CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-17-2006, 05:54 AM   #11
Christopher J Klossner

Profile:  
Thanks Dave, yeah i am definitely glad i just got turned on to CrossFit, its great, i really enjoy not knowing what workout is next... and the best part is posting how you do and comparing with everyone else, it truly motivates me ya know...in my head i am like well i dont want to looke like a wimp on the boards lol so i work harder...

and Chris, you just stick with CF and no extra cardio and you maintained speeed? thats great!!! this just may be the best workout program ever!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:02 AM   #12
Jamie Clark

Profile:
I guess everyone is different. Ive been in the army for about 16 years and been doing Crossfit for about a year. I am in great "cardio" shape but I still need to run or I feel I get too bulky and slow, but thats just me. I do tabata sprints 1-2 times a week and 1 longer run 5-9 miles once a week, in addition to the WOD and BJJ.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:30 AM   #13
Christopher J Klossner

Profile:  
Jamie, are you doing anything for pushups or situps then? it seems to me the WOD will take care of that, but i am only a week in. Whats the BJJ?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:38 AM   #14
Jamie Clark

Profile:
Once again this is just me.... I know some guys who can sit around and eat doritos for a 6 months and run a 10:30, Im not that guy.

I normally just do the WOD, BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 2-3 times a week), and the running I described. I ramp up push ups and sit ups doing sets throughout the day (like the grease the groove protocols) about 2 weeks before a PT test comes up and thats enough to do in the 80s to 90s comfortably on pushups and sit ups. For me running takes a little more time, I couldnt start a couple of weeks prior and run a good time (12:30 or below).

Like another poster said, merits of the PT test aside, CF if done right will get you in phenomenal general physical shape and prepared for just about anything, but you may need to tweak your training to excel at a specific event such as the APFT. Some dont, I do.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #15
Christopher J Klossner

Profile:  
I got ya, yah i am definitely not the guy who can sit around drink beer and still run 10 min 2 miles, i have to work at it too LOL... now the Tabata sprints you do...i did some research and it 8 sets of 20 seconds of sprints? is that how it works? sounds like a decent run program, 2 sprints and one long slow run a week, can you describe the tabata sprints in better detail for me if i dont understand them? thanks
Old 08-17-2006, 01:26 PM   #16
Jamie Clark

Profile:
Theres plenty of stuff on this board about tabata. Basically its an exercise protocol that can be applied to anything: squats, pushups, swimming, whatever. I do a 5 minute warm up run, the 4 minutes (8 sets) of sprints 20 seconds on 10 seconds off as fast as I can go, then a 5 minute cool down jog. 14 minutes total. Which group did you get by the way?
Old 08-17-2006, 02:52 PM   #17
Christopher J Klossner

Profile:  
Headed to 1st Group in Sep, so willl be a nice 3000 mile drive from Bragg to Lewis, so now have about a month to clear, workout and get up to NY to see my girlfriend..good times...