CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:
right shoulder problems

I've been struggling with right shoulder pain for the last 6 months. Of course is has gradually gotten worse and now I can't really do much at all overhead.

I'm looking for some advice on what I should do or if anyone has had similar issues. I was working on my bar muscle ups when it really started giving me problems. Pressing overhead or push ups really gives me a problem. I've gone from 90+ push ups to 20 is pretty difficult.

The pain is beneath the acromion process and by the bicepital groove of my right shoulder

I've been looked at by a college student with sports medicine and she had told me that I have all AROM within normal limits but reproduces pain mainly at the end ranges. She had tested my rotator cuff muscles such as biceps, supraspinatus, and for a SLAP tear. I tested positive for mainly supraspinatus. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Daniel Turgeon

Profile:
Re: right shoulder problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S. Jensen View Post
I've been struggling with right shoulder pain for the last 6 months. Of course is has gradually gotten worse and now I can't really do much at all overhead.

I'm looking for some advice on what I should do or if anyone has had similar issues. I was working on my bar muscle ups when it really started giving me problems. Pressing overhead or push ups really gives me a problem. I've gone from 90+ push ups to 20 is pretty difficult.

The pain is beneath the acromion process and by the bicepital groove of my right shoulder

I've been looked at by a college student with sports medicine and she had told me that I have all AROM within normal limits but reproduces pain mainly at the end ranges. She had tested my rotator cuff muscles such as biceps, supraspinatus, and for a SLAP tear. I tested positive for mainly supraspinatus. Thanks for your help.
had the same problem , try to find a therapist that does ART ( artive release therapy ) , got better after 2 visit , and was healed after the 4th apointment !

-Dan
Old 03-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:

This should probably be in another section?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:

Would it be possible to get this moved to the correct section?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Brian Lelli

Profile:

I am working myself out of (what sounds to be) the same situation.

What did it for me was the following:

Only doing what didn't hurt in the gym (squat, deadlift, floor press & accessory lifts)
Eating to reduce inflammation
Going to deep tissue once every other week for sub scap/trap/neck work
MWOD stuff like rolling on a LAX ball and finding the pain points, then holding there till it released. Try adding a KB in that hand overhead for more pressure.

Took me about 2-3mo of it and I'm finally getting better. At about 95%.

Rarely do I post, so if you want more/detailed info shoot me a PM!

Good luck dude, be smart. It's a huge PITA but it's something that needs to be fixed; at least mine was.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Brent Latimer

Profile:

Going through a similar issue... my chiro got me pointed in the right direction or at least I've found relief.

The tendon going over the acromion process is tight in my right shoulder. When I go over head (tighten this tendon) and rotate internally (ie lowering from a OHS) I experienced sharp rotator cuff pain.

By smashing the base of the tendon below the trap (found some NASTY trigger points in there) I felt immediate relief. Location is just below the trap but above the bony protusion.

Apologies for my lack of terminology.... I'm an engineer not a kines.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S. Jensen View Post

Tested positive for what? A weakness? Tender touch?
Did you have pain when she palpated the biceps tendon, in the groove?