CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #51
Darla Powell

Profile:
Re: Rhabdo... 4 days after Rhabdo. URGENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Sure. 54 threads over 5 years, including people who left and 34,000 total members 2023 active ones. Really, I like my odds. When you talk about the tens of thousands who go through basic every year, and the millions? who run marathons, you go ahead and make the CF sample as small as you want.

Why are you so stuck on this as a threat? What's your interest?
I'm actually not. This could have ended for me several posts ago. I do believe Crossfit can cause more injury for a myriad of reasons. Rhabdo? I don't know. SLAP repairs? Yeah .
Old 12-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #52
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Ow.

I'll bet she's in a real hurry to go back, too...

If I were an affiliate owner, I'd put rhabdo avoidance very high on my list of goals.

Katherine
She actually is- when she went back in for a check-up on her kidney function she was told she could go back, and she was pretty excited.

Quote:
Exactly. Thank goodness for CFs aggressive awareness efforts.
I know a lot more marathoners than crossfitters. I don't know any marathoners who have gotten rhabdo and I don't know any crossfitters who know what rhabdo is. Granted, that is a self-selected sample.

Having my girlfriend in the hospital with a potentially terminal condition makes me feel like there should have been a bit more use of the clown. And yeah, we made her pitting edema a joke, because what else is there to do but laugh about it?
Old 12-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #53
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla Powell View Post
I'm actually not. This could have ended for me several posts ago. I do believe Crossfit can cause more injury for a myriad of reasons. Rhabdo? I don't know. SLAP repairs? Yeah .
So don't do CrossFit. No problem. Again, 34,000 other people or 2223 or whatever the number is. They'll manage the loss.

I don't think the CF injury rate is particularly high. It exists and I'm sure one is too many etc, but really, it's a hard PT program, someone will get hurt. I'm not trying to be callous, but that's reality when you have a hard program with exponential growth.

I'm sorry you hurt your shoulder and hope your surgery goes well.

Allen no one you know who CFs knows what rhabdo is? I am genuinely surprised. I am not an affiliate guy and I know

Last edited by Robert D Taylor Jr; 12-20-2010 at 02:08 PM..
Old 12-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #54
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla Powell View Post
I think it's pretty interesting, especially when you take into consideration that a very very small percentage post on forums. Just food for thought. I am sure if I had Rhabdo I would post it, but most people have their priorities straight .

And if a discipline lists it's number 4 ( number 4, really?!) rule as don't kill people with Rhabdo....Just sayin'. Who knows?
So medically speaking Rhabdo has so many causes; car accidents, burns, etc.... that you honestly think Crossfit type exercise attributes to a large proportion of that? Again, I'll take the bet for sure. Better yet, let's see if any
Physicians on the board are willing to recount all the different cases of Rhabdo they have seen or have even heard of and what they were attributed to...
Old 12-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #55
John Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Tluczek View Post

I know a lot more marathoners than crossfitters. I don't know any marathoners who have gotten rhabdo and I don't know any crossfitters who know what rhabdo is. Granted, that is a self-selected sample.
Boot camp, SFAS, Q Course, FLETC, deployments, etc -- I've seen lots of dangerous heat casualties but had never heard of rhabdo before CF. The only rhabdo I saw in the military was at JM school when someone just back from a L1 cert put his buddy through an hour-long pull up workout.

Let's just recognize that CF workouts are more likely to produce rhabdo than other workout programs. Some folks (affiliate owners?) are too defensive when any of the negative aspects of CF are mentioned. Nothing, not even CF, is perfect. It's something to recognize and take steps to avoid, which I think CF has tried to do.

----------------------------

I doubt anyone I know outside of medics know what rhabdo is, and the first time I heard about it was from the one case that I witnessed. So I guess CF is good for rhabdo awareness.

Last edited by John Hansen; 12-20-2010 at 02:38 PM..
Old 12-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #56
Darla Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hansen View Post
Boot camp, SFAS, Q Course, FLETC, deployments, etc -- I've seen lots of dangerous heat casualties but had never heard of rhabdo before CF. The only rhabdo I saw in the military was at JM school when someone just back from a L1 cert put his buddy through an hour-long pull up workout.

Let's just recognize that CF workouts are more likely to produce rhabdo than other workout programs. Some folks (affiliate owners?) are too defensive when any of the negative aspects of CF are mentioned. Nothing, not even CF, is perfect. It's something to recognize and take steps to avoid, which I think CF has tried to do.

----------------------------

I doubt anyone I know outside of medics know what rhabdo is, and the first time I heard about it was from the one case that I witnessed. So I guess CF is good for rhabdo awareness.
I've been working out since I was 16 and through two police academies and never heard of Rhabdo until CF. What does that mean? Nothing really I guess.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #57
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Darla, you take care of that shoulder! I'm rooting for you! As for CF and Rhabdo. If I were to take a guess as to why it is coming up in CF discussions, I'd say that many of us are not accustomed to high quantity of intensity and work. We also pride ourselves in the HTFU factor, something my shoulders want no part of. I hope that anyone returning to exercize post-Rhabdo would pay careful attention to scale, and hydrate, and avoid soreness.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #58
Darla Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer View Post
Darla, you take care of that shoulder! I'm rooting for you! As for CF and Rhabdo. If I were to take a guess as to why it is coming up in CF discussions, I'd say that many of us are not accustomed to high quantity of intensity and work. We also pride ourselves in the HTFU factor, something my shoulders want no part of. I hope that anyone returning to exercize post-Rhabdo would pay careful attention to scale, and hydrate, and avoid soreness.
Thanks Lenora
Old 12-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #59
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

Quote:
Allen no one you know who CFs knows what rhabdo is? I am genuinely surprised. I am not an affiliate guy and I know
Yeah- again it's a self selecting problem. I know 3 or 4 people who follow MP, associate themselves with the "Crossfit" brand, support the brand financially. Apparently the affiliated trainer my girlfriend went to didn't know. A smattering of people at my gym had heard of it, but not really much about it. There probably should be more knowledge about it, I think, humerous or otherwise.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #60
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Never heard of Rhabdo until I started CF. I was in the Army for 20+ years and have been through some hellish schools and training worldwide. Now that I know about Rhabdo I'm much more observant of myself and workout partners