CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-21-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
Aaron Wilson

Profile:
I follow a reasonably strict paleo diet. On the whole I eat well. I follow the WOD as much as I can manage.

Would protein powder and/or creatine help me? I am small and would be happy to put on weight(currently weigh 140 lbs @ 5'6") my body fat is reasonably low (can only just see my abs)

Obviously the protein powder provides more protein in your diet , but what impact does the extra protein or taking creatine have? And can you take them together?

Thanks for you help ?
Old 03-21-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Aaron,

To be honest, the problem is actually very simple - you're not eating enough! If you're looking to add some size you need to increase the quantity of food you consume. What does a day of eating look like for you? Will the protein powder or creatine help? Maybe a bit, but you'll just be spinning your wheels until you get your nutrition in order.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
Aaron Wilson

Profile:
You might be right, although I feel like i'm eating alot.

This is my day

Breakfast
1/2 cup of oats mixed with one mashed banana , crushed nuts (almonds,walnuts, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds & pumkin seeds) and mixed berries

Lunch
Salad (red & green capsicum, mushrooms, spinach leaves, cucumber, lettuce & carrot) with seed mixture olive oil & blasamic vinegar. Mixed with either chicken breast or tuna or salmon.

dinner
Meat/chicken with steamed vegetbales with olive oil

snack on around 4 peices of fruit a day & water.

I know you dont know portions but i seem to be eating fair bit, are you saying I would get the same benefit as protein powder/creatine by just eating more or there is no realy benefit to protein powder/creatine?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:22 AM   #4
Nikki Young

Profile:
Hey Aaron. Jonathon is right, you need to eat more if you want to gain more muscle mass and put on more weight.

At the moment you're only really eating 3 meals a day, if you want to gain size i would reccomend eating around 5-6 meals a day. This may seem a lot, especially if at the moment 3 meals is keeping you full, but the meals don't have to be massive, and you can always have a meal replacement drink/protein shake for in-between meals.

Protein powder won't ALONE help you gain muscle mass. What i mean is, if you take protein powder and still eat how you're eating, you aren't going to suddenly get an increase in lean body mass (LBM). However, protein powders are good for having post workout and like i mentioned above, in times seperating meals. But to gain LBM you need to consume more calories, so you need to eat more!

And on the topic of protein, i would reccomend trying to get a protein source into your breakfast meals. If you do get a protein powder you can mix some into your oats.

I'm not an expert on creatine. But the majority of people find they do gain weight when taking creatine. Considering they are taking PROPER creatine, which is creapure (check for it on the lables, if it doesn't say it, it's not worth the money). The weight that people experiance however is water weight, and as soon as they stop taking creatine the water exits the body and they lose anything they have gained from taking it.

A few people take creatine on this forum, so they might be able to chime in a bit more about it. Could also help you with performance, if thats something you're after, increased performance = increased strength/training times = increase muscle mass.

I would check out John Berardi's massive eating articles. Even if you don't follow this pattern of eating, it's good nutritional info which will help you on your way to gaining LBM.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...ating_rl_1.htm
Old 03-22-2006, 05:53 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I vote for your not eating enough. Creatine is creatine, as long as your not buying it at a gas station. The weight gain associated with Creatine is initially water weight. Skip the protein powder and creatine for now and concentrate on eating 5 meals a day.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:01 AM   #6
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
The reason you weigh what you weigh is because your appetite is dictating when and how much you eat. So while it may "feel" like you are eating a lot, you aren't. I'd guestimate your calories around 2k - practically nothing for someone looking to gain. Plug your foods into www.fitday.com and post the numbers. If you aren't gaining, increase overall calories by 10-15%. You should be getting 140+ grams of protein and 70+ grams of fat. The rest of your calories can be whatever combination of carbs/fat/protein keeps you happy, but a the ratios recommended by most crossfitters works well.

Would protein powder help? Certainly. It's an inexpensive and convenient source of quality protein. Is it any different than steak or chicken? Nope. It's just protein.

Creatine works for some, but not everyone. And not everyone experiences the water retention/weight gain that was mentioned by Nikki. The primary use is to help replenish ATP which helps your strength/power during exercise, which can lead to long term strength/size gains. Again, it's not a magic powder and probably won't turn you into a 200lbs monster.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-22-2006, 09:22 AM   #7
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Aaron,

Great advice all around - heed it and you will grow! More meals + more food = more muscle growth. Anthony is spot on regarding your calories and protein/fat. Looking at your diet, I'd assume that you're probably only get around 80-90 grams of complete protein per day.

Try switching to 4 meals a day with 35-40 grams of protein per meal. At first this may seem like a lot of food to consume but you'll fall into the groove pretty fast. I've been doing 3-4 meals per day with around 40-50 grams of protein per meal (along with plenty of good fats, fruits, and veggies), and have been hovering around 160 (without much effort) with single digit bodyfat (5'6).

If the protein powder will help you to get the added protein that you need, and don't feel up to eating from whole food, then by all means incorporate it. Just realize that there's nothing magical or special about it, it's just damn convenient. As for the creatine, I'd save it for getting through a plateau.

Keep us posted!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #8
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Anthony-

Thanks for the Fitday link. Nifty little site.

Aaron-

I'm working on gaining weight as well. I've put on 3 pounds (appears to be muscle) in the last month. You have to eat A TON. I'm consuming 3700 calories a day, 4200 if you count my post workout shake (which I plan to phase out once I deplete the rest of my supplements). I spread it out over 4 meals, and after 3 of them I feel I'm going to burst (3 six block meals, 1 four block meal). I also make an effort to compress my eating to as small of a window as possible to glean as many benefits as possible from pseudo-intermittent fasting. Currently it is 10 hours, but over the summer I'll try to get it down to 8.

I'm 6'4", 175 right now. If you want to check out what I eat to reach 3700 calories, check March 22nd in my journal http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...wner=forbis316
Old 03-22-2006, 12:27 PM   #9
David Stegman

Profile:
Chris we are right at the exact same size.

I'd like to get to about the 180 range but having a hard time putting on weight since I've been on the Zone and doing crossfit along with my BJJ training.

Last time I weighed I was right at 176lbs.

However, I never thought I'd look as good as I do at this weight. People find it hard to believe I only weigh 176lbs. I don't feel "skinny" but the scales say that I am! LOL
Old 03-22-2006, 12:39 PM   #10
jacob lee overy

Profile:  
Hey guys and gals,
I must say that there is a lot of knowledge here and I have learned alot.

One other thing to take into consideration is that there are three levels of energy burn in the body, often refered to as ATP. Your first level is the quick energy spurts you get from the Phospho-creatine produced in the body, Your second level is Glycogen, where the body is turning to fats and sugars for energy, this occurs after the first stage is exhausted, and the third stage is your Oxidative stage, this where your body goes to the oxygen you consume for energy after the first two have been exhausted and this is also where stamina and endurance are built. So, as you go along and do what everyone here has suggested you will start being able to reach your third stage of energy burn, you will see improvements in your strength, endurance and stamina.
Have a Blast, this is an Awesome program.