CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
Hans Wurst

Profile:
Change Program for tough mudder?

Hi,

I am doing Starting Strength since January 26th and my lifts are now:

6'1", 187lb, about 15 % bf

back squat 154 => 259lb (1,4x bw)
bench press 143 => 187lb (1x bw)
press 100 => 134lb (0,7x bw)
deadlift 154 => 297lb (1,6x bw)
strict pull ups 2 => 10
no power cleans

We want to compete at a tough mudder in October where I want to be fit. So I got at least 5 months left do work out. What do you recommend, stay on that program for 1-2 months and then do exclusive metconts or running? Mix in some met cons now? Switch to Crossfit Wichita Falls Programm?

And also, what do you think does one need to lift? Is it sufficient to bench my bw and be able to do 10 strict pull ups or do I need to get stronger and do 20+ pull ups?

thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Milton Brisson

Profile:
Re: Change Program for tough mudder?

Hey man, I will put my opinion in for this......

Starting strength, the begginer LP program, when done right and well, can get you to some really good strength numbers in about three or four months. I would keep at SS for a while. THat could give you two months to train for the tough mudder.

My suggestion, stay on SS for a couple of more months, so you can get the most out of it, then start training for the race. I would suggest going to crossfitfootball.com and using the program there until the race. I used to train CFFB for rugby, just put some runs in place of the DWoDs. Just a thought.

I cant answer your question about how much you need to lift. Thats up to you to decide on what you want to acccomplish, and what goals you have set for yourself.

Happy training!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

I can't give advice about your strength programs because I have always followed the programming at my box. Prior to starting CF a little less than 2 years ago, I had never even run a 5K for time.

What I found is that CF is GREAT preparation for a Tough Mudder. I fared MUCH better than I thought I would, having never covered any where near that much distance before in my life! And I think that our group of CF'ers fared MUCH better than the average athlete we saw on the course.

I would say that if you have a solid team, and a good level of fitness, you will do fine. If you want to come in first place, that may be a different story.

Rather than focusing on specific TM training, I would suggest following these tips we complied after our group finished (we were 35 strong) for the best experience.

1. wear some sort of calf compression sleeves
2. put band-aids or something on your nipples. the day after, my nipples hurt more than anything.
3. drink plenty of water, starting a couple of days before
4. stick together and hit ALL of the obstacles
5. have dinner with your team after and enjoy many cold beers and a large meal while talking about how fun your day was

I was so nervous in the week before that I almost backed out. You have to remember that when you are doing a WOD, you are going all out for 10, 15 or maybe 20 minutes.

I never felt as tired during the TM as I do after a 20 minute WOD.

You just aren't working as hard. Jogging, climbing, crawling, jumping, etc. All are easier than sprinting, rowing, doing body weight cleans, etc.

Don't over think it and have fun!
Old 04-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
Chris Richardson

Profile:

I ran the tough mudder with a hang over thanks to Tour de Franzia (as in the wine)... just train how you always do and you will be just fine!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
Steven Thunander

Profile:

5/3/1, while being a much slower gain program, allows for much more conditioning work than SS or CFFB. You use the WOD as your accessory exercise (except for pullups).

Assuming that you do 2 531 workouts a day, you have 2-3 days of conditioning and OLY work, with one of those days being a longer (20-40min) effort (Hero wods). That will be more than sufficient to complete a TM.

Now if you are looking to be competitive, you will have to change your programming to more of a CrossFit Endurance template and add in some longer runs as well.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

What these guys said: you can afford to stay on SS and do metcons as long as they're short (10 mins or fewer) and heavy.

I've trained people for TMs before and everyone says that if they could train one thing more, they would choose hill running. I suggest working in runs 1-2 months prior to the TM while keeping your current programming and focus on hill running. 1 month out, ramp up the runs a bit. Include sprints and moderate intensity, moderate (4-7 mile) distance runs.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Spinelli View Post
Don't over think it and have fun!
That is the best advice in my opinion. Go have fun. You don't need lots of special training. Just do CrossFit--lifting and body weight work and metcons.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
Ezra Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Wurst View Post
Hi,

I am doing Starting Strength since January 26th and my lifts are now:

6'1", 187lb, about 15 % bf

back squat 154 => 259lb (1,4x bw)
bench press 143 => 187lb (1x bw)
press 100 => 134lb (0,7x bw)
deadlift 154 => 297lb (1,6x bw)
strict pull ups 2 => 10
no power cleans

We want to compete at a tough mudder in October where I want to be fit. So I got at least 5 months left do work out. What do you recommend, stay on that program for 1-2 months and then do exclusive metconts or running? Mix in some met cons now? Switch to Crossfit Wichita Falls Programm?

And also, what do you think does one need to lift? Is it sufficient to bench my bw and be able to do 10 strict pull ups or do I need to get stronger and do 20+ pull ups?

thanks
No need to train anything else unless you just happen to be the absolute worst runner in the world.

Although do what Joe above says, he has good practical advice for race day. I wish I had wore calf sleeves.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
Steven Thunander

Profile:

More advice

CFFB is too aggressive on the strength componet. However, adding in runs will be necessary at that distance. Thus my modified recommendations.

1. Switch to 5/3/1. It is slower, but allows for conditioning work
2. Ramp up metcons and add in running. If you can handle it, do a hero every week once you can handle the volume.
3. Listen to your body. Rest when needed.
4. There is NOTHING wrong with skipping a mesocycle of 531 during the month/six weeks leading up to the race. Just do some strength work to maintain your gains and focus on metcon and skills you need for the race.

I did a spartan sprint in Miller Park and I only added in additonal hero work and some running. As a TM is longer, adding a few longer runs and hill work will be necessary. If you do a Spartan super or beast, add in some weighted runs, specific skill work (Rope climbs, wall mountings, monkey bar work, muscleups) and possibly some rucking, and lots of burpees. But most of this can be done within the framework of normal CF wods.