CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-16-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
Christopher J Klossner

Profile:  
I am new to CF, and am on my 6th WOD today.. now i am in the army, just got my green beret, and want to show up to group in stellar shape..the group CSM has been harping on CF from what i hear, however, is this going to be enough to do great on a standard APFT, or do i need to add in more running, pushups or situps or anything? any advice would be helpful, i love doing the WOD's...
Old 08-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
Andy Shirley

Profile:
I would say do a search of the board for "apft." Lots of prior discussion on this topic.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
Dave Campbell

Profile:
Chris,
I was in the 1/75 Ranger Bn from 82-85. The WOD will get you in phenomenal shape, but I would work on push-ups and sit-ups in addition to the WOD. I think you need about 60-70 push-ups for full points on the AFFT, right? That's a lot and might require some specialty work. We could talk all day about whether or not the AFPT is a good indicator of fitness, but you're stuck with it. The type of training/unit your in; it's more about mental strength than physical strength. I saw a lot of buff guys quit.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
After I switched to doing the WOD instead of normal PT my APFT score stayed pretty stable in the 330-340 range. My real-world fitness increased alot. If you're trying to raise your score, you probably want to add some focus work on your weak areas, but in my experience your score won't drop just because you're no longer doing pushups everyday.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
Christopher J Klossner

Profile:  
ok all this sounds good, i do decent as it is on a PT test... so glad that this will maintain but how about cardio??
Old 08-16-2006, 04:46 PM   #6
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Do the WoD with intensity and then ask the question about cardio again if it is not appearant. (=
Old 08-16-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
Dave Campbell

Profile:
You do decent on the PT test? Decent is for supply wienies! We had to get a perfect score or work extra on our own time. Decent is not an option for the type of unit you're going to.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #8
Christopher J Klossner

Profile:  
LOL maybe my words are too modest, decent means perfect in my book, 300, i wouldnt have made it this far otherwise... anyways yes i will do WOD's with high intensity and then see how my cardio pans out... thanks for the help all
Old 08-16-2006, 07:15 PM   #9
Dave Campbell

Profile:
Good luck Chris. I only wish I had Crossfit when I was in the military.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:24 AM   #10
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
Re: cardio. I am as fast on the 2 miler now as when I was running 20-30 miles per week pre crossfit.