CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 06-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #31
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: I need you to guess what I weigh. (Pic)

If you put on 20lbs of muscle, your body will no longer magically gravitate down to 150, I promise.

What are your 1RM BS, DL, C&J and Press?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #32
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Kerby View Post
I believe your body "wants" to be around a particular size. The 175 I started at clearly wasn't that size for me. I radically changed up my workout routine by starting crossfit (and didn't change anything else) and in just a few weeks I had lost over 20 pounds. This was my body adapting to the demand crossfit was putting on me.
No, if you lost 20 pounds in a few weeks, that was your body trying to cope with near-starvation.

Most fit women your height weigh more than you do. Eat something, then go lift something heavy. Repeat until you've gained those 20 pounds back.

Katherine
Old 06-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #33
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Wait a second, stop the bus.

You trained bodyubuilding for 4+ years and ended up at 5'10" and 175lbs? Seriously?

Looks like you're a lot more successful with CF than you were BB.

Tamara is right, put on at least 20 pounds.

Shoot, I'm 5'11" and about 230-235 and I feel small some days.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #34
Cameron Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
If you put on 20lbs of muscle, your body will no longer magically gravitate down to 150, I promise.

What are your 1RM BS, DL, C&J and Press?
I haven't taken much time outside the daily wods to practice 1 rm's, but so far I'm around 225 bs, 315 dl (3rm), 145 c&j? (it's been like 3 months) and my last 1rm press was 150. My legs have always been weak... that's been my biggest hurdle since starting. I never did oly lifts before so I'm still learning a lot of form. Right now I suck at most of the lifts. I enjoy pullups, hspu, and muscle-ups a lot more so I tend to ignore the important stuff. I know, I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
Wait a second, stop the bus.

You trained bodyubuilding for 4+ years and ended up at 5'10" and 175lbs? Seriously?

Looks like you're a lot more successful with CF than you were BB.

Tamara is right, put on at least 20 pounds.

Shoot, I'm 5'11" and about 230-235 and I feel small some days.
I never said I was bodybuilding! I was following a bb-type routine. Isolated muscle movements, low reps, lax pace- the usual for globo gym goers.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #35
Paul Droubay

Profile:

Back in April I posted something similar in the Nutritional forum. I was also 5'10" and weighed 153. Based on the feedback that you're now getting, I went on the Simple Yet Effective Strength and Conditioning program (70s Big) and started eating. A lot.

Now I'm at 172 and setting PRs in every lift. Clothes are fitting differently, so the changes are now being noticed by everyone (Before no one noticed if I had marvelous abs). I feel great and I'm really enjoying the added strength. I haven't done a WOD in a while, but I know that I would do a lot better at them now performance-wise.

And the best part? My wife really likes the added weight, and quite prefers it. As for me (and my wife), it's been better to eat, lift and look heavier.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #36
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Kerby View Post
I never said I was bodybuilding! I was following a bb-type routine. Isolated muscle movements, low reps, lax pace- the usual for globo gym goers.
Over 4 years, if you were training hard and had even a somewhat ok diet, you should have gained more than 20lbs. IMO.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #37
Cameron Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
Over 4 years, if you were training hard and had even a somewhat ok diet, you should have gained more than 20lbs. IMO.
I started at 120...
Old 06-19-2011, 01:24 AM   #38
Adam Carlson

Profile:

I'm going to jump in and say that yes, it is your body, and they are your goals.

If I were you, I would look to add those 20+ pounds somehow.

I'm a wrestling coach, and I have lots of wrestlers who feel that cutting weight to get in to a lighter weightclass will help them achieve victory. Sometimes this works, but more often than not, guys who do this end up messing themselves up and don't do well. Why? Because in the process of cutting weight, they lose a lot of muscle, which means lost strength, which means getting thrown around the mat.

I know that you're not a wrestler, but what I'm trying to get at is that if you added 20 pounds of muscle, you would have more performance capability. More strength for doing pull ups, more strength for doing HSPUs, more strength for doing muscle ups, etc. Adding 20 pounds of muscle is NOT the same as adding a 20 pound weighted vest and doing a WOD, since the weight vest doesn't help you perform better. Being 175 with plenty of muscle will only help your performance, not detract from it.

Add the muscle, and your lifts and MetCon performance will go up dramatically.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #39
Jason Denny

Profile:

Damn, I weighed that as a Freshman in HS...24 yrs ago. Haha. Being 6'2" I weigh in at around 228lbs right now. I like being over 200lbs...it serves me well as a police officer. I'm not fat and I can lift REALLY heavy things. It only sucks for some of the high rep body weight WOD's and I'm not a superfast 400-800m runner. I might have missed it but what was the point of the OP? I got below 200lbs once about 6 years ago and my wife yelled at me because I looked sick. Try gaining a bit more muscle and see your workouts improve.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #40
Jason Wallis

Profile:

I hate putting shirtless pics on the webz, but in this case it seems appropriate, so you can see what 220 lbs looks like on a frame your height. I'm possibly an inch taller than you, and out weigh you by over 65 lbs. You could easily add 30 lbs and still not be fat...
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...5/352249d6.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...5/ccbd22ab.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...5/4ea5813d.jpg