CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-17-2005, 03:56 PM   #1
Richard Owen

Profile:

If you can perform the following workout in under 5 minutes then you are in better shape than several Professional MMA fighters that are currently at national (pay-per-view) level.

The workout:
5 cycles: 10 power cleans 135lbs + 15 pushups

Thats a total of 50 power cleans and 75 pushups in under 5 minutes.

I train at a serious MMA Academy that is home to several top ranked Pro's. IF you know MMA at all, then you'd know at least one or two of these names.
Having given several of our Pro's this workout and none of them able to beat 5 minutes, I would love to see who on this board can beat the magic number. This simple challenge has dogged some serious bad-asses.
Please post and let me know your times. I've told our Pros that I believe there are folks on this board (just regular folks) who can beat 5 minutes. They don't believe me and I think a serious "Crossfit Conversion Opportunity" is in the air.

Appologies to all for not being able to show them myself, but I'm working on it.

The best time I have on record from our gym is 5:50.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I'll give it a shot sometime during the week. But just to make sure I don't "cheat"; I normally do repitition power cleans from the hang, do you want from the floor or anything goes?
Old 05-17-2005, 06:07 PM   #3
Richard Owen

Profile:

Thanks for the clarification!

Each power clean is full from the floor. I should also mention that these guys don't have bumper plates and so their times are perhaps a bit hindered by the fact that they spend extra energy in controlling the deceleration of the bar just before it touches the floor. The gym owner would have a fit if they were "dropping" those steel plates. I suppose bumper plates would be an advantage (momentum from the bounce), but I'd ask that you try not to bounce bumper plates - so we can get a true read on our Pro's vs. the Cross-Fitters.

Also the pushups are very strict and full. These guys couldn't cheat at all because several of us all watched the rounds.

I'm excited to see where average Cross-Fitters benchmark against Pro athletes.
Thanks for taking this challenge. I'll look for your time later this week.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
Michael Street

Profile:
Nice WO Richard. Do you guys have a baseline for Grace? She may work better for a power standard between the 2 groups.

Some archived documentation exists currently as well which may help you with your comparisons.

Solid work. Looks pretty functional, varied and intense!

Grace -
http://www.mitymous.net/weights/xfitfaq.htm#8

Web archived documentation on #_grace
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000453.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000589.html
Old 05-18-2005, 12:41 AM   #5
Jay Ashman

Profile:
I'm going to try it tomorrow... I'll have someone time me. This ought to be brutal.... :-)
Old 05-18-2005, 09:23 AM   #6
Kevin Scott

Profile:
I'm trying to get into mma fighting. I'm going down to arizona combat sports this summer to train in some of their classes and see if i can't get into some mma matches. I'll try this workout today or tomorrow and post my times.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:01 AM   #7
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
I REALLY need to work on muscle-ups, but I couldn't resist this one. Paced myself at one round/minute. With the exception of the last round I was able to get 20-30 seconds rest between each one. Controlled descents with the bar and Gagliardi standard push-ups, going chest to deck. Snuck in under the buzzer at 4:55.

Where's Rutman? I know he'd blow me away on my push-up ability and he would match, if not exceed, my clean rate.

Ryan
Old 05-18-2005, 10:20 AM   #8
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I was just thinking you and Rutman would smoke this one Ryan. Great work!
Old 05-18-2005, 10:34 AM   #9
Richard Owen

Profile:

YES! I knew it!

RYAN - that is an excellent time.
The very first time posted by a CrossFitter breaks the 5-minute barrier. SHOCKING!

It's also the best time I've heard of so far.

I believe anyone who can break the 5 minute barrier on this one is a bad ***.
One thing for sure... I know some MMA bad boys who have some "splainin" to do. Can't wait to get back to the gym. I suspect a few are ghost watching this thread. :-)

As for me personally, I'm sad to say I'm around 7:00 minutes. Hate to admit that after your post of 4:55, but I'll get better. And I've watched some really strong/hard people hit the wall in their 5th cycle and turn a 5 minute time into a 6 or 7 minute time.

Ryan - how old are you and what do you weigh?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:52 AM   #10
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
We are going to give this one a try tonight.

Ryan- You have the heat on high. 1:00 per round is solid. Nice work.

RUTMAN