CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Esa Virtanen

Profile:
Sore thighs for a long time

Hello.

I'll just cut to the chase.

I've had sore thigh muscles for about 1 month or a bit more. I took a week off completely from squats and only worked on upper body mostly. After that rest week I was still sore but I thought I could continue with squats anyways but as of now I think it's really something wrong.

My normal training week consists of 3 back squat sessions (5x5, 8x3 or 2's, something along those lines going for one top set and some easier back off sets), once a week hamstring curl and once a week chinese bridge exercise(and some back/press/arm exercises, squats being my only bigger movement) totalling out on about 3-4 training days a week. I've trained like this for a long time but just lately having sore legs. My numbers in the squat have been the same, except they have felt a bit heavier the past weeks.

I've had sufficient sleep and food, haven't changed anything there so I can't figure out what it is all about. Should I take more weeks off from squating or just squat light?

Sorry about the bad english and for the long post.

Have a nice day!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Sore thighs for a long time

I would say do a deload week instead of just dropping off the squats entirely.

Just to match things up a little, do you squat low-bar or high-bar and is the soreness on the front or the back of the thighs?

Also, is that your whole training regimen or just part of it?

Your English is perfectly fine, nothing to apologize for there.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Esa Virtanen

Profile:

I squat low-barish, something inbetween the two but more to the lowbar style and only back squats.The soreness I have is on the front side, my quadriceps and the muscles around there. It stretches from the hips to the knee, so the it's the whole length of the muscle that's sore.

My normal training for a week is like this pretty much:

Monday - Squat - 5x5 or 8x3 Heavy. Dumbell rows 5x10ish

Wednesday - Squat - Top set + back off 3's 2's. Hamstring curl 5x10ish.

Friday - Squat - 4x6 or 4x8 lighter weights. Rows (be it on rings or w/e)

Saturday - Press with a 5/3/1 type of scheme once a week. Chinese Bridge 3x1min. Family safe

Rest of my gym time goes armwrestling specific training(mostly wrist stuff) and abs about 2 times a week(hollow holds only).

Last edited by Esa Virtanen : 03-13-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa Virtanen View Post
I squat low-barish, something inbetween the two but more to the lowbar style and only back squats.The soreness I have is on the front side, my quadriceps and the muscles around there. It stretches from the hips to the knee, so the it's the whole length of the muscle that's sore.

My normal training for a week is like this pretty much:

Monday - Squat - 5x5 or 8x3 Heavy. Dumbell rows 5x10ish

Wednesday - Squat - Top set + back off 3's 2's. Hamstring curl 5x10ish.

Friday - Squat - 4x6 or 4x8 lighter weights. Rows (be it on rings or w/e)

Saturday - Press with a 5/3/1 type of scheme once a week. Chinese Bridge 3x1min. Family safe

Rest of my gym time goes armwrestling specific training(mostly wrist stuff) and abs about 2 times a week(hollow holds only).
what are you doing for recovery? do you stretch everyday? how about a foam roller? you may try stretching everyday and roll out the quads every night.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Esa Virtanen

Profile:

Well I have never done anything for recovery except eating good and sleeping well. I have foam-rolled maybe 10 times in my life.

This is my first time I've ever actually had problems with something concerning weightlifting and training overall(I used to be swimming 10-13 times a week before) so it's new to me, I have always just thought if you go through full ROM and such, you get the stretching needed.

I guess I should start foamrolling to see how it feels. Any other techniques or ways to relieve tightness from muscles? My thighs really feel tight from time to time now.

Thank you.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

Some people aren't comfortable with them, but I find that a good massage therapist is one of the best things to do. Make sure you find one that's strong enough to actually get into your muscles though, not someone who is just there to rub in circles: it may hurt at first but in 2-3 days I would promise that you feel fine.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
Alicia Soret

Profile:

Another idea... and I dont know how you feel about supplements but I never knew anything about them until about 5 months into my CF training. I was working out 3 days a week (MWF) and was ALWAYS sore and hated it.. even after 4-5 months or so.

A friend was like, aren't you taking anything for recovery?!?! And she was shocked when I said no, I didn't know anything about it!

She recommended a GOOD fish oil (with high content of EPA/DHA) for inflammation as well as a whole lot of other health benefits, and she also recommended taking BCAAs. (branch chain amino acids) which helps tremendously for muscle recovery and repair.

I started taking both, but I usually dwindle on my fish oil even though I know I shouldn't. My BCAAs though, on the other hand, are a MIRACLE for me!! I went from 3 days a week to 10 days in a row, the week I started taking BCAAs. If you want suggestions on brands, private message me and I'll send you some links (not sure how they feel about posting brands here..) Best decision ever!