CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-31-2005, 06:03 PM   #71
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I have managed to do 12laps underwater with fins, without really pushing my limit. Maybe I'll try again this week if I get a chance.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:04 PM   #72
Eric Moffit

Profile:
"youcandooooeeettt!!"
Old 08-01-2005, 02:12 AM   #73
Karl Steadman

Profile:
"All night loooooooooooong....."
Old 08-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #74
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Veronica - Do you allow complete recovery before each send? One of the reasons I do the hypoxic swims is because I kayak and it is very handy to be able hang out underwater for extended periods without freaking out and exiting the boat. I have spent a fair amount of time underwater which gives rise to feelings of panic, alarm and face/helmet strikes to submerged rocks. Knowing that I'm not going to pass out from the discomfort of holding my breath for extended periods gives me time to rearrange the river bed with my face a bit before I remember to keep my head down and get a decent roll. The mental aspect of gutting out that last few meters before you get to the wall is a big part of what the hypoxic swims develop.

Rather than resting for a given period of time, select a number of lengths and time how long it takes you to complete that number. I do 20 lengths and felt pretty good about myself for doing it in something under 12 minutes until Eric and Matt torched off 9 somethings. Freaks. Anyway, keep score and whittle down your total time by resting less between sends.

You'll go a bit faster if you swim with your hands extended out in front of you. Breathe out very sharply and try to get rid of as much C02 as possible between swims. If you get the sparklies and start seeing fireflies as your vision narrows SURFACE IMMEDIATELY as you are about to have a shallow water blackout. Swim with someone or make someone aware of what you are doing...just in case. Be careful to no pressurize your lungs too hard as it can hasten unconsciousness.

Hmmm...why are we doing this again?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:41 PM   #75
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Thanks Eugene,

No I didn't completely recover between each lap. But I know I have plenty of room for improvement. I didn't want to push too hard as it's been a long time since I've done any breath-holding swims. I'm actually suprised that I was able to do them still.

And yep, I do it with arms streamlined in front and take a strong pull near the end to get me there quicker and surface as I exhale sharply.

Hmmm...why are we doing this again?

Because I actually never finished it the first time. :wink:
Old 08-02-2005, 09:27 AM   #76
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Veronica - perhaps you misunderstood my comment. I finished my post with a discussion about the high potential for unconsciousness especially if you pressurize your lungs. I talked about the discomfort you have to push through as well and thus asked at the end "Hmmm...why are we doing this again?" Wondering aloud why we put ourselves through such torture.

It sounded from your return as if you thought I was wondering if you hadn't paid attention to the posts the first time through. That you can hold weight over your head in a full squat gives me nothing but respect for you and I did not for a moment make that comment in a pejoritive sense.

I will repeat myself as often as someone asks for the two or three pieces of information I know about and will never snipe at anybody for asking a question. So don't go getting your panties all in a knot for gosh sakes.

The nerve of some people.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:39 PM   #77
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Ahh, yes I've been following this thread but just haven't gotten my butt back in the pool to try it again. And don't worry I'm not getting my panties in a not. :wink: I'll save that for a different type of exercise. I do appreciate you reiterating advise and caution.

BTW, I did attempt this this morning, before I was fully awake and without really warming up. Did 25-25yd's in 20min. Just call me Pokey little Turtle.:blush:
Old 08-04-2005, 06:35 PM   #78
Brad Smith

Profile:
I'm just glad that y'all are continuing the conversation. I'm not doing my underwater laps consecutively but rather in between "sets" of laps. I'll 6-8 laps and then a lap underwater. *MY* goal is to be able to increase my underwater time so that I can stay down longer than my 25 y/o son when we go free diving (as mentioned previously). HA!!!:proud: