down, bicep curl machine, leg curl machine, chest press machine and weighted toning bars.

Any ideas or resources you can point me to , to develop a program for me to do on Fri and sat that can compliment my WODs. My goal is pure strength here.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
Cam Peavy

Profile:
Re: What can I do on my days away from the box?

You're already lifting MTW. Now, more is not always better. With that said, I think you would benefit from a day or two of lifting, probably Friday + Saturday, leaving Sunday to rest.

IMO, I would split it into an Upper / Lower, so Upper on Friday and Lower on Saturday. From there, you can figure out what you can do.

Upper: Lat Pulldowns, Chin Ups, DB Shoulder Press / Bench Press, Lat Raises, Rear Delt Raises, Tricep Extensions, DB Curls are only a few options.

Lower: DB Squats / Deadlifts, KB Swings, Leg Curls, Back Raises (on LPD), and many more.

While having a squat rack + barbells would probably be ideal, you can easily work with what you have.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
David Finney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Broome View Post
Any ideas or resources you can point me to , to develop a program for me to do on Fri and sat that can compliment my WODs. My goal is pure strength here.
Weighted lunges. One of my favorites when I travel is 1/2 mile of lunges, with 10 pushups every 10 lunges. No equipment needed, and it will really strengthen the legs.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Can you elaborate on the box strength program? Do you do one lift per WOD for 3-5 work sets of 3-5 reps? Or do you squat for 3-5 work sets, press for 3-5 work sets and do oly work for the 3-5 sets?

If you are doing one form of a squat, press and pull 3 times a week, you might not need more strength work and just use one day to work on a weakness.

On the other hand if you just hit one lift per session, I'd almost want a way to have you squat and press another day.

The current tools you have available are nice for assistance work but are not the keystones to building strength since you mention pure strength as your goal.

If your goal is "pure strength" would there be any value in finding a program that really focuses on strength than mashing extra strength into your boxes program that seems to be a balance between WODs with some basic strength work.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
Richard Colon

Profile:

Take that pair of 24kg KBs, look up the work of Ivan Denisov (youtube, etc.), and aim to do 1/10th of what he does on one day of the weekend.

That is all. The endurance and strength that can be gained from that sort of KB work is phenomenal.

I've heard rumors that although he is a "big russian" dude, he pulled a 600+ DL and there are videos of him rowing sub 1:20 500m. He doesn't train those at all..
Old 05-12-2014, 11:55 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

You said Pure Strength.

About the only thing you can work on with that equipment is upper body BW strength and conditioning besides going heavy and SWOLE on the machines.

BW Fri, Condition Saturday. Chill on Sun for the 3days coming up.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
Dan Broome

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Can you elaborate on the box strength program? Do you do one lift per WOD for 3-5 work sets of 3-5 reps? Or do you squat for 3-5 work sets, press for 3-5 work sets and do oly work for the 3-5 sets?

If you are doing one form of a squat, press and pull 3 times a week, you might not need more strength work and just use one day to work on a weakness.

On the other hand if you just hit one lift per session, I'd almost want a way to have you squat and press another day.

Our strength program just has us doing one lift before the WOD. So we will work on say squats for 15 min or so. Rep scheme always varies. Some weeks its 3x3 or 5x3. With different percentages.

Quote:
If your goal is "pure strength" would there be any value in finding a program that really focuses on strength than mashing extra strength into your boxes program that seems to be a balance between WODs with some basic strength work.
Are you saying I should stop attending the WOD's for a while and jump on a strength program? I suppose I can do that. My only question is which program given the schedule I keep. I have access to the box MTW possibly Th if I give up that rest day. Fri, Sat I can't get to the box before it closes.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
Dan Broome

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
Take that pair of 24kg KBs, look up the work of Ivan Denisov (youtube, etc.), and aim to do 1/10th of what he does on one day of the weekend.

That is all. The endurance and strength that can be gained from that sort of KB work is phenomenal.

I've heard rumors that although he is a "big russian" dude, he pulled a 600+ DL and there are videos of him rowing sub 1:20 500m. He doesn't train those at all..
I was thinking of working on Snatches on Fri and Sat along with some Turkish Get-ups. Perhaps do some German Volume Training http://www.mikemahler.com/online-lib...l-program.html (WFS)

Not sure how effective that would be. I am doing some research on how I can incorporate Kettlebell workouts but not been successful. I would like to follow a proven plan.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:48 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Look up some of Dan John's or Ross Enamait's or Mike Mahler's KB.

A common one we would program for KB work was 10 to 1 or 20 to 1 in steps of 2. You get the idea.

MTuTH, make Wed/Fri light days. Then you can workout Saturday.