CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Phillip Micah Gilmore

Profile:
fractured

hey guys,

about two years ago I fractured my upper fiba near the knee and tore ligaments in my ankle. Recently I have felt a slight discomfort around the area I fractured. Any ideas why? and any suggestions to help this discomfort? I foam roll (w/ pvc pipe) and do dynamic warmups and make sure to stretch good after wods.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
William Garrett

Profile:
Re: fractured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Micah Gilmore View Post
hey guys,

about two years ago I fractured my upper fiba near the knee and tore ligaments in my ankle. Recently I have felt a slight discomfort around the area I fractured. Any ideas why? and any suggestions to help this discomfort? I foam roll (w/ pvc pipe) and do dynamic warmups and make sure to stretch good after wods.
Where is the discomfort? Is it before or after your workout, during? Is it setoff by any specific motion? Does it swell?

I have broke my right fibula twice, one in 2009 at the head by the knee, and 7 months ago 6" above my ankle so I know where you coming from.

The one from 2009 will give me some "discomfort" from time to time, but not pain. The one from 7 months ago I can still feel since I had some surrounding damage to tissue.

I think pain from broken bones are inevitable, even after a while. I am a big fan of icing, and compression. I have a neoprene calf/ankle sleeve I wear from time to time on my most recent injury. I also like the McDavid cloth mnimal compression sleeves for knee/calves as well.
M/35/5'10@190lbs/L1 -- Squat 420, FS 325, DL 520, Press 215, Bench 315, 5k Row 19:30

Last edited by William Garrett : 04-03-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Phillip Micah Gilmore

Profile:

the discomfort is almost in the exact spot I fractured my fibula. It is very random. I have had no discomfort for months until now. i think it was caused by me cutting quickly on it while playing tag with some kids at church. just not really done that much since my fracture. Thanks for the suggestion of wearing a sleeve i think i'm gunna go buy one and try it out.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
William Garrett

Profile:

I am having the same issue right now a while after my injury, I was pain free for a couple months.

Just remember that the fibula is not load bearing bone. It is however a major stabilizer in the lateral region. So any twisting, foot planting, cutting etc will surely flare it up.

I did find that even-though the neoprene cuff provided minimal bracing, the compression was a huge help.
M/35/5'10@190lbs/L1 -- Squat 420, FS 325, DL 520, Press 215, Bench 315, 5k Row 19:30