CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #81
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Taking steroids before joining the military?

Where did you see $100 for the GSLP book? It's only $30 here (WFS). You must have been looking at a 3 or 4 book combo pack.

You can read everything you'd ever want to know about the program for free on this thread (WFS).

I agree with most of what Peter said--but notice he said "medium size guys that are strong," not 130lb guys who aren't. So you've got a long way to go before you need to worry about being too big to fit in a HMMWV or a house. And as for the part about losing all your mass, I'd say that's all the more reason to go in on the slightly bigger and stronger side. If you're going to lose 20-30lbs during a course, wouldn't you rather start it at 6' and 200lbs (so you'd end up at a still-healthy weight) rather than starting at 6' and 180lbs and ending up at a sickly-skinny weight? I'm 6' tall, and back in 2005 I went from 180lbs to 165lbs in only 9 days during a force on force patrolling exercise so yeah, I was wishing I'd had a few more pounds on me to start with since you could pretty much see through me once it was over with.

I'm still baffled by this Sgt's insistence that you'll "build up to it" and get stronger in basic training. Strength work is the last thing you'll be able to do, almost everything is bodyweight stuff and hiking with packs. It's not like your DIs/DSs will be taking 50-60 recruits to a weight room and teaching them how to squat properly, then giving you ample time and food to recover well.

Bottom line, you're still 130lbs and weak. I'd highly recommend you gain 30-40lbs and a corresponding amount of strength as quickly as possible. Correct, you can't do SS if you're doing PT as well, but you could possibly make GSLP work along with a 2-3x per week PT program assuming you actually start eating enough to support significant activity.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #82
David Villalobos

Profile:

Eric Parham, I never thought of it that way. Some at my PT or even ex military guys I see just tell me to run and do push ups. But after making this thread I'm convinced otherwise.

Eric Montogomery, Thanks Eric! I can't believe I couldn't find that link myself but thanks! This program sounds perfect to go with PT, as you said before. Thanks for the links though.
And thats very true, I hadn't of thought of that. If I can hit 180 or even 190s I'd be in perfect shape but that's a long way to go from now. But damn, that sounds brutal to lose that much weight in only 9 days. But I get what your saying.
And I don't know either, I mean he's a cool guy but it doesn't make sense. Haha I'm going to tell him that and see what he says.

And yeah thanks a lot Eric and everyone else who put in there thoughts on this thread! I really appreciate it! Doing both GSLP and PT should give me gains. But yea i'm figuring that out about what I should be eating right now.

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #83
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Michael, when you say enhancements your just talking about the illegal ones right or you saying all supplements?

I really meant anything like steriods.....Aminos and creatine could be classified as enhancers. Not that they are all bad, but you just have to watch yourself and what you take.

If you ever need any help with the military or have questions, feel free to PM me.

Michael
Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #84
David Villalobos

Profile:

Thanks Michael I'll keep that in mind!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #85
Peter Villa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Where did you see $100 for the GSLP book? It's only $30 here (WFS). You must have been looking at a 3 or 4 book combo pack.

You can read everything you'd ever want to know about the program for free on this thread (WFS).

I agree with most of what Peter said--but notice he said "medium size guys that are strong," not 130lb guys who aren't. So you've got a long way to go before you need to worry about being too big to fit in a HMMWV or a house. And as for the part about losing all your mass, I'd say that's all the more reason to go in on the slightly bigger and stronger side. If you're going to lose 20-30lbs during a course, wouldn't you rather start it at 6' and 200lbs (so you'd end up at a still-healthy weight) rather than starting at 6' and 180lbs and ending up at a sickly-skinny weight? I'm 6' tall, and back in 2005 I went from 180lbs to 165lbs in only 9 days during a force on force patrolling exercise so yeah, I was wishing I'd had a few more pounds on me to start with since you could pretty much see through me once it was over with.

I'm still baffled by this Sgt's insistence that you'll "build up to it" and get stronger in basic training. Strength work is the last thing you'll be able to do, almost everything is bodyweight stuff and hiking with packs. It's not like your DIs/DSs will be taking 50-60 recruits to a weight room and teaching them how to squat properly, then giving you ample time and food to recover well.

Bottom line, you're still 130lbs and weak. I'd highly recommend you gain 30-40lbs and a corresponding amount of strength as quickly as possible. Correct, you can't do SS if you're doing PT as well, but you could possibly make GSLP work along with a 2-3x per week PT program assuming you actually start eating enough to support significant activity.
Sorry it's taken me a while to post up. Just getting back from Garage Games ONE. So sick!

I am tabbed. But I also spent some time in Reg. Just a couple of years.

I didn't realize you weighed 130lbs man. That's kinda small even for the military. You definitely need to bulk up, but nothing ridiculous because you won't be able to keep it. I agree with Eric, you just do not have weight room time. Not at first. You'll lose it all. All you do is run, run, ruck, run, run, walk, run, ruck, push ups, run, ruck, push ups, push ups, pull ups.... you get the point. The heaviest thing you'll pick up is your ruck. And eventually, you'll build the muscles for that.

Don't even stress it man. Do what you can now to get a stronger and as big as you can (at your weight, that's probably only 20 lbs heavier), but don't think you're going to go in there and kick *** and take names. All of it is designed to break everyone. No matter how strong, flexible, crossfit, big, they are.... it'll break them. They'll just keep at you. You'll be fine though.

But definitely get a little bigger.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to let my fingers thaw out from being in the cold all day. Brrrrrr.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #86
David Hanson

Profile:

I weighed 145 going into the USMC five years ago. Now I weigh 157. Gotta agree with past posts: eat a lot and lift heavy things. Bare in mind your specific physical standards as well. 157 isn't a lot of weight but the way I put it on drew back my run time a bit.

Personally I'm on the mind to run through a wall rather than around it but you've still gotta get there somehow.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #87
David Villalobos

Profile:

Hey! Sorry I haven't been able to post but thanks Peter and David!

Peter, yeah I'm only 130 haha I gained about 3 pounds from PT and hitting the gym but i'm working my way up there, slowly. I'm just kinda confused on what you said about only 20lbs heavier? You mean my body weight plus 20lbs??

And that's great advice, I never really thought about being broken down. I'm sure its not the best feeling in the world but so many men and women have gone through it, so I plan on too.

David, thanks for your reply! Yeah I agree with Eric too, eating a lot and lifting heavy will definitely put size on me. Just incorporating PT and GSLP seems to be challenging but i'll figure it out.