CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 12-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #21
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: A Must Read - 70s Big Style!

It was a fairly good article. I think Justin hewed pretty close to a balanced look at CF. I agree with many of his conclusions, and understand how he came to many others.

I think the fact that this article came out right around the time FIT came out is interesting. I'd buy his book though.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #22
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Thompson View Post
True enough but he did have the chance a while back to "reword" himself but instead he stuck with it
Who knows? And for what it's worth, look at this site's Anthony Bainbridge, he is an active CFer and just pulled 640 lbs in a meet in the 165 lbs class. I knew Anthony way before he ever tried CrossFit and I can tell you his deadlift has gone up a lot since he has been practicing it. Not saying that is proof of anything, but an interesting fact.

In the end, the idea is hardly something to be concerned about in my book. If you look at the totality of CrossFit and what Mr. Glassman has generated that is one very small thing. Why worry about it?

Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #23
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
It was a fairly good article. I think Justin hewed pretty close to a balanced look at CF. I agree with many of his conclusions, and understand how he came to many others.

I think the fact that this article came out right around the time FIT came out is interesting. I'd buy his book though.
The author of that article? Why would you buy a book from him?

Old 12-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #24
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post

Fit came out about 6 months ago, the article came out this past week.

Look, I know it's not by using conjugate method, but the guy has motivated lots of people to get stronger. He pushes every reader he has to compete at something, anything. Just because he writes a blog post on a very trending topic in the area of things he writes about doesn't mean he's trying to make a dime off it.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #25
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Who knows? And for what it's worth, look at this site's Anthony Bainbridge, he is an active CFer and just pulled 640 lbs in a meet in the 165 lbs class. I knew Anthony way before he ever tried CrossFit and I can tell you his deadlift has gone up a lot since he has been practicing it. Not saying that is proof of anything, but an interesting fact.

In the end, the idea is hardly something to be concerned about in my book. If you look at the totality of CrossFit and what Mr. Glassman has generated that is one very small thing. Why worry about it?

He runs sheiko and 531 at various points while squatting every day.

Where's the old chris? ;D. I miss your polarizing posts calling everyone out to get stronger

Old 12-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #26
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
The author of that article? Why would you buy a book from him?
because he's good at what he does (coaching/programming). and has a 300 lb press

Old 12-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #27
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Dartt View Post
because he's good at what he does (coaching/programming). and has a 300 lb press

He raised $$$ for cancer and ended up cleaning 300lbs 31 times. After that he moved it down to 255, and finally 235 I think.

Squat clean by the way, or olympic cleans, not power cleans.

Last edited by Andrew Bell : 12-11-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #28
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:

Interesting, I guess. But look at Anthony's log. He definitely isn't doing mainsite.
And why give so much attention to this one thing he said? Because Glassman's outlandish claim (if you don't mind my saying) about pulling 750lb and absolute resistance to changing/rewording what he has said kind of characterizes his public image. It is, from what I have seen/heard of him, more the trend than the exception for him to say and act that way.
Also, being the spokesman/founder of Crossfit, I think Glassman would be wise to do whatever he personally can to shed (at least somewhat) the image of "overly-zealous to the point of delusion and foolishness" that outsiders often see in the Crossfit crowd. To be honest, I think he kind of hurts the image of Crossfit.
I must admit though: the way business is seemingly booming for Crossfit right now, my statement doesn't really sit well... perhaps more people like his personality than I am guessing, in which case, keep on keeping on. But I'm not a big fan of the guy.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #29
Brett Dartt

Profile:

i dont think most people joining affiliates now are really exposed to glassman. i mean they are just seeing and hearing crossfit everywhere and just hit up an affiliate

Old 12-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #30
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wheeler View Post
He runs sheiko and 531 at various points while squatting every day.

Where's the old chris? ;D. I miss your polarizing posts calling everyone out to get stronger
Right, but be also does CF. If you think about it, CF incorporates strength training. Does HQ not offer Olympic and powerlifting certs?