CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Brandon Michael Enos

Profile:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Boost-your-breathing-power-with-the-Ultrabreathe_W0QQitemZ30 0102590225QQihZ020QQcategoryZ36281QQrdZ1QQcmdZView Item

Oppinions? I've heard of doing your workouts with a mouthpiece in, but never seen this.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
Don King

Profile:
Uhhhhhhh....NO. I have asthma and don't need any more "Resistance", thank you. Never heard of this kind of device either.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
Richard Bird

Profile:
The idea is to reduce oxygen availability to your body, which would simulate an extremely high level of aerobic activity. Oxygen deficiency does a body good - well, right up to the point where you black out just before your head explodes. This little gizmo is pretty lame though. It is a whole lot less expensive than altitude simulation chambers and tents - which is what hard core moutain climbers use to try and duplicate oxygen deficient environments...like at the top of Everest..Don't think I'm going to see a picture of anyone doing a Burpee on the summit of Everest anytime soon....
Old 04-26-2007, 05:28 AM   #4
Richard Bird

Profile:
ummmm...stimulate, not simulate...
Old 04-26-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
Rory Gibson

Profile:
Maybe a little more research might be in order before flaming.

POWERbreathe make a very similar device, which is actively in use by the England Rugby squad. The company also sponsors UK Athletics.

There's some sensible science here, and anecdotal evidence of effectiveness.... just because it's different doesn't make it wrong. Like CrossFit.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
Rene Renteria

Profile:
I read somewhere some SEALs use it to train or that it was recommended as training prior to BUD/S. Here's a product with similar ones on the page. Check out the "customers also bought":

http://www.amazon.com/Powerlung-Spor.../dp/B000E9TPBM

(w/f s)

Best,
Rene'
Old 04-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Brandon
When you post links, state what it's about and state if it is a work/family safe link or not.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
Richard Bird

Profile:
Wasn't a flame, mate. Hypoxic training is a tested and effective method of increasing your aerobic abilities, particularly under stress.

Now, I'm all for CrossFit - I'm a true believer. And, I've tried HIT and other methods over the years. I don't ding any of them, as I believe that certain exercise routines are more effective for some people due to their physiological characteristics or genetics. If people ding CrossFit - it's generally for a lack of knowledge on their part.

This, however, is a completely different topic. Hypoxic training with this device could be as easily accomplished with a boxing mouthpiece - seriously. And, that would be without the awkwardness of the protruding plastic stem. It's simply a matter, with this devices, of restricting airflow. True hypoxic training is done via a reduction in oxygen content in the atmosphere that you are breathing - like on top of a mountain. Hypoxic systems that truly increase aerobic performance look like this: http://www.higherpeak.com/equipment.html (link is safe for work and family) They cost $1800 to to $2500 a piece.

All the great advice I've seen on this board leads me to believe that we are firmly committed to promoting safe and effective training. If the $2000 systems can only yield a 3% gain in athletic performance (see the website above) - I think we should be a bit incredulous about a $26.95 product that is " maximising your lung capacity whilst boosting pulmonary strength, durability and performance." Hypoxic training can kill, just like altitude can.....
Old 04-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
It's not just for the hypoxic training. I have a similar device and the flow restriction it provides does indeed reduce the how much oxygen you get but it also significantly increases the amount of effort it takes to both inhale and exhale strengthening the muscles you use when you breathe. It was a pretty cheap device and I have it in my patrol car to remind me to use it. But you can get the identical effect, though not a particularly consistent one, by breathing through your closed fist. Just make a fist and put lips inside the circle created by your thumb and index finger and blow as if you were warming your hand. You can adjust the airflow by adjusting how tightly you close your fist. As you breath in and out you can feel how much harder your lungs have to work to move the air. Weight training for the lung muscles on the cheap. The CrossFit way. Why buy the air flow restriction equipment when you have two of them with you all the time.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

A long time ago, I knew a guy who rigged up a couple of those "corrugated" tubes that divers use to use and the mouthpiece. He looped the pair of tubes over his head (they were about 12-18 inches long) and connected them with a rubber band in back. He would then do his aerobic workouts (stair stepper, bike, or even running) while breathing through this. Claimed that the tubes prevented complete oxygen exchange . . . each breath in would include some of the CO2 exhaled on the previous breath, and therefore less O2. Claimed he got cheap hypoxic training.

He was hell on a mountain climb, if I recall correctly ... very strong.