CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: training for 5k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Hope im not hijacking this thread, but I do wonder if anyone uses a HR when running?
I am terrible when it comes to endurance mainly because my HR goes up so high (over 90% - and very low pace also, almost jogging) and I fear Im damaging my heart and therefore I only do intervals lately.
Go for a run and if you can talk with the person next to you that is running with you then you are at a good level. By doing this you will not reach your max pulse as by talking not only keeps your mind on other things but it does really help.

You will find that you can run further..
Old 05-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Wurst View Post
Currently I am doing Starting Strength, 3x a week right now..
Starting Strength is very rough on you. It is a program intended to be done by itself without any other exercise. Here is a suggestion...

Consider changing to doing Starting Strength 2 times a week. Something like Mondays and Fridays. That would give your a lot more energy for running, while still progressing with Starting Strength. This would give you Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays to run.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #13
Alexis Counsell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Beltran View Post
I think the complete opposite. If you are able to run 2k hard, you are able to run 5k hard.
Mario's Programme looks pretty solid.

If you've got a smartphone go grab RunKeeper or similar and run 5K and check your pace.

Knowing the pace you are running on Race Day and sticking to it is essential - you'll probably get super enthusiastic on the day and go out hard, and if you're body doesn't know what 5k feels like you'll have a miserable time at around 3k or so.

5K is easy for anyone of half decent fitness - do Mario's programme, practice your race day pace.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #14
Ezra Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Wurst View Post
Hey folks,

I recently got an invitation to do a 5K-run in early July this summer. This means, roughly 8 weeks to train for it. I am a strength athlete and I guess my endurance is below average. My goal is to finish it in under 30 minutes.
In the meantime, I also want to keep doing my strength training. Is there a way to train for it in the most efficient way? I read about tabatas and how this group of athletes had better results doing this protocol than another group that was training longer runs.
Is that a good idea?

What do you think of:
strength training 3x week and tabatas 2x/week?

thanks!
I would run a 5k once to make sure I could do it and then go back to doing starting strength. 5k under 30 minutes should not be hard.

How long have you been doing CrossFit? If it is longer then 6-9 months I wouldn't worry about your pace. you will finish under your 30 min goal.

If you wanted to be a competitive 5k runner it is going to take longer then 8 weeks anyway but generally I think running 5k once a week for 8 weeks would help.

let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:57 AM   #15
Stephen Smith

Profile:

You should be fine if you just work some conditioning into the ends of your workouts, or a few days a week. As a frame of reference, I'm 49, have been doing nothing but 5/3/1 for the last 5 months, with either loaded carries, sprints or 400's after workouts as my only conditioning, as well as walking my dog every day, and I ran 2 miles on a whim yesterday to see if I could, and held at sub-10 minute pace without much difficulty.

The only reason I stopped at 2 miles is because that's how far it was from the movie theater where I saw the new X-men movie, to the Kohl's where my wife was shopping while waiting for me. I could have kept going with no change in effort. The only down side was, it ended up being a $300 movie once you factor the shopping trip in, but I did get a new pair of Nikes out of the deal...