CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-25-2003, 09:50 PM   #1
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
I am no newby to fitness and am really impressed and intrigued by the "Crossfit" philosophy.

Having said that, I still believe that any "program" should be progressive, that is, the trainey needs to be making progress.

How does someone monitor progress with crossfit?

Also, I do understand (as I have thouroughly read about Crossfit) about all the different training exercises and components and their neccessities in a program. My question is, For example; when some one only rarely trains for a 5 mile run doing crossfit then how would they be good at a 5 mile run if they were tested for it?

Old 01-25-2003, 10:47 PM   #2
Scott Parker

Profile:
hey jeff-

i'm pretty much a newbie myself. not necessarily to fitness, but to crossfit. been following a paleo diet for about three months and the WOD for about a month solid. i wouldn't worry about being able to monitor progress. if you're true to yourself with your diet and just follow the WOD you'll start seeing results pretty quickly- at least i did! like i mentioned in a previous post i could maybe crank off 16 pull-ups in a row if i was lucky, now i cranking off 22 no problem! that's just one example. if you compete in any sort of sport or other physical activity you'll see results in your performance too. i'm an ice climber in the winter, and all i can say if i fell a lot stronger and confident, and don't nearly fatigue or "pump out" nearly as fast as i used to and am very easily climbing at a grade that was difficult for me last season. also, humping loads to the base of climbs is a heck of a lot easier now!

just thought it might be nice to hear some words from a fellow newbie who is all about crossfit. just stick with it for at least a month, and eat a good diet and you'll start seeing results! and ask these guys any questions you might have. everyone here rocks and has been extremely helpful (especially robert wolf! thanks again!)

take care and good luck!

scott
Old 01-26-2003, 10:19 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jeff- I followed a highly structured periodized system before...it worked but not as well as this does. Im a scientist and in a way that is an unsatisfactory answer but look back through the old posts. Try to find the stuff about Art Devany (his site is great as well) and Dan Johns site. Let us know how it goes!
Robb

ps-Scot...thanks for the kudos!
R
Old 01-27-2003, 11:54 AM   #4
Coach

Profile:

Jeff,

Our athletes learn effective, efficient, powerful, functional movement under super-challenging conditions. This dramatically improves physical capacity of which running 5 miles is but one measure.

Ironically, it is often those things that our crew does and practices least where we see the most dramatic improvements. Our regimen will quickly find and fix chinks in your armour.

Unless you are already super competent at 5 miles you will find your five mile time falling regularly while doing the WOD.

Try it and see! In fact, the more you test the better you'll get.

Coach