CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Andrew Joseph

Profile:
How often do you test your 1RM?

Never? Once every X months? At the end of a strength cycle? Whenever you're having a good day at the gym?

As random as the list above seems, I've used each approach at different times over the years.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: How often do you test your 1RM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Joseph View Post
Never? Once every X months? At the end of a strength cycle? Whenever you're having a good day at the gym?
I don't lock myself into any particular frequency, but generally I retest my 1RM whenever I feel that my 3x5 and/or 5x3 (the schemes that our box uses most) have increased enough that I feel my 1RM may have also increased. When I get to that point *and* hit an "I feel good today" day, I'll retest.

Completely unscientific method though.

- Mark
Old 06-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Steven Wingo

Profile:

The coach who programs at my home box usually has us work up to and test a 1 rep max or maybe a 2 rep max at least once a week. It is typically part of the workout and we work up to the weight, as a heavy day for that exercise. The exercises vary, however, all the time so that we are not just doing that with the base lifts. We do it with a variety of lifts: squat, front squat, overhead squat, the press, push press, and push jerk, split jerk, clean, hang clean, deadlift, snatch, hang snatch, high hang snatch, and so on. So we don't repeat the same lifts over and over week after week, but hit different lifts each week. Yesterday we worked to 1 rep max on the push jerk (no splitting allowed).

Our coach who programs for our box is partial to the Outlaw workouts, which I believe includes working to max lifts quite frequently. He just scales down the workload each day so that it is appropriate for "regular" folks working out and not designed for those hoping to quality for the regionals or games.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

You can test maxes on the Snatch and C&J pretty often.
You can't test maxes on the power/slow lifts (squat and DL) as often - they're too taxing.
I pretty much only test 1rm of the powerlifts in competition once or twice per year.
For my gym, I have members test Snatch and C&J about every 2-3 weeks. For the powerlifts, it is closer to every 12-16 weeks.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Daily 1rm BS 2x/week, FS 1x/week. This is rarely a PR or true 1rm because I've Snatched or CJ prior. Then I do back off sets for volume.

Floor Sn and CJ 1rm is 1x/week, seperately as I'm not doing a weekly max Sn/CJ day currently. Lifts from the high hang or knee for 2 or 3 reps depending are worked up till I fail a set. I don't wave it as I find I am generally done after this even if I start basically over. If anything, work pulls afterwards.

Rack and Neck Jerk are worked once a week up to a max double.

I like this, but each session is just under 2 hours to 2 1/2 if not 3 hours (on the last day to tack on the weekly Bull**** assistance).
Old 06-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Andrew Joseph

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Daily 1rm BS 2x/week, FS 1x/week. This is rarely a PR or true 1rm because I've Snatched or CJ prior. Then I do back off sets for volume.

Floor Sn and CJ 1rm is 1x/week, seperately as I'm not doing a weekly max Sn/CJ day currently.
Are you maxing that often because you want the feedback/data of knowing precisely what your 1RM is at any time and how it is changing? Or are you doing this just because it is a weigh of using the heaviest weights possible and you feel that increases your strength quicker?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Warm up daily 1rm FS/BS after Snatching or CleanJerking, then volume.

Best of both worlds. As I said, sometimes I PR, sometimes I hit 90% and some days maybe just 80-85%.

I use that daily 1rm to calculate the weights of my volume sets. So instead of using 90% or 85/80% of my 1rm, I use the daily 1rm.

So let's say I work up to a daily 1rm of a 145kg/315 FS. I would then take 10% off and do 3-5 sets of 3 reps (which are actually 92 or 93% of 1rm but I take a few % so I can actually get through the sets because I've worked the lifts then a daily 1rm).

I prefer this a bit to just warming up and doing sets across. Some days I just don't have it in me to do 5's at 85% of my 1rm.

Sometimes I might only hit 70-80% of my 1rm for various reasons so it's a way to not try and kill myself during work sets.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:36 AM   #8
Pearse Shields

Profile:

When I feel up to it. Alternatively, when I feel like I haven't for a while. I usually go for doubles and triples, or a few sets of sub maximal singles.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
William Garrett

Profile:

Once every 2-3 months for me. Using Wendler I PR every single day I lift whether its 2.5lbs or 1 rep more than the last months cycle. I havent missed a lift or rep in 5 months that I was "supposed" to get. I dont get caught up 1RM's unless I have a reason to test it.

The weight I squatted 3 reps in late April/early May I can squat 6 now. My current 1RM's are 2.5 months ago. 1RM's are tricky, you have good day's, and bad. I gauge my gains in the 3-5 rep range, not 1RM personally.
M/35/5'10@190lbs/L1 -- Squat 420, FS 325, DL 520, Press 215, Bench 315, 5k Row 19:30

Last edited by William Garrett : 07-01-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Cool conversation. I used to be very much against maxing out too frequently. What I mean by maxing out is a true 1 rep max after you've spent years training a particular lift. i.e.: A powerlifter would not hit their competition max very frequently.

As far as hitting maximal weights I'd do it all the time. I try to hit a max repetition set on a given exercise at least once per week. The difference is doing a 5 rep max on something like a front squat as opposed to a 1 rep max on your competition stance back squat.

I'd say as you increase your training age (been lifting competitively for longer and longer) I'd probably max out less frequently.

A mistake I commonly see if people frequently trying to max out on a lift when their technique is falling apart. I made a big arguement against that in an article here: WFS

That's a great way to learn how to lift poorly and get hurt!