CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
David Finney

Profile:
New T-Nation Steroid Article

Interesting read:

http://www.t-nation.com/powerful-wor...t-and-steroids
Old 05-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Adam Shreim

Profile:
Re: New T-Nation Steroid Article

Seems like he is just saying what everybody else is saying. If they want to write a thoughtful article at this stage in the game, they should start sharing what type of PEDs they think these guys are using, how they can beat the system and the pro/con line-up for taking certain PEDs. What are the effects of coming off a cycle? How long do you maintain the benefits? Are they beating the tests and continuing to use or do they have "on and off" periods.

There will be clean and dirty people, not everybody is going to get caught, so it will always be speculation until somebody creates an unbeatable test.

I am in the "AGAINST" crowd for PED use, as I view it as cheating (in a competition) and dangerous/fear of negative side-affects (if not in competition). However, when people write these articles like they are "in the know" about people juicing, gearing, whatever they call it... why not start sharing some more detail? To protect the secrets of the cheaters, because guys like him are the ones who help them figure it out?

With that being said, I am a hypocrit for PED use in sports where it is known that all top competitors use PEDs. Like cycling or weightlifting (on the international stage). If all of your compeition is using PEDs, then you may as well make take them or not bother competing. Or start housing 2 different categories: people on PEDs and people all-natural. Doesn't matter, I suppose, people cheat at almost everything. Sports, tests, business, video games... you name it, somebody is trying to get more bang for their buck.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
Matt Payne

Profile:

Very interesting read for sure. Nothing new here having said that. I don't think it is even worth him sharing specifics of what drugs to use , how to beat tests etc..
The majority of the CF Community I suspect is in complete denial about this as it stands so why the details?

Any minute now we will hear the author discredited I suspect. :roll eyes:
Old 05-13-2014, 02:54 AM   #4
Jan Dahlberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
Very interesting read for sure. Nothing new here having said that. I don't think it is even worth him sharing specifics of what drugs to use , how to beat tests etc..
The majority of the CF Community I suspect is in complete denial about this as it stands so why the details?

Any minute now we will hear the author discredited I suspect. :roll eyes:
The only people that would try and discredit that article have to be insanely naive.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:34 AM   #5
Steven Wingo

Profile:

I don't understand the purpose of his article. It is kind of like a kid on a school yard trying to tear another one down--"Oh Yeah, well my feet may stink but yours do too." Or in this case "Oh Yeah, well we may use steroids but you do too."

So let's assume he is correct, PED use is rampant within high levels of CrossFit. I don't know if that is true. But let's assume it is for a moment. That would just make "professional" level CrossFit athletes fit in with the rest of the professional sports world.

Does that in any way take away or minimize what CrossFit has done in a positive way for health and fitness for literally millions of people at this point? Or its contributions to defining fitness? Or to helping athletes learn to become better and more fit? Or law enforcement, fire fighters, and military personnel more proficient at their jobs? Or advance the effectiveness of training programs for overall balanced fitness? No, not at all.

The author seems to simply be upset that "the people at CrossFit" have a holier than thou attitude and that is what rankles him. But I just don't see it. What I see is a jealous author.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #6
Joe Novak

Profile:

I think that he makes a two really good points, even if they've been made before about other sports.

First, that an anti-doping program keeps honest people honest and is an intelligence test as much as anything, is best proved by Lance Armstrong. That said, in 2012 there were Crossfit teams disqualified for failing drug tests.

Second, that most people who are caught, have the dime dropped on them rather than test positive (BALCO, Lance, Biogenesis.)

In the case of the CF Games, if someone really is doping, all it takes is someone to become disgruntled and out them. You can't grow steroids in your yard; someone has to supply them.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #7
Andrew Bell

Profile:

I see nothing new in this article that hasn't been posted by half a dozen others. T-Nation posts some good stuff, but then they post crap like this, baseless accusations that prove nothing and I really think do nothing but improve the traffic to their site. Anthony Roberts article should have got a LOT more people thinking than this one.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #8
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Novak View Post
I think that he makes a two really good points, even if they've been made before about other sports.

First, that an anti-doping program keeps honest people honest and is an intelligence test as much as anything, is best proved by Lance Armstrong. That said, in 2012 there were Crossfit teams disqualified for failing drug tests.

Second, that most people who are caught, have the dime dropped on them rather than test positive (BALCO, Lance, Biogenesis.)

In the case of the CF Games, if someone really is doping, all it takes is someone to become disgruntled and out them. You can't grow steroids in your yard; someone has to supply them.
I agree with this. Also, the point he makes with how CrossFit is the perfect sport for steroids to play a role is an important note to make. Doing multiple wods a day, everyday crushes your body and it needs to recover, steroids help dramatically with just that. Combine that with his other message of just because there is a testing system in place doesn't mean the sport is clean (only idiots get pinched by a test) and I think the overall message is pretty clear.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is with top level athletes using PED's. Like he said, there is no even playing field simply due to genetics. Not to mention that whenever there is sufficient motivation, people will use and if they use smartly it will go completely undetected. To say any sport is clean is a pretty silly statement to make.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:03 AM   #9
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
Personally, I don't see what the big deal is with top level athletes using PED's. Like he said, there is no even playing field simply due to genetics. Not to mention that whenever there is sufficient motivation, people will use and if they use smartly it will go completely undetected. To say any sport is clean is a pretty silly statement to make.
To say I agree would be an understatement. I am all in favor of letting our professional athletes from all walks of life juice up as much as they want. That's the ONLY way to create a level playing field. They understand the risk, just stop hiding it and acting like you are natural.

Sorry, getting off the soap box.....
Old 05-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #10
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
To say I agree would be an understatement. I am all in favor of letting our professional athletes from all walks of life juice up as much as they want. That's the ONLY way to create a level playing field. They understand the risk, just stop hiding it and acting like you are natural.

Sorry, getting off the soap box.....
Not to mention the beating professional athletes put their bodies through, one of the biggest advantages of PED use is to help them recover. If we allowed doctors to administer these things the negative risks would be heavily limited. While there are certainly potential negative side effects, science has come a long way and proper use can really limit those.

I too will step off my soap box