CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-07-2003, 05:47 PM   #1
Chris Haldeman

Profile:  
Would it be ok if I added an exercise such as the DL, bench press, KB snatch, PowerClean, Weighted Pull-ups, etc for a couple heavy sets of few reps before the WOD?

Hypothetically, before doing the WOD for today if I did a heavy triple in bench. My current 1RM is 275lb, haven't worked bench in awhile and I'd like to get my numbers back up....so say I did 3X3 in the bench with 225lbs before the WOD?

Or say before I do the next WOD say I put 70lbs on a weight belt and do 4X2 in weighted chins? Is this OK, or will it mess up or take away from the WOD? I know the WOD is hard enough as it is from just doing this 3 day layout, but I really enjoy heavy lifting for low reps. Or does crossfit allocate a time frame (week or so) in Coach's planning for heavy/low rep lifting?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-07-2003, 08:26 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Hey Chris-

Crossfit certianly does allocate time for max efforts but it is certianly not PL! Since you are familure with KB's you are likely familure with the odd strength carryover of doing higher rep ballistics. The WOD ecploits this feature frequently and often adds a nasty twist. For example a few workouts back the drill was to hang clean BW for fifteen reps and then imediately boxjump 25 reps on a 35" box! Five rounds of this were performed. It is nasty nasty stuff. Instead of weighted pullups i would really endeavor to get a muscle up on the gymnastics reings. this may sound like blasphemy...but it makes weighted chins seem silly...really.

I often will train a specific skill (snatch, handstands) after the WOD usually light and non fatiguing to work skill...or a grease the groove protocol throughout the day.

Sorry if this is long and rambling but if you really light it up on the WOD you are going to be worked...be conservative on what you add. Also the WOD will give you very good numbers...I am stronger now than when I was competing in PL...and I so much more dynamic and fit. Most people prior to crossfit with a 275 bench will have a bench around 115 when it is performed with a heart rate of 185. After crossfit these same people will have a 265 bench with a heart rate of 185 (think about the utility of this for grappling, fighting etc.)

I hope this helps!
Robb
Old 01-08-2003, 03:30 AM   #3
Chris Haldeman

Profile:  
Understood! Thanks Rob.