CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-02-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
Rohit Iyer

Profile:
Complete newbie

Hey guys, i found this site by googl searching best workouts, or something similar. Right now when i workout i go to the gym 5 days a week (M-F) and when i work out i usually do one or two body parts when doing strength training (like say i'll do back and shoulders one day, then bi's and tri's the next, and so on) Then after the strength comes the 45 min run on the eliptical machine which i aim on burning 500-550 calories. Then i finish up w 100 crunches (a set of 50, then 30, then 20) and then a 3 sets of 20 of leg ups (where i lie down w/ my knees bent as if i were sitting in a chair and then bring them to my chin using my lower abs) and some oblique stuff usually if i'm feeling up to it.

But now I want to do something better. I guess i feel that these workout sessions arn't as intense as i'd like it to be. So I really am asking where to start i guess. I know I have to eat right, and i've already put up a thread about that in the nutrition area, but I wanna start this CrossFit stuff. Do i have to go to a specific CrossFit certified gym or something?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Re: Complete newbie

Welcome. Buckle in and enjoy the ride - it's like nothing you've experienced before. But where to start?

Start by reading the Faq a bunch of times, and then the link called "Start Here." Both are in the list of options in the navigation menu on the top left of the main page.

Seriously. Read the Faq.

The Faq will answer most of the questions most of us have when starting. Like where to find resources. What substitutions to do for exercizes when you don't have equipment. How to scale the workouts. Etc. etc. It's quite simply among the best faqs on the web, regardless of the discipline ... and should be required reading for CrossFitters. After a month's time reading this section of the message board, you'll understand why many say this.

No, you don't need to use a CrossFit gym - though if there's one near to you it would be an excellent option. The instruction and support in CrossFit affiliates is outstanding. But lots of us work out in our own home gyms, or in commercial ones we haven't been thrown out of yet... Read the CrossFit Journal article on The Garage Gym - it's one of the free ones.

Expect to get your butt kicked by the Workout of the Day (WOD). No matter what you've done before, one WOD or another will reveal glaring weaknesses that make you feel like a little girl. Most of us feel that way some days - except maybe for the Crossfit monsters. Your performance on timed workouts etc. will get tuned up even within the first 6 weeks - hang in there till a WOD repeats; you'll be surprised comparing your first and second cracks at one. So make sure you do post your performance on the daily comments page - it's invaluable on a bunch of levels.

Your capacity to do what now feels like silly numbers of repetitions on dips, pullups etc. will also improve - especially if you make yourself do the CrossFit Warm Up (see the faq) each day. Just decide one day to finish the apparently ridiculous number of reps Coach prescribed, however long it takes. It will happen, if that's what you decide. You'll discover that CrossFit is not just about physical training, but developing a will - and you won't be able to let yourself off the hook anymore. That's a skill for real life, as well as for workouts.

Dive into the message board, using the search function liberally. Most topics any of us can dream up have been addressed before by some pretty outstanding talent. The minimal effort is well worth it. There are some frighteningly generous and knowledgeable people here; it's worth not irritating them.

Finally, spend some quality time watching the exercise demonstrations and the excerpts from teaching at certs and such in the "exercises and demos" section. Some outstanding instruction and coaching tips, and inspiring athletic performances.

Oh, and yes. Doing just the WOD is enough, if you go hard enough. Even if it seems way too short to be effective. Trust me.

If you do attack the WODs with real fervor, be prepared in a month or so to start the obligatory "Cripes, I'm amazed" thread in the Testimonials section. This stuff is as close to magic as it gets, so long as you commit yourself and do it, hard. Bloody good thing the WODs and instruction here are free, 'cause you (and I) couldn't afford to pay what they're worth.

Two or three months from now, it's your turn to write this note.

Best,

t.

Last edited by Tom Fetter : 10-02-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Michael Manning

Profile:

Tom, Well Said!
Old 10-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Rohit:

Congratulations on discovering elite fitness! Why don't you drop by the free Saturday work-outs at Crossfit Cleveland under the Hilliard Bridge in the Metro parks? Go to www.crossfitcleveland for directions. It's a great group and the Saturday's are FREE.

Welcome aboard. Fasten your seat belt!
Old 10-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
Matt Fargen

Profile:

Tom thanks for the post, obviously many folks are encouraged by your remarks seeing this is a public forum. Rohit from my perspective you at least 3/4 of the way there and if you feel your workouts lack intensity I'm just going to have to man up and try harder myself. Those seem super intense to me.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
Rohit Iyer

Profile:

thanks for all the responses...

@ Matt... The running and abs are a good workout, but the one to two body part weight training seems a little less intense, probably because of he amount of time i have between each set.

sorry about the newbie post, i should've checked the faq's first but i didn't see them

once again thank you all, and darrell, thank you for the crossfit cleveland site. i'll have to check that out
Old 10-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Tom;

Huge, informative post. Please save this baby, post when needed.