CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-21-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
d. Mark Miller

Profile:
are there any triathletes out there who also regularly perform the WOD's? how do you incorporate them into your training schedule? did you decrease your triathlon specific training when you started crossfit? how has doing crossfit affected your endurance? thanks for any info.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Yes but what has happened over time is that I do less and less tri specific (read that long and slow) training and more and more high intensity training. The WOD's work up to Olympic distance very well but is not what you want for a half or full Ironman. On Sunday I am doing a 22 mile MTB, 50 mile road bike, 12 mile kayak and 19 miles of running (in a race called Mountain to Sound that starts at the Snoqualamie ski resort here in Washington state) all on CF training. I've been on the water once, my longest run this year has been 8 miles, I have not been on my mountain bike and I have ridden on the road precisely once. It will be a mental test to be sure as I don't feeel adequately prepared for 100 miles of racing on the kind of training I have done. You don't prepare for an 800 meter run with long slow runs and preparing for a 100 mile race requires more than what CF WOD's provide. You need your long work if you're going to race long.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:35 AM   #3
d. Mark Miller

Profile:
thanks. good luck in your race. do you think doing the long, slow workouts is detrimental to the overall fitness gains made by doing crossfit alone?
Old 06-22-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
Nicholas Burgett

Profile:
It depends on what you are training for. I did an Ironman last year and HAD to train long and slow to have the required base under me to take on that distance and time.

The problem I have now is that I'm having so much fun (no, really, I am) doing the CF WOD's that the LSD work is just not appealing to me. This is also probably due to the fact that a full year of LSD training for the Ironman can eat away at even the most determined endurace athlete from a boredom standpoint.

So I guess my response is that it depends. I personnaly think that while LSD work is required for certain length events, for me it's detrimental from a mental standpoint. I also know that I've read enough on here to know that there have been studies conducted that show significant muscle mass loss when performing aerobic work in excess of 45 minutes of duration (I think that was the time barrier, but others who are more knowledgeable about this will correct me).

I can tell you that I've been on my bike about 10 times so far this year for about and hour each time and I'm putting out about 10-15% more wattage (over the entire hour) now than I did when I had that huge aerobic base last year. That increased wattage is also at a heart rate below what I consider to be my efficient aerobic zone. In other words, due almost solely to CF, I'm putting out more power at a lower heart rate over the same amount of time with significantly less sport specific training.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
d. Mark Miller

Profile:
Thanks Nick. I've done a couple of Olympic distance tri's in the past and was thinking of doing a half ironman this fall and maybe a full ironman in a year or two. Do you think that 45 min per day of LSD after the WOD plus 2-3 hours of LSD on the weekend would be sufficient to finish a half ironman? I'm not looking to be competitive, I'd just like to finish within the allowed time.

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 06-22-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
Jamie Clark

Profile:
There's tons of great info on this board. Look for "triathlon" on the search page and you'll see the wealth of info.

I agree with Eugene and Nicholas, Xfit should serve you pretty well up to olympic distance. Ive done 4 so far this year ( 1 half IM, 2 olympic, and 1 sprint) on 98% xfit. I can feel it past about the 20 mile mark on the bike and about the 6 mile mark on runs (swim is all technique). Past olympic distance and I personnaly think you need more sport specific training and that will detract some from your GPP. To gain an additional unit of one you have to give up a unit of the other. Like the guys said, you have to evaluate your priorities. Xfit is a GPP program, you'll be good at alot of things across the spectrum of fitness including shorter distance tris. Focus on specific sport like triathlon and you'll be good at tris but it wont carry over to much else.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:51 AM   #7
Nicholas Burgett

Profile:
Mark, you said that you just want to finish within the allowed time. What is that allowed time for the event you're thinking of? Also, can you give some sample times for oly or sprint distance tri's you've done? It might also help to know what you're splits typically are for the 2 shorter distances. With that info, I can at least compare what I've done in races and how I prepared for them and where you are right now.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:07 PM   #8
d. Mark Miller

Profile:
let me look up my times and get back to you shortly. thanks again for all your advise and help.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
d. Mark Miller

Profile:
Nick, my times for the Olympic distance tri's have been 2 hours and 25 to 35 mins. swim times about 30 min., bike times about 1 hour and 5 to 10 min., and 45 to 50 min run. No idea what my time was for the one sprint distance tri I did several years ago. I don't know what the allowed times are for the half ironman because I haven't decided on a race yet. The "just want to finish" comment was more about eventually doing a full ironman in a year or two.
Mark
Old 06-25-2006, 05:46 AM   #10
Nicholas Burgett

Profile:
Mark, those times are just about equal to my times for oly races in the last year. I was able to hit those times and be prepared for a 1/2IM by roughly following a plan similar to this:

M - Rest
T - Bike 60-90 min, Swim 45 min
W - Run 60-90 min, Swim 45 min
Th - Bike 60-90 min, Swim 45 min
F - Run 30-60 min
S - Bike 2.5-4 hrs
S - Run 1.5-2 hrs

This level of training was more than enough for me to be ready for a 1/2IM. Not shown here would be the bricks, or other type workouts that I would sprinkle in. I would also occasionally do some kind of interval training, but not much. All my bike training except for the Saturday long ride was done on a fluid trainer. There were a few 3 hour trainer sessions due to bad weather, but those were kept to a minimum.

I would also caution that when I talk about LSD, my LSD training rate was at about 78%-85% of my max heart rate. In general, I would say that as long as you don't put too much empahsis on the S in LSD, then coupling the WOD's and some LSD for overall endurance should net you a very successful 1/2IM.

One other point I would make is that if you are going to scrimp on the training for any one of the skills, don't let it be the swimming. Every race where I've performed below expectations (from not PR'ing to cracking like an egg on the run) could be directly attributed to not swimming enough prior to the race.

Hope that helps.