CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 02-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
John C Blattner

Profile:
Knee issue

I had total knee replacement (right knee) eight weeks ago. Recovery has gone well in most respects but I've had a continuing issue that so far has puzzled both my surgeon and my physical therapists.

Simply put: my surgical knee hurts when I walk - specifically, anterior pain when I push off the foot and first bring the leg forward. I end up dragging it and walking stiff-legged.

Enough other post-op aches & pains have receded by now that I can pretty nearly pinpoint it as tightness or maybe inflammation just lateral of the patella and down into the fibular head. I've studied several dozen drawings of knee anatomy and don't find any particular "thing" that seems to be right in the spot that is troublesome. The tightness/pain seems a bit lateral of the patellar tendon, but not far enough to the outside to be the lateral collateral ligament (though there is a little "crunching" in the fibular head). The IT band looks like a possible candidate, and maybe the popliteal tendon - I definitely have had an issue with the popliteus though mainly posterior - but maybe the popliteal tendon extends anteriorly enough to be felt there as well?

There doesn't seem to be any "mechanical" problem - the knee bends just find under load (I've reached 110+ degrees flexion) and I can squat, lunge, walk up stairs, etc, just fine (still with some tenderness and weakness, of course). It's just the first few degrees of "unflexing" when striding forward that are troublesome (and walking downstairs is still extremely painful esp at fibular head).

Any thoughts?

Last edited by John C Blattner : 02-01-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:
Re: Knee issue

john, my knee hurt 8 months after I had knee surgery, so dont worry at the 8 weeks mark. it takes time, a lot of time. its been 10 months for me and I am finally playing basketball and crossfitting regularly again.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Eric Konieczny

Profile:

John,

I know a little about Knee replacements and Crossfit. I have been a Surgical sales rep for knees/ hips and other orthopedic implants for a few years.

Sounds like a possibility of Patella tendonitis / and or Tracking issue?

8 weeks is still very normal to have pain . it has been another month since original post. any new developments?
Old 03-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
John C Blattner

Profile:

Thanks for the responses. Prior to the replacement, my knee was deformed such that the tibia was externally rotated and full extension was impossible, resulting in "flexion contracture" of the muscles and other soft tissue. The thinking now is that the soft tissue is still basically conformed to the old knee, and thus trying to pull the joint out of alignment. So we are working on stretching/loosening/softening the quads, IT band, etc. I guess it just takes time for the soft tissue to conform itself to the new knee. Progress is "slow but steady -- but slow."