CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 12-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #71
Brett Dartt

Profile:
Re: A Must Read - 70s Big Style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Kind of funny, eh? It would be like someone bashing me and then using AtLarge's client base to market their own product. Not cool. You can't understand that?
if thats the way you want to see it, i would be more upset at his client base

Old 12-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #72
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Article seemed pretty balanced and fair to me. He even gives some outs for his critical statements.

Justin has a big open door policy when it comes to training, and I don't think he is trying to steel the CrossFit crowd. Since he use to have ties to CF mainly through Rip, he gets a lot of CFers and those who used to CF but who are loyal to Rip. They often ask about his opinions on CF this and that. And I think this summary was a natural extension of that.

Like any large group that has a broad almost all inclusive definition, there will be some issues and inconsistencies across the board. And I think he brings these to light with some personal insight. To me, it didn't seem as much of an attack as "informed consent" to those interested in CF.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:17 AM   #73
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I found it worth my time. The CrossFit timeline was helpful as I wasn't fully aware of all those points.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #74
Robert Beckett

Profile:

Quote:
Kind of funny, eh? It would be like someone bashing me and then using AtLarge's client base to market their own product. Not cool.
Many, if not most, readers of Justin's 70's Big site are unreserved detractors of CrossFit. Many of them are disenchanted ex-Crossfitters. Among such a Crossfit-hostile audience Justin's informed, moderate critique serves as a defense of Crossfit, not a bashing.

Not every critique is "hating" or "bashing".

Old 12-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #75
Dana Rice

Profile:

Quote:
I think the guy is attacking CrossFit HQ when in reality a huge portion of his site's members are CFers and therefore CF has a lot to do with his success. It bothers me when people take and give no credit/respect. I have seen the same thing done to Louie Simmons. It sucks. Those people suck.
While I agree, there appears to be a somewhat self-serving motive - in pointing out flaws and knocking CrossFit down to build his program up, its hard to discount what he says.

Chris - just out of pure curiosity, do you disagree with his critique of the "programming" of mainsite CrossFit?

"The conditioning often doesn’t apply an optimal stress and it’s superfluous. It doesn’t have any real element of consistent strength training . . . It has entirely too much frequency at high intensity and almost always results in injury. It doesn’t follow a logical application of stress to induce adaptation."

Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #76
Andrew Bell

Profile:

This was in the comments of that post. Just thought it should be shared since we are talking about it.....

Quote:
Justin Says:
December 8th, 2011 at 10:04 pm
Despite the long post, I knew I’d leave out a few things. The one I’m thinking of right now is how many of the workouts that Glassman created early on are really good conditioning (or met-con) workouts. Most of these are the first few “Girls” like Helen and Fran.

I have less of a problem with the “lack of strength training” (since it’s easily remedied by strength training more) than I do with the high frequency of superfluous workouts that are more of the norm the last few years (when compared to Glassman’s stuff around 2003/2004).

The latter can be remedied by resting and scaling appropriately.

I also don’t mind if someone is primarily “CrossFitting” and not strength training. Obviously I don’t prefer it personally. The only thing that bothers me is when it’s touted as the be all end all.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #77
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Quote:
Why do you post here? You obviously don't think much of CrossFit. There are plenty of other message boards that not owned BY CROSSFIT??? It bothers me a bit. It would be like someone coming to my house and just bashing it and me all of the time. Why would I want them there? Why would they want to be there? Call your thoughts whatever you want them to be, the fact remains they are highly critical of the company which pays for this site. We aren't talking about nuance criticisms, we are talking about macro level...

Anyway, enough of this thread for me.
Why do you not just follow mainsite programming? All this westside and westside for athletes stuff. Thats not crossfit. There are lots of other sites where you can go be big and strong you coming here is like a smack in the face to Tony Budding and his programming.

Also I paid this company for this site with my fees for the journal my certs, the rrg support, merchandise etc.. I unlike you do NOT make a profit by associating myself with the site.

Come on Chris its obviouse you seen dollar signes here there is no other reason for you to be so vocal about a program you dont even follow!

Old 12-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #78
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
Why do you not just follow mainsite programming? All this westside and westside for athletes stuff. Thats not crossfit. There are lots of other sites where you can go be big and strong you coming here is like a smack in the face to Tony Budding and his programming.

Also I paid this company for this site with my fees for the journal my certs, the rrg support, merchandise etc.. I unlike you do NOT make a profit by associating myself with the site.

Come on Chris its obviouse you seen dollar signes here there is no other reason for you to be so vocal about a program you dont even follow!
Have you read Chris' Journal articles?