CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
Bob Herald

Profile:
Deadlift stalled

My deadlift has been stalled under 400 lbs for a long time. I pull once a week conventional. The most I've pulled is 395. I can consistently pull 385 conventional and sumo. I can rack pull 405+ mid shin.
I've tried all kinds of rep schemes. 5/3/1 , 5x5, pyramids, heavy singles . I can't seem to pull 405 from the floor. I have a strong grip and I've gained size and strength in all my other lifts. Any suggestions ?
Old 02-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Cam Peavy

Profile:
Re: Deadlift stalled

Have you tried implementing Good Mornings? I pulled 370 (30 lb PR) last week after not DL'ing for a couple weeks, and I feel like I can credit that to Good mornings.. Just a thought.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Jason Newland

Profile:

What got me over the hump to get to the 405 mark (I was also stuck at 385 for a long time) was taking some of the cues from Kelly Starret's video on finding torque. Once I got a better starting stance, i.e. loading my hamstrings more, in addition to just using the lower back muscles, I immediately jumped 20 lbs in my DL PR.

(WFS)
http://youtu.be/mjbvf0P0bas

The whole video is good, but I'm specifically referring to where he talks about stance and setup toward the end. This may or may not apply to you, but it worked for me. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
Bob Herald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Newland View Post
What got me over the hump to get to the 405 mark (I was also stuck at 385 for a long time) was taking some of the cues from Kelly Starret's video on finding torque. Once I got a better starting stance, i.e. loading my hamstrings more, in addition to just using the lower back muscles, I immediately jumped 20 lbs in my DL PR.

(WFS)
http://youtu.be/mjbvf0P0bas

The whole video is good, but I'm specifically referring to where he talks about stance and setup toward the end. This may or may not apply to you, but it worked for me. Good luck.
So do you push your knees out on your deadlift?
Old 02-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
Jason Newland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
So do you push your knees out on your deadlift?
During the setup. Basically, to use the hamstrings more. Not necessarily enough to where it becomes a squat, but as demonstrated in the video, it engages the entire posterior chain. Like he mentions, think of it like twisting your feet into the floor, and/or imagine twisting a piece of steel that wants to snap back into place. That's the torque that helps drive the legs.

A positive side effect. If I manage to get my setup correct, I can't over-arch my neck/back, so I end up avoiding the lower back pain that I'd usually get before from the more standard variety DL that I used to do (shown at the beginning of the video). It takes a little practice on the setup, but it ended up working. You may video your setup and see if you do any of the stuff (good or bad) from the video.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #6
Frank Ngo

Profile:

You could try Dynamic DL's

Put band over the bar length-wise, center the section touching the ground together, then step on the band. Band should be touching the bar in (2) locations.

Banded DL with 60-75% max, but try to increase velocity of bar. i.e. pull the bar as fast as you can. Recommended 2-3 reps, rest 10-20 secs, repeat. 4-6x.

Idea is to move the bar as fast as possible, you begin to show signs of fatigue after 2-3 lifts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6xPIZC6lhM
(WFS)
Old 02-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
Matt Thomas

Profile:

If you're stuck on the floor try implementing deficit deadlifts or snatch grip deadlifts after your main sets.

Also you've "tried all sorts of rep schemes?" What's the longest you've ever stuck with one program?
Old 02-11-2014, 12:30 AM   #8
Mark Fowler

Profile:

Try the Coan Fillipi (sp?) routine. Its great for adding weight to your deadlift PB. Its a 10 week routine, and some of the weeks are REAL hard, but it really does get results.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:44 AM   #9
William Garrett

Profile:

Good Read.....

WFS Link
http://www.t-nation.com/training/explode-your-deadlift
Old 02-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #10
Drew Watson

Profile:

Tons of contradicting advice here. Dont do Coan Philippi, thats for more advanced lifters and the workload is up there.

How long is a long time? Changing up your routine that much in 3-4 months isnt good for anything, 400lbs isnt a weight people should be stalling at either.

If you can pull it mid shin and lock it out but struggle from the floor obvious answer is to deficit deads. Dont do them as an accessory lift either, they should be your main deadlift exercise for 8-12 weeks, if you seriously want to get better at it, plug it into something you can do with your other work. Deficit Deads should be the first exercise and the main heavy exercise you do for deadlifts.