CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-25-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
Timothy Mark

Profile:
Has anyone else noticed fluid in your lungs after an intense workout? I find myself coughing up small amounts of clear mucus and wonder if it is just from the exertion of the lungs during the workout. It is something I have noticed since I started crossfit about 8 weeks ago. I cough it up off an on throughout the day, not just immediately following a hard workout.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
Kevin Perry

Profile:
If I were you I would go see a doctor especially if you are feeling symptoms of sickness.

...last time that happened to me it was phnemonia for 8 weeks.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:21 AM   #3
Timothy Mark

Profile:
I talked with my Doctor this morning, he happens to be a good friend of mine, and asked him what he thought. He says that most likely what is happening is that the intensity of the exercise is releasing sinus fluid. The key is the color of the fluid. If it is frothy, thick, or worse yet green, then I would have a problem. Also, if there were shortness of breath that continued through out the day then that would indicate a problem. So I think it is likely that it is just a sinus issue that becomes apparent after the intense workout. No worries. Thanks!

Tim

Old 07-26-2007, 04:39 AM   #4
Andy Shirley

Profile:
http://www.chestjournal.org/cgi/content/full/126/2/394

Safe link to journal article on a type of exercise induced pulmonary edema. The last time this came up I wondered if the intensity of the WODs were causing a similar condition in some Crossfitters. I still think this is a likely explanation.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
Timothy Mark

Profile:
Thanks for the link Andy. I checked it out and it was interesting reading. I am sending a copy of the pdf to my Doctor. It makes sense to me. As long as there is no long term damage I am going to keep doing what I am doing as I am seeing great results from it.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

I had this one time back at the first Colorado cert a couple of years ago. I did "Fran" in a 2-minute PR of 6 minutes or so (desperately trying not to be 200% of Kelly Moore's time, which was something like 3:20 or less that day).

The combination of major exertion and Colorado thin air (I'm a lowlander) left me coughing periodically for the next 3-4 hours. I wasn't alone . . . seemed like half the room was doing so.

I've worked very hard some times since, but never hard enough to induce that response . . . proving once again that "men will die for points" (or to not get thrashed too badly by Kelly).
Old 07-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
Timothy Mark

Profile:
I like the technical side of the coin and it would be interesting for Crossfit to perform some of the test described in the swimming induced pulmonary edema article to see if there is a correlation with the high intensity WODs.

Thank you both for taking the time to write. I sure appreciate the crossfit community and hope to be an active part in it.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Let me know what your doc buddy says about it. Its obviously not a mainstream concern, and thus not even considered as a possibility. And I'd be surprised if many MDs are even aware of the possibility of the condition.

I wish the study delved into the intensity of the swim described. And of course in the swimmer, it could be a case of unrecognized aspiration(even though they attempted to control for it).

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/reprint/79/4/1226?ijkey=02d220bb21a7a57d08cbaeb14b 50d6e147e76a50

Link to related study on highly trained triathletes. Safe link.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Medical
Old 07-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
Corey Duvall

Profile:
I have actually noticed the same thing from time to time. A bit of wheezing shortly following a tough WOD, some coughing, minor watery clear mucous, and it goes away after an hour or so. I've found that I notice it mostly on the humid days. I'm actually pretty glad to hear there are some others out there experiencing this. I've never seen it as a major concern, but in the back of my mind...